January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wish we could see Lewis's face, when Levy asked him to pony £50M up front and £25M over 5years (or whatever the asking sums are.

Just puts him in 'Oil Money Only' scope. If it's truly virtually 'Lump sum'.
the spending that they have done along with this shows the are serious about competing. We just have to hope they get it wrong with the signings.

Wish we could see Lewis's face, when Levy asked him to pony £50M up front and £25M over 5years (or whatever the asking sums are.

Just puts him in 'Oil Money Only' scope. If it's truly virtually 'Lump sum'.

I'll start with the fact I don't think we're anywhere near this deal or this player but....

He has 18 months on his contract. If he doesn't go anywhere this window he's pretty much has to go in the summer. Eventually Fiorentina will realise that they're cutting their nose off to spite their face as he'll go for sod all eventually.

I'll start with the fact I don't think we're anywhere near this deal or this player but....

He has 18 months on his contract. If he doesn't go anywhere this window he's pretty much has to go in the summer. Eventually Fiorentina will realise that they're cutting their nose off to spite their face as he'll go for sod all eventually.
I'm not sure Fiorentina are standing in his way. From what I have read, they are more than open to him going this window. The whole price bundle being quoted is fee, wages and agent fees.

From what I have seen, the player is wanting to stay until the summer.

We won't sign anyone. Another window of Levy and Lewis fooling on us.

Something will happen we are just waiting to bring money in first. It seems obvious that is what's happening. I've more issue of who we are bringing in. I desperately want the squad improved but I'm not convinced swapping Bergwijn for Traore really does much at all.

But don’t you think £2.5b ( not including the debt ) is unreasonable , they are adding the debt as part of its valuation & it’s a debt that doesn’t belong to ENIC .

I've literally been responding to that assertion.

Scenario:

You hear a rumbling that the Saudi's are sniffing around football in general with the idea of buying a club. You have a club that you know that you want to sell eventually, however you're not immediately driven to sell at that point in time.

You can A) ignore the rumblings and just wait a number of years until you are outright ready to sell or B) you can put word out that you would sell be willing to sell, but only at a price large enough to compensate any forecasted benefits of your end game(*).

(*In terms of end-game as just stated: "Every bit of debt paid in the meantime is effectively money in their pocket come sale time."....... This is why it's always been bogus the accustations that Levy is a "thief", "the bale money was stolen" yadda yadda; when the truth is money has not been taken out of the club..... Anyone that took time to understand how this all works would have know the ENICs big payoff is the final sale and that their profit will be dictated by how little debt they can leave the club with at the end.)

....Alternatively; maybe the above offer for sale was just to provoke dialogue? .....We'll never know, cos (afaik) no offer or counter-offer ever came.

If they sold up tomorrow and they got the above asking price, I doubt many would give a shit.

Chavs are currently valued at £2.5b

......Whom have a 1.5bn debt to Roman on their books.

As a buyer are you willing to consider a shelf price of 1bn? .....Or 2.5 bn (understanding that in real terms that's a 4 bn liability you are required to shoulder)?

.....I think the Liverpool evaluation is a far more interesting comparison cos (afaik) they don't have a 9 figure debt to consider.

I'm not sure Fiorentina are standing in his way. From what I have read, they are more than open to him going this window. The whole price bundle being quoted is fee, wages and agent fees.

reeks of the club wanting rid, so not a great sign TBH. Would prefer a decent player to be identified, already have a buyout clause that is met. The selling club maybe trying to renegotiate a deal to keep their player. One trying to whore him worries me

This article is totally rubbish. It really looks as if the author of this article either does not know anything about football or just wants to make Sarr look as bad as possible - or both.
Below are his stats for this season:

I just looked up his stats for this season (Metz have played 20 games):
Sarr has played 18 games. Started 15 games, sub 3. 1250 minutes altogether.
Scored 1 and 1 assist
He has 5 yellow cards, so he's missed at least 1 game due to cards.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/403859/Show/Pape-Sarr

OverallHomeAway
TournamentAppsMinsGoalsAssistsYelRedSpGPS%AerialsWonMotMRating
Ligue 113(5)1250115-182.91.1-6.43
Total / Average1812501150182.91.106.43
Sarr started slowly but he has picked himself up now. His game v PSG was incredible. Just another article talking total bollocks.

I've literally been responding to that assertion.

Scenario:

You hear a rumbling that the Saudi's are sniffing around football in general with the idea of buying a club. You have a club that you know that you want to sell eventually, however you're not immediately driven to sell at that point in time.

You can A) ignore the rumblings and just wait a number of years until you are outright ready to sell or B) you can put word out that you would sell be willing to sell, but only at a price large enough to compensate any forecasted benefits of your end game(*).

(*In terms of end-game as just stated: "Every bit of debt paid in the meantime is effectively money in their pocket come sale time."....... This is why it's always been bogus the accustations that Levy is a "thief", "the bale money was stolen" yadda yadda; when the truth is money has not been taken out of the club..... Anyone that took time to understand how this all works would have know the ENICs big payoff is the final sale and that their profit will be dictated by how little debt they can leave the club with at the end.)

....Alternatively; maybe the above offer for sale was just to provoke dialogue? .....We'll never know, cos (afaik) no offer or counter-offer ever came.

If they sold up tomorrow and they got the above asking price, I doubt many would give a shit.

......Whom have a 1.5bn debt to Roman on their books.

As a buyer are you willing to consider a shelf price of 1bn? .....Or 2.5 bn (understanding that in real terms that's a 4 bn liability you are required to shoulder)?

.....I think the Liverpool evaluation is a far more interesting comparison cos (afaik) they don't have a 9 figure debt to consider.
It’s not compensation though if they’re including the unpaid debt

They can't actually take the value of the stadium. Imagine selling a house with 90% mortgage for 100% market value and then the new owner has to pay the mortgage off.
I swear some of the comments like this come from 15 year olds with no concept of how these things work.
ENIC either:
Sell for the full value and have to pay off the debt, leaving the new owner(s) with no OS debt on anything or;
Sell for what they actually own leaving the new owners to pick up the outstanding debt.

I suggest you've not been reading properly if you think people have said otherwise.

There's no way even the richest people in the world would pay outright for the club, they'd rather pay a much smaller up front cost and then deal with the debt.

Perhaps not; but as it's necessary to keep reminding people.... Any hypothetical sale STARTS with ENIC's motivations; not the preferences of a currently non-existent suitor.

If someone knocks on your door tomorrow asking to buy your house; if you have no desire to sell you aren't going to invite them in to discuss an offer are you? It would have to be an eye-watering, waaay above market offer to trigger any deeper dialogue would it not?

The post I quoted said they want money up front not in instalments.

reeks of the club wanting rid, so not a great sign TBH. Would prefer a decent player to be identified, already have a buyout clause that is met. The selling club maybe trying to renegotiate a deal to keep their player. One trying to whore him worries me
I don't think the club are wanting to get rid of him due to his attitude or performances, more for a finance requirement. He looks a solid player, but I'm relying on youtube there, and Vincent Janssen looked world class on youtube.

Something will happen we are just waiting to bring money in first. It seems obvious that is what's happening. I've more issue of who we are bringing in. I desperately want the squad improved but I'm not convinced swapping Bergwijn for Traore really does much at all.

Agree, seems likely we'll agree with Kessie, post Afcon, then trying to bring it forward (hopefully by subsidising a loan to them for NDombele).

Loosing NDombele's attitude, and adding Kessie (who will only be signing to play/train under Conte) even if he adds little on the pitch over PEH, would hugely increase our competitiveness.

Then PEH might show his Denmark form, with plentiful rest, and be viable rotation with Kessie or Skipp.

Think the lack of multiple links (CM), gives suggestive hope, that he has privately shaken hands, and more hopefully this is an A list player from Conte.

It’s not compensation though if they’re including the unpaid debt

'Compensation'...... Semantics, my friend... Choose a preferred word.

"Every bit of debt paid in the meantime is effectively money in their pocket come sale time."

Projected yield? ... I dunno, whatever the wafty financial term ought to be in that investment scenario.

Last edited:
I saw someone mention Alen Halilovic in jest so looked him up.
I remember him being labelled the next best thing and he looked a bit like Modric so it must have been true.

People bitched and moaned that we didn't sign him and missed out when he went to Barcelona.
Looking at his career ever since, he has done absolutely fuck all ever since.

But don’t you think £2.5b ( not including the debt ) is unreasonable , they are adding the debt as part of its valuation & it’s a debt that doesn’t belong to ENIC .

Chavs are currently valued at £2.5b
You would buy chavs all day long their global appeal is wider due to their success we on the other hand are not

I wouldn't be surprised to see Adama plus a couple of loans around deadline day.

What annoys me in that scenario is that we've wasted a whole month trying to survive on a threadbare squad, been knocked out of the league cup and have tough league games coming up with no reinforcements.

You would buy chavs all day long their global appeal is wider due to their success we on the other hand are not

And you don't need to spend hundreds of millions to make them competetive.
To be honest, I'd buy Watford or Reading over Spurs. Be about £50m to buy the club, £300m on players, £100m to build a big stand at one end and they'd probably be outcompeting Spurs in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom