January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sanchez isn't supposed to be good in the air, he's never been good in the air. Skriniar is both poor in the air and gives a lot of fouls, literally as bad a combination as possible for us right now:

Stats are deceiving and it's a low sample size but wow, Tanganga really comes across well there. I've gathered from Inter forums as well that Skriniar's not the best in the air either, though we've also known that he's been in poor form the last 2 years so last season might not be the best yardstick to judge by.

Vs Rodon for curiosity's sake: Comparing Rodon's 2019-20 stats to Tottenham's current centre-backs - Planet Football

It's Championship ofc, but at least Rodon does look decent here:
- relatively high successful aerial duels, in the Dier/Tanganga tier (60% vs Skriniar's 52%)
- second-highest successful tackles to Toby (73% vs Skriniar's 65%)
- second-highest interceptions to Tanganga (1.7 vs Skriniar's 1.0)
- second-lowest fouls to Toby (0.7 vs Skriniar's 1.8)
- highest clearances (5.7 vs Skriniar's 2.8)
- passing accuracy at the Toby/Dier level below Skriniar and Sanchez (82% vs Skriniar's 92%), I think doesn't say much though because we don't know if those are progressive passes or safe ones - he's supposed to be known for his long passing

On paper Rodon does look like what we need right now stylistically, so I hope we give him a shot. I do want to buy a True Senior CB to be our first-choice, but obviously it depends on our options in a window that's notoriously difficult (cue Steve Hitchens grouchface).

If we cannot give him playing time it is the right thing to do. Would still trust him more coming off the bench than Winks. Far more creative and comfortable with the ball than him. And with Gio and Tanguy still seemingly fighting for fitness I could definitely see a place for him off the bench to help keep them healthy.

And let's be honest. With our luck we are going to have 2-3 injured midfielders around January time so sending him home could be something we end up regretting.
I prefer Winks over Gedson even if he's a bit light and sometimes bulges under pressure.

We've got a full squad atm - and need to lose one overseas trained players just to get Rodon a space in EL squad.

January has never been a great time to do business for any club, so really not optimistic we can shift the players we really need to upgrade on (eg Aurier, Sissoko and either Moura (low goals/assists per 90) or the ever inured Lamela etc).....so not optimistic on bringing players in this January.

We'll face the same problem in the next summer transfer window - but over the 3 months transfer window think we will find ways to move on the players like Aurier, Sissoko, Lamela/Moura as well as maybe Alderweireld or Sanchez to bring in another 4 - 6 better players as well as find a space for the returning Skipp as a back up DM and Tanganga who will need to be registered next season.

He's only made 10 appearances for Palace (not all starts), so doubt if its a January purchase, more likely to wait until summer to see how he does in the rest of the season - especially when we have Reguilon and Davies to cover LB already, and other positions to deal with more urgently.

Plays in same position as Cirkin, who Mourhino was saying would be involved in Spurs first team, as well as Sessegnon who seems to be settling well on loan at Hoffenheim.

I know we haven't seen much of Gedson but if he was here on a permanent deal a loan to an English club would massively help him adapt I feel.. but yeah it will benefit him the most if he goes back.

Now that we have caught up on transfers and are stronger, all we need is to slowly improve the squad once we settle down to see where we are.
If we can win something this year, our task gets easier.
Major decisions about Lloris and Kane would then be put off.
That leaves RB AND CB. Skrinier and the guy from Middlesborough?
CAMAVINGA ? Or we could just try and get Clarke up to the level.
Skippy will be coming back.
Cannot see Dele, Aurier, Toby being here after next summer.

I think the priorities in the next two windows should be:

- Top quality centre half: This will be the biggest outlay. We need to bring in someone better than all our current centre backs to lead the team. It's possible we need two as with Toby probably in his last year, I don't think relying on Sanchez or Dier is a great strategy long-term.

It's hard because it looks like Rodon and Tanganga have great potential so one of them could emerge as the first choice option alongside the new guy. If they are good enough then we don't want to stunt their development either, so one to be wary of.

But in the near term as a group this is okay:
-New top draw CB
- Dier
-Sanchez
-Rodon
-Tanganga

Ultimately we sell and upgrade Dier/Sanchez with another top quality CB but this is a medium term problem as we monitor Tanganga and Rodon's development.

- Central midfield:
Given our more recent system with Hojberg and Sissoko sitting behind great attacking options I think upgrading Sissoko is a big priority.

Skipp comes in for Winks next season essentially and plays understudy to Hojberg.
We then need someone who can provide the energy that Sissoko does but who is ideally more defensively-minded and has more technical quality.

I actually don't mind Sissoko as a squad player so as long as he can maintain his athleticism he is worth keeping around. If we sell him we need to bring in two for that role.

Outgoings
I would say cash in on Dele as he is probably still our most valuable asset that isn't being utilised currently so maybe he can still fetch a decent fee from a stupid club like PSG who buy any old shite. He literally has no chance of getting into the team with the attacking options now ahead of him.

Winks likewise could fetch a decent fee for his English premium and I don't see much of a future for him here.

I would say more medium term you would look to upgrade Lamela/Lucas as they start to reach 30 but I think they are still perfectly good squad options considering we also have Bale/Bergjwin as right side options.

Toby we sell to a Chinese/US club next summer.

Summary

In:
Centre back (Is Skriniar the best we can do?)
Central midfield runner (Insert latest fashionable Ligue 1 product here)

Out:
Winks
Toby
Dele

EDIT:

Forgot to factor in that if Vinicius proves himself and we want an option there we will have to fork out a decent amount to get him next summer. Alternatively we take a risk and get Milik on a free.

Last edited:
Not really a fan of Skriniar. Kristoffer Ajer could be interesting, did pretty well against England in the Nation's League match, he's a big lad, and I doubt he wants to stick around at Celtic with how they're looking this year.

Not really a fan of Skriniar. Kristoffer Ajer could be interesting, did pretty well against England in the Nation's League match, he's a big lad, and I doubt he wants to stick around at Celtic with how they're looking this year

I watch a fair bit of Celtic and while Ajer looks quite impressive I don't see him as the leader/general we need in there. He looks good on the ball but a bit suspect defensively to me.

He would fit alongside Rodon and Tanganga as promising options.

But him plus a more experienced top quality option could work.

I think the priorities in the next two windows should be:

- Top quality centre half: This will be the biggest outlay. We need to bring in someone better than all our current centre backs to lead the team. It's possible we need two as with Toby probably in his last year, I don't think relying on Sanchez or Dier is a great strategy long-term.

It's hard because it looks like Rodon and Tanganga have great potential so one of them could emerge as the first choice option alongside the new guy. If they are good enough then we don't want to stunt their development either, so one to be wary of.

But in the near term as a group this is okay:
-New top draw CB
- Dier
-Sanchez
-Rodon
-Tanganga

Ultimately we sell and upgrade Dier/Sanchez with another top quality CB but this is a medium term problem as we monitor Tanganga and Rodon's development.

- Central midfield:
Given our more recent system with Hojberg and Sissoko sitting behind great attacking options I think upgrading Sissoko is a big priority.

Skipp comes in for Winks next season essentially and plays understudy to Hojberg.
We then need someone who can provide the energy that Sissoko does but who is ideally more defensively-minded and has more technical quality.

I actually don't mind Sissoko as a squad player so as long as he can maintain his athleticism he is worth keeping around. If we sell him we need to bring in two for that role.

Outgoings
I would say cash in on Dele as he is probably still our most valuable asset that isn't being utilised currently so maybe he can still fetch a decent fee from a stupid club like PSG who buy any old shite. He literally has no chance of getting into the team with the attacking options now ahead of him.

Winks likewise could fetch a decent fee for his English premium and I don't see much of a future for him here.

I would say more medium term you would look to upgrade Lamela/Lucas as they start to reach 30 but I think they are still perfectly good squad options considering we also have Bale/Bergjwin as right side options.

Toby we sell to a Chinese/US club next summer.

Summary

In:
Central midfield runner (Insert latest fashionable Ligue 1 product here)

Out:
Winks
Toby
Dele

EDIT:

Forgot to factor in that if Vinicius proves himself and we want an option there we will have to fork out a decent amount to get him next summer. Alternatively we take a risk and get Milik on a free.
Agreed except Winks going out.
Need him for the homegrown clause, and still can be a good rotation option.

As for centreback, if we are parting with Toby, we need two centrebacks.

How on earth are we going to get rid of Toby on the contract we just gave him

José rushed into that and it’s going to be an Ozil like weight on the books

Toby is by far our best CB how is it going to be close to an Ozil like weight when he makes our team better every time he plays?

How are we going to get rid of Toby when our other options are either unproven (Rodon/Tanganga) or crap (Dier/Sanchez)?

Back
Top Bottom