January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Meh...

Levy should have loosened the purse strings and unleashed the war chest yes, but it wouldn't have been any guarantee of success, look at what happened when he did give Poch money.

And given that Poch still wants Ndombele NOW, I'm not sure he deserves your faith in his ability to pick a player.

That's why I said well spent!

Although yes, Poch in the market is questionable at best. But we should really operate in a similar way to Liverpool, as in we have a committee and we sign players based on attributes the manager values, but we don't necessarily allow them to 'demand' certain players if the DoF/scouting/analyst team don't fancy them.

Lennon????? ........Bit random innit?

Lucas, Son, Chadli..... Dele & Eriksen both didn't productive stints out wide before settling more centrally...... Berg (injury record has been shit tbf)?

The rest is back to that age old argument though innit.....

Eriksen > GLC (42m)
Jan > Sanchez (40m)
Walker > Serge / Emerson (combined approx 50m)

It's not a lack of spending that's the issue there.
I agree.

A lack of spending hasn't always been the issue, although they are instances where it has been (Grealish being a good example)

Money has been spent, but as you mention, the scouting on these players has been the let down. We all wnated Ndombele so I'll take that one out. But others have been our scouting team not being good enough.

Even if, and I'm sure we won't, but if we sign Diaz, any excitement will be tempered y the array of glaring holes in the squad, the lack of quality depth across the board, and the fact that his signing doesn't really address any of the key problem areas within the squad:

Back up for Kane - Nope
Creativity in midfield - Nope
LCB - Nope
RWB - Nope

He is just an extra bod in the area of the pitch that we are arguably strongest in.
Because every EPL side signs four starting players in January - oh wait that's never happened - still makes for a good post right?

We've signed Kane back-ups before who turned out to be meh
We've signed creative midfielders who turned out to be shite
We've signed LCB's
We've signed RWB's

Just signing players isn't the issue, ask Everton, it's signing top four players that matters.

Just which striker/midfielder/defender who has moved to the EPL this window could we have signed?

Because every EPL side signs four starting players in January - oh wait that's never happened - still makes for a good post right?

We've signed Kane back-ups before who turned out to be meh
We've signed creative midfielders who turned out to be shite
We've signed LCB's
We've signed RWB's

Just signing players isn't the issue, ask Everton, it's signing top four players that matters.

Just which striker/midfielder/defender who has moved to the EPL this window could we have signed?
I didn't say we had to sign all 4 in one window, but if we're only going to sign one player in a window it should address one of the 4 glaring inadequacies don't you think?

And no, just signing the player doesn't resolve the issues, but at least it's a sign that the club as some intention to do so. Not signing any of them whilst we go and blow £50m on a superfluous winger would be a sure sign that there is either no intent or no clue within the club.

Lennon????? ........Bit random innit?

Lucas, Son, Chadli..... Dele & Eriksen both didn't productive stints out wide before settling more centrally...... Berg (injury record has been shit tbf)?

The rest is back to that age old argument though innit.....

Eriksen > GLC (42m)
Jan > Sanchez (40m)
Walker > Serge / Emerson (combined approx 50m)

It's not a lack of spending that's the issue there.
I added Lennon because I don't think we've had a top right winger since. Not that other players haven't played there

Do you disagree that we sold too much of our back up goal threats then, and believe that they were adequately replaced? Because if you take a look at our goalscoring stats this season, it kind of suggests that we didn't do a very good job on that front.

Seems like you're just retracting your initial own "correction" now....

We sold Lamela..... Who many would complain didn't score much.

Your overall jab at Parratici was grossly embellished for effect (beyond the semantics of your "goalscorers" comment too).....

His 1st window was described as "mixed".....

Romero: Good (injury hardly FPs fault)
Gil: (Promising, but needs time)
Sarr: (TBC)

vs

Emerson (disappointing)
Gil (dissapointing)
Failed to bag an ST2

"Mixed" seems a reasonable enough to me; but you saw fit to shit all over the guy as a means to disagree (your prerogative, granted)..... All in the spirit of you "keeping things light" though I guess?

The notion of you being a bot is a long running joke on here, thought you had thick enough skin to take it in the jest it was intended.

Not really the point...... I have thick enough skin thanks.... It seems however you were triggered by me saying Eccleshare's tweet (whoever the fuck he is!) was no big deal.

Why that would be; I don't know. ......Not that you're making a "BIG THING" out of anything though.

(I think this is the part where you may as well call me a "cunt" and we move on. 👍 )

Lewis is the kind of already half-embalmed Dracula who lives forever. No immediate hope on that front.

OUmUtjHXcIfVjQ8ojY6URSoeb3YbvN.jpg

I agree.

A lack of spending hasn't always been the issue, although they are instances where it has been (Grealish being a good example)

Money has been spent, but as you mention, the scouting on these players has been the let down. We all wnated Ndombele so I'll take that one out. But others have been our scouting team not being good enough.
agree most of us wanted Ndombele, but the scouting should have shouted that Ndombele will be a problem, so again down to scouting

I didn't say we had to sign all 4 in one window, but if we're only going to sign one player in a window it should address one of the 4 glaring inadequacies don't you think?

And no, just signing the player doesn't resolve the issues, but at least it's a sign that the club as some intention to do so. Not signing any of them whilst we go and blow £50m on a superfluous winger would be a sure sign that there is either no intent or no clue within the club.
100% agree .... the biggest gap for me is creative midfield .... but after Ndombele 54m and LoCelso 30m we know that just signing a "name" to please the masses doesn't really work.

I hope we still have at least one top drawer signing this window - but if we have to wait until the summer or sign Traore, then unless it's <20m let's wait ....

Even if, and I'm sure we won't, but if we sign Diaz, any excitement will be tempered by the array of glaring holes in the squad, the lack of quality depth across the board, and the fact that his signing doesn't really address any of the key problem areas within the squad:

Back up for Kane - Nope
Creativity in midfield - Nope
LCB - Nope
RWB - Nope

He is just an extra bod in the area of the pitch that we are arguably strongest in.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself, as we won't sign him.
We should be really getting a striker who doesnt just deputise for kane but actually gives him competition. Instead we loan in donkeys like Vinicius who then leave and then we dont replace even the donkeys.

Back
Top Bottom