Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's a bit weird that he's emphasising Tanganga's status as a fullback, when his recognised position was CB (played makeshift RB due to injuries), and we have a CB problem in the next few weeks with Toby injured, Sanchez out of form, and Rodon ineligible in EL.
Also, we're very well stocked with 4 senior full backs.

It's a bit weird that he's emphasising Tanganga's status as a fullback, when his recognised position was CB (played makeshift RB due to injuries), and we have a CB problem in the next few weeks with Toby injured, Sanchez out of form, and Rodon ineligible in EL.
Also, we're very well stocked with 4 senior full backs.
Yeah odd. The thing is he is right footed though he can play on the left. He could indeed become a prototype Jose fullback though because height recovery speed and can cross and push on. From what I have honestly seen from Docherty and his age Japhet could well be the player to take on howling mad Murdoch long term for the 2 shirt.

Yeah I was thinking this too, but does that mean we play Tanganga LB?
Surely it would make more sense to have Davies LB, with Tanganga CB?

Or are we going to play Reguilon 3 times this week, which is a bit annoying with Chelsea game coming up and his heavy involvement for Spain.
Dennis Cirkin LB Tanganga RB?

Aurier — Tanganga—-Dier—Davies—Reggie

would give us a pretty fluid back 5 , Reggie and Aurier could easily take turns pushing up and and still leaves us with a solid back 4, didn’t Jose play with a back 5 last time we played Chelsea?

Interesting comments from Jose about him. Not sure I agree but that doesn't mean I'm right over one of the best managers in history at organizing a defense.

From a squad building perspective, it makes me wonder if we are going to try and shift Aurier on sooner than later. Otherwise that would mean Tanganga is 3rd choice on both sides.

Certainly I'd be surprised to see Tanganga get any sort of run as our primary left back.

I'm not that surprised that in this moment, Japh is not seen as a CB by Mourinho. His best games for us all came at either RB or LB and he showed in his big start at CB against Wolves last season (where he messed up on all 3 goals) that he is not ready to play that position regularly at this level.

No reason he can't go on to play there in the future of course and we already saw him play in a 3 man defence against Chelsea in the cup, but as one CB in a pair he is not ready.

If Jose sees him as a full back then surely we need to be signing another CB? With Sanchez out the picture it just leaves us with Toby, Dier and Rodon then

I think moving Tanganga to full back is just smart.

I was never truly impressed with him as a centre back (in a back two anyway) that some were. He would regularly stand off his man or get beat too easily. I'm pretty sure almost every game he played at centre back last season, any goal we conceded could in some way be attributed to him

Whereas at full back, I think he has great attributes. He's strong, he's relatively quick. I think he's actually better on the ball than some give him credit for. I think he could quite easily be a sort of full back in the Ivanovic mould for a Mourinho team.

Plus, it's good for depth if we have him and Davies who CAN be back up full backs as well as capable of playing centre back if truly needed.

I think moving Tanganga to full back is just smart.

I was never truly impressed with him as a centre back (in a back two anyway) that some were. He would regularly stand off his man or get beat too easily. I'm pretty sure almost every game he played at centre back last season, any goal we conceded could in some way be attributed to him

Whereas at full back, I think he has great attributes. He's strong, he's relatively quick. I think he's actually better on the ball than some give him credit for. I think he could quite easily be a sort of full back in the Ivanovic mould for a Mourinho team.

Plus, it's good for depth if we have him and Davies who CAN be back up full backs as well as capable of playing centre back if truly needed.

I think we saw him play less than half a dozen times as a full back in Spurs youth, rest of time as a CB (usually LCB allowing right sided Eyoma play RCB, but can play either LCB or RCB).

I think its just easier to bring players in as FB's before they go onto become CB's as they get more experienced (Ledley KIng played as LB a few times, especially in E u21's for a similar reason, whilst its quite common for strikers and AM's to start as wingers when inexperienced). Certainly does them no harm to see the game from FB position before becoming CB's, and equally if they make a career as FB, that's good too. Also makes them versatile defenders - like Alderweireld and Vertonghen who played as RB and LB for years for Belgium national team.

Interesting comments from Jose about him. Not sure I agree but that doesn't mean I'm right over one of the best managers in history at organizing a defense.

From a squad building perspective, it makes me wonder if we are going to try and shift Aurier on sooner than later. Otherwise that would mean Tanganga is 3rd choice on both sides.

Certainly I'd be surprised to see Tanganga get any sort of run as our primary left back.

Aurier now has less than 2 years left on his contract. So he will either sign another contract before summer or be sold.

Tanganga is a versatile defender who will be played in a variety of positions until more experienced, when he'll find his 'usual' position whether as a FB or CB.

Back
Top Bottom