Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No such thing as too early or too late.

I think we were wrong to sack Poch, but right to then go for Mourinho.

Unfortunately, if we don't back him we won't solve the squad problem, and then the manager doesn't really matter.

You're right about the squad problem. This should be our main worry at the moment. Hopefully Levy realized this - this window and the next should be an indicator.

We need a new striker asap though. If we don't get one this window, it's on Levy.

He also won the PL with Jones at CB the season prior so it goes to shows it’s not always about the players your have

maybe but the league was weak that year, never known the Prem as tough as it is now, we have a top 8 even top 10, driven by the insane financial changes.

Wonder what will happen when we dont replace kane.

I cant see it and he clearly wants a target man. Wonder if he will keep being mr nice guy if he doesnt get one and the form continues to be so irratic.

maybe but the league was weak that year, never known the Prem as tough as it is now, we have a top 8 even top 10, driven by the insane financial changes.

The league is a joke this year - everyone is losing to each other bar Liverpool ( who should be 19 points clear by tomorrow).

Us, Woolwich, United and Chelsea are piss poor sides, even City look a shadow of the side they were last year.

For those of you that go to the games, do the fans sing for Jose?

I think he needs to be given time , but don’t know how patient he will be. He already appears to have lost some of the enthusiasm he had when he joined.

So basically when people want to pretend Poch hasn’t had any players, we can compare all clubs, but when it’s shown he had 27, we can’t compare anymore

I just thought you were making the case that 27 was a lot of players. I was just trying to say that it wasn't a lot compared to the time frame.

If you're just saying Poch was truly backed, I don't think you can just say 27 like that. Without knowing it, I wouldn't think N'Koudou and Clinton N'jie was particularly high on Poch list, but given the amount he was allowed to spend he couldn't buy the finished article. This summer was the first time I really felt Poch got his top targets, so it was unfortunate that he didn't get to use them fully fit.

PL tough now!!???
It has ONE good team in it, worthy of mixing it with the European elite.
The PL top 4 is being threatened by newly promoted teams, and even FC moneybags have come to the end of their era.

Trophies have been there for the taking the last few seasons, that’s why Leicester have a PL title, and Chelsea could go from 6th to champions in 12 months.

The PL is not tough at all, that’s the problem. That’s why people think the likes of Dele and Eriksen have been two of the best players in the world recently.

And 19 other teams didn't. Your point?
My point was that if Poch was so brilliant at performing miracles, what happened the year we finished above all of City, Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool.
Money wasn’t an issue that year, nor signings.
We finished above those teams.

We had 13 pts on Woolwich at Christmas.

So it was between us and Leicester, not the the rest of the top 6.
What stopped us beating Leicester, West Ham and throwing a 2-0 lead at Chelsea?

Was it the window that was to take place two years into the future?

What was the excuse in 2016 when we were peak?

I just thought you were making the case that 27 was a lot of players. I was just trying to say that it wasn't a lot compared to the time frame.

If you're just saying Poch was truly backed, I don't think you can just say 27 like that. Without knowing it, I wouldn't think N'Koudou and Clinton N'jie was particularly high on Poch list, but given the amount he was allowed to spend he couldn't buy the finished article. This summer was the first time I really felt Poch got his top targets, so it was unfortunate that he didn't get to use them fully fit.
But I told you 11 became regular first team quality and if you compare Klopps 23 in just one less season, only 7 became regular first team quality.

So was Klopp not backed either?
Or is he just better perhaps

Why couldn’t he survive two windows without signings but Jurgen Klopp could win a title?
Klopp won the Champions League and went to within a whisker of beating a brilliant City team to the title on the back of a shit load of expensive signings, mate.

We chose to go 2 windows without a single signing before we'd reached those heights.

In other words, like so many times in the past, our owners decided that investing in the squad to push on that extra yard wasn't worth the risk.
Unlike Liverpool, they backed the balance sheet over the manager

Klopp won the Champions League and went to within a whisker of beating a brilliant City team to the title on the back of a shit load of expensive signings, mate.

We chose to go 2 windows without a single signing before we'd reached those heights.

In other words, like so many times in the past, our owners decided that investing in the squad to push on that extra yard wasn't worth the risk.
What was the excuse in 2016 or are you going to keep running

They have a lower net spend than Everton and their big money signings were funded in a large part by the sale of Countinho.

Only Alisson and Van Dyke cost big money.

All of their famed forwards cost under £35 million.

Their world class full backs cost a combined £8 million.

Their most expensive starting midfielder is Fabinho and at £40 million that isnt a huge fee in todays market.
They re in the position now that we were in 2016 - the difference is that they have a manager who is light years ahead of Pochettino.

We invested massively last summer £63 million on Ndombele, £50+ Lo Celso ) £25 million on Seggession.

And yet despite this massive investment and despite Liverpool signing just a youngster have fallen even further behind resulting in Poch being sacked.

Back
Top Bottom