January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

...........So long as you're not making a "big thing" out of this though. :contethumb:

(Like I said before.... Check our respective word-counts on these two Eccleshare tweets...)
Honestly, I've followed the quote trail back to where this conversation started and I feel like you just skim read some of the posts and then dived in, I posted a joke summary of the Leicester game as it would have been if it were actually analgous to this TW, someone thought I was being serious and said the game was nothing like that (I knew that!) so I pointed out they had missed the point, I think that's where you jumped in and suggested I was making a big deal out of nothing...

Lots of posts later, somehow here we are still going over it.

I wasn't making a big deal out of the Eccleshare tweet in the first place, I posted once to say that his point was dumb, and then another post in response to someone summarising the Leicester game as though the players had been as useless in that as our transfer committee have been this month. It was just two throwaway posts.

Anyone else think the most likely scenario is that we actually have a weakened squad after the end of all this?

Not that Dele, Lo Celso, or Tanguy are adding any real value now but at least they could be called upon if needed. I could potentially see no incomings but a loan or sale of some combination of those, and we actually lose depth.

I'm always wondering whether a footballer also has like a job interview:
- Can you give me an example of a time where you showed perseverance?
- How do you mentally handle a drop in form?

I understand that it sounds a bit off, but on the other hand, if you are doing a million pound deal, it would baffle me if giving the green light would only be based on "he can play" & "we can afford him"

I would hope that there would also be some kind of personality test where these results could pull the plug on a deal.

Of course the manager/coach would have a chat with the player beforehand, but if it wouldn't go beyond the informal chat, that would be a huge gap in the scouting analysis for me.

Does anyone know to what extend this exists in football?

I agree it would be prudent to be a lot more probing in this manner, but generally I'd expect it to - like you said - be little more than "he can play" & "we can afford him".......

PLUS: "And he hasn't headbutted any team-mates".

Then.... Cue medicals.

3 short years ago we were in the CL final. Get a grip man. Yes the squad needs work, but that’s what is happening. Anyone familiar with business knows things take time, and deals we see today maybe started life 6 months ago. Things are a lot more complex than we realise, with strategy and games being played on many levels.

Give Conte and Paratici until the end of NEXT season and then see how we’re doing. As the Italians know, Rome wasn’t built in a day.
True, but it was built quicker than our stadium and much closer to budget

3 short years ago we were in the CL final. Get a grip man. Yes the squad needs work, but that’s what is happening. Anyone familiar with business knows things take time, and deals we see today maybe started life 6 months ago. Things are a lot more complex than we realise, with strategy and games being played on many levels.

Give Conte and Paratici until the end of NEXT season and then see how we’re doing. As the Italians know, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Providing context as to why players aren't chomping at the bit to join spurs.

I know I don't only speak for myself when I say some judgement is passed on Feb 1st but ultimately we'll know the direction that the club is going by end of this next summer window.

Anyone else think the most likely scenario is that we actually have a weakened squad after the end of all this?

Not that Dele, Lo Celso, or Tanguy are adding any real value now but at least they could be called upon if needed. I could potentially see no incomings but a loan or sale of some combination of those, and we actually lose depth.
I'm borderline okay with that.

l35hPwL.gif

Honestly, I've followed the quote trail back to where this conversation started and I feel like you just skim read some of the posts and then dived in, I posted a joke summary of the Leicester game as it would have been if it were actually analgous to this TW, someone thought I was being serious and said the game was nothing like that (I knew that!) so I pointed out they had missed the point, I think that's where you jumped in and suggested I was making a big deal out of nothing...

Lots of posts later, somehow here we are still going over it.

I wasn't making a big deal out of the Eccleshare tweet in the first place, I posted once to say that his point was dumb, and then another post in response to someone summarising the Leicester game as though the players had been as useless in that as our transfer committee have been this month. It was just two throwaway posts.

None of it was a big deal..... Much like my response re: the Eccleshare tweet needn't have been.

...But still the word-count spirals on your part (3rd or 4th minimal post from me in a row).

Providing context as to why players aren't chomping at the bit to join spurs.

I know I don't only speak for myself when I say some judgement is passed on Feb 1st but ultimately we'll know the direction that the club is going by end of this next summer window.
I already know it's going to be underwhelming or a lot worse if Conte walks out.

Back
Top Bottom