January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think it was easier for him to stick to his principles in his first season when the players were new to him and most predated him, once they were his signings and had been part of his revolution, he was too attached to them to cull the one's who stepped out of line.

Much easier to ostracise Kaboul/Benny who you've known for a couple of months and were brought in by your predecessors than to do the same to Toby/Rose who had joined/flourished under your watch and played a part in your success.

He did kind of punish Toby and dropped him for a while in favour of Sanchez, but the following season (Poch's last I think?) Toby was back in.

Indeed.... The one that always stood out for me though was the way he handled Andros. Yet Rose's 'sin' was far more of a breach of Poch's philosophy.

(My criticism re: Toby is that Dav was playing ok at the time and we should have committed to him.... Esp. as we'd just blown 40m on the bloke - and Foyth too - in the name of starting a smooth transition away from the Belgians.... Ditto Davies should have retained his place when Rose finally returned from injury; whilst we searched for a new #1LB).

Someone before used the "comfort blanket" analogy and I think that's true. Much like the way he 'clung' to Eriksen despite it becoming clear he wasn't going to re-sign back in 2018..... Such phenomena (as well as struggling to drop under-performing faves) reinforces the idea of a 'shelf-life manager' that struggles with overhauls (also see Klopp @ BVB.... You can't just wholesale dump a dozen players when they've expired and wait a season or two for the next wave to be indoctrinated).

I'll be geuinely stunned if Luis Diaz happens. I fell that Kaveh and most other journalists will run this shit until deadline day so they can get views/clicks on their station/website.
But we've landed big fish before! Ali Gold says there is genuine effort here... this could make everybody pretty happy... is it naive to hope for that this time?

I did some lovely huevos rancheros for lunch with eggs laid this morning from where we go horse riding.

Added some crispy-fried diced panceta (thick cut bacon would work too) to the spicy tomato sauce, get involved, it takes it up a notch.

Top tip (this is a game changer for poached eggs too): sieve the eggs for a minute or so in a tea strainer first, then transfer to an espresso coffee cup or a ramekin before slipping into the sauce (lightly boiling water in the case of poached eggs). The sieving gets rid of the most liquid bit of the egg white which tends to splay out all over the shop and you get a far neater, more satisfying finish.

I knew you wouldn't let us down....

Bonus points: I just learned what a "ramekin" is. :freundgoal:

I'm always wondering whether a footballer also has like a job interview:
- Can you give me an example of a time where you showed perseverance?
- How do you mentally handle a drop in form?

I understand that it sounds a bit off, but on the other hand, if you are doing a million pound deal, it would baffle me if giving the green light would only be based on "he can play" & "we can afford him"

I would hope that there would also be some kind of personality test where these results could pull the plug on a deal.

Of course the manager/coach would have a chat with the player beforehand, but if it wouldn't go beyond the informal chat, that would be a huge gap in the scouting analysis for me.

Does anyone know to what extend this exists in football?
Cut to Ndombele sat in Levy's office, Daniel is finishing up a story about how he once passed through Lyon on a School trip to the Ardeche:

DL: So Tongee, Can you give me an example of a time where you showed perseverance?

TN: Well this one time I was ordering some fried food but the area I was in wasn't served by UberEats, unperturbed, I went on JustEat, alas, they too did not cater for the locality that I found myself in, I considered raising my hefty carcass from where it sat and heading out to the local eateries, but then I recalled that the elevator was undergoing maintenance, and let me tell you Monsiour Daniel, these feet, they were not made for walking. I scoured the internet but to no avail, nobody would bring me the feast I craved! But I did not give up, no no no, I venmoed one of the posse that hangs round with me2k euros and he hot footed it to get me a cheeky Nandos!

DL: Nice, you know Tongee, I ate a Nando's once too, aren't I just like a real person?

Daniel licks his lips with his lizard tongue, whilst his eyelids rapidly flick shut and then open again, horizontally.

DL: And finally, can you tell me How do you mentally handle a drop in form?

TN: Ha, an easy one at last! I comfort eat of course!

DL: Ha, brilliant, I eat food through my person mouth too, please like me?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom