Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sure Ruben Dias is in our summer planning
Barca are trying to get shot of Dembele even had a deal with PSG to take him multiple reports of bad attitude, not returning after international duty, doing the nightclub round instead of preparing for matches
Nice refused all offers so far on Atal I’m sure we’ll be back in again as he’s been on our radar

How much have we forked out for Ndombele, Sess, GLC and potentially Gedson? Don’t think spending on the right player is a problem. Yes Bruno Fernandes but £79m really

How much do you think we'd have to stump up for Dias?

Just checked, he has a contract through to 2024. £50?

See the last line of my post.

Atm, and using last nights game as a good illustration the lack of a striker meant we could not score enough goals.

Poch had both strikers but for whatever reason wasn't scoring goals. We could debate whether Poch should have been rotating Kane and Son a little so that they weren't so knackered. Or whether Poch having personally scouted and had Janssen bought whether he should have made more of the raw, but at the time seemed a decent forward, that he had asked for. Etc

Poch was successful for 5 or 6 years but at the cost of running the squad into the ground and for 4 years the major footballing voice in Spurs transfers (having stopped the recruitment of DoF) and in that period some 20+ players arrived but far too few (Alderweireld, Sanchez, Moura, Trippier....and after that I'm struggling) made an impression on the first team. That is why our squad is so weak now - and that is the problem we face now.
This isn't about Poch mate. This is the Jose thread.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that there aren't any circumstances that carry over from the previous regime, of course, there are, but that's the job! He was employed to "sort out" the problems if there were no problems Poch would still be the manager. Every new manager at their new club has to deal with those issues, just as Ole is, Ancelotti is, Nigel Pearce is, Ralph H is, Arteta is, Conte is etc. etc. etc.......

The questions that need to be asked are 100% legitimate. How has he done dealing with the problems? How has he done finding solutions?

His appointment is dividing a fanbase, not uniting it. Why is that?

To be fair only Ndombele is the only real flop. I would happily trade him plus £10m for Bruno. We spent the Bale money badly and have never recovered. Sees and Gedson are young. We miss out because we don't spot Wilson, Maddison etc who need a bit of coaching. If you look at Maurinho's past dealings, he only buys proven players, and that may be why he has won things. We are not Chelski or USAUTD so I don't see us spending another £200m to help him. Conclusion is he is the wrong man for the job!
But the whole point of the stadium move was the move to the other level, in the first two transfer windows we’ve spent when most said we won’t.
You obviously have your mind made up, did you see us spending £200m in the first case?

But the whole point of the stadium move was the move to the other level, in the first two transfer windows we’ve spent when most said we won’t.
You obviously have your mind made up, did you see us spending £200m in the first case?
I think you have missed my point. We won't spend and we don't spot bargains but mainly that JM only buys proven players. So he gets Smalling for £20m, that leaves 30m and if we keep Fernandez, there's not much left for anybody else. Who are we going to sell to get funds? KWP, Rose ? Both of these will need replacing with 1st choice players. We have spent but only GLC looks a good addition, unless you can tell me why Ndombele and Sees have played so few games?

We became a bottom team because we didn't back Poch. We let our best players go and didn't strengthen.
Poch's last 12 months included a CL final and top 4 with fuck all money.
Any patience he had (tbh that's some cheek implying we gave Poch time after we gave him shite backing and put him in that shit situation) he more than earned with his consistent miracles the previous half decade.

Poch said it would be a painful rebuild.
Jose loves this squad and doesn't think we need a rebuild. Levy thinks spending is overrater. I'm not sure what else can be done in 12 months at the moment. Hoof ball plus Kane is better I suppose but not exciting.
We obviously bought Ndombele to replace Eriksen, that worked well!
This window will determine the next phase. We cannot fail again.

According to Levi, that's the whole budget !
jd_200497_d

Stop looking at the end of our league campaign in isolation from the first half. We pushed City and Pool until around xmas. The good work there allowed us to finish top 4 despite the shit ending. But even then it's normal for a depleted squad to focus on the CL.

They were miracles. Out performing resources is not easy or common. You're sounding very unrealistic and ungrateful.
Its not unrealistic to expect something better than how we played in the last 12 months of Poch. Im grateful for the good things he did, but for 12 months he wrecked the team he built.

I think you have missed my point. We won't spend and we don't spot bargains but mainly that JM only buys proven players. So he gets Smalling for £20m, that leaves 30m and if we keep Fernandez, there's not much left for anybody else. Who are we going to sell to get funds? KWP, Rose ? Both of these will need replacing with 1st choice players. We have spent but only GLC looks a good addition, unless you can tell me why Ndombele and Sees have played so few games?
I’m sure someone else who can be bothered will supply a list of where we benefited from ‘a bargain’
Both Sess and Ndombele were highly coveted by our fan base and applauded when signed. I know it’s frustrating but things can turn around quite quickly.

I’m not trying to change your mind

He had to go. Can’t see any way forward under his outdated methods and what ENIC require from our coaching team to be successful.

Levy made a error, the worst thing he can do is double down on it out of sheer false pride. Pay him up and let’s start afresh.

This isn't about Poch mate. This is the Jose thread.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that there aren't any circumstances that carry over from the previous regime, of course, there are, but that's the job! He was employed to "sort out" the problems if there were no problems Poch would still be the manager. Every new manager at their new club has to deal with those issues, just as Ole is, Ancelotti is, Nigel Pearce is, Ralph H is, Arteta is, Conte is etc. etc. etc.......

The questions that need to be asked are 100% legitimate. How has he done dealing with the problems? How has he done finding solutions?

His appointment is dividing a fanbase, not uniting it. Why is that?

He has sorted some problems though. Rose and Eriksen have left the club, those two were a huge issue. Toby‘s contract was an issue that has been sorted. Wanyama has been released. Tanganga got the opportunity he deserved after a strong preseason.

On the pitch we are struggling but what can any manager do in these circumstances? He has tried everything. We have tried playing attacking football, we lost to Wolves because our defence cannot manage transitions properly. Yesterday we tried to play defence first and hit on the break, our defenders did well but the keeper chucked the ball in the net and our tired, unreliable front players couldn’t score a goal.

Its not like we are getting battered every week, we are losing games by one goal playing football that looks more or less the same as what we saw last season when Kane was injured, only worse because Son and Sissoko are also missing. We only added 3 new players and 2 of them have been injured for most of the season. I think some people are not really appreciating how stretched our squad is right now. Based on last night it’s possible that Bergwijn, Lucas, Lamela, Dele, Son, Sissoko and Kane could all be unavailable for the game on Saturday? Poch warned a long time ago that this would be a painful and difficult season. Mourinho has said the same thing. Why are people surprised that it’s happening? This is a squad that went almost a year without winning a game away from home. People need to adjust expectations and stop expecting this team to do anything other than work hard. At the moment that’s all we have any right to expect, because our two remaining match-winners are injured.

He has sorted some problems though. Rose and Eriksen have left the club, those two were a huge issue. Toby‘s contract was an issue that has been sorted. Wanyama has been released. Tanganga got the opportunity he deserved after a strong preseason.

On the pitch we are struggling but what can any manager do in these circumstances? He has tried everything. We have tried playing attacking football, we lost to Wolves because our defence cannot manage transitions properly. Yesterday we tried to play defence first and hit on the break, our defenders did well but the keeper chucked the ball in the net and our tired, unreliable front players couldn’t score a goal.

Its not like we are getting battered every week, we are losing games by one goal playing football that looks more or less the same as what we saw last season when Kane was injured, only worse because Son and Sissoko are also missing. We only added 3 new players and 2 of them have been injured for most of the season. I think some people are not really appreciating how stretched our squad is right now. Based on last night it’s possible that Bergwijn, Lucas, Lamela, Dele, Son, Sissoko and Kane could all be unavailable for the game on Saturday? Poch warned a long time ago that this would be a painful and difficult season. Mourinho has said the same thing. Why are people surprised that it’s happening? This is a squad that went almost a year without winning a game away from home. People need to adjust expectations and stop expecting this team to do anything other than work hard. At the moment that’s all we have any right to expect, because our two remaining match-winners are injured.
Without knowing the full mechanics behind our transfer dealings it is absolutely fair to say that Rose, Wanyama leaving were absolutely nothing to do with Jose. Poch wanted them both gone and the club failed in selling them.

He wanted Eriksen, he absolutely didn't want him sold and tried to convince him to stay (as did Poch).

Personally, the decision to reward Toby with a new contract hasn't exactly been rewarded with great performances from him, I think he's been crap and watching GIROUD run past him like he wasn't there you have to seriously question the judgement on this one as poor. I'd rather he put faith in Tanganga, Foyth, Dier and Sanchez than with Jan and Toby.

"He's tried everything" What?! If that is the case just how fucked are we?

We ARE getting played off the park most weeks mate.

Without knowing the full mechanics behind our transfer dealings it is absolutely fair to say that Rose, Wanyama leaving were absolutely nothing to do with Jose. Poch wanted them both gone and the club failed in selling them.

He wanted Eriksen, he absolutely didn't want him sold and tried to convince him to stay (as did Poch).

Personally, the decision to reward Toby with a new contract hasn't exactly been rewarded with great performances from him, I think he's been crap and watching GIROUD run past him like he wasn't there you have to seriously question the judgement on this one as poor. I'd rather he put faith in Tanganga, Foyth, Dier and Sanchez than with Jan and Toby.

"He's tried everything" What?! If that is the case just how fucked are we?

We ARE getting played off the park most weeks mate.
Great post except Foyth has to go. Too many lapses, surely we can do better.

He has a three year contract not a three month one.
If he gets his three years we will win something.

I swear some of you are a little bit glad about last night.
Yesterday, someone I haven't seen for a while said he wouldn't mind if we lost every game, if it meant Jose was shown the door. I really don't get that attitude. I want to win every game, no matter who is playing or who is in charge. Club First every time, not personal agendas.

Back
Top Bottom