Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Suddenly JM looks like the wrong guy for the job.
We cannot spot a good player for the want of trying.
We never look at anyone under £20m and we still buy a lot of shit.
Biggest investment should be decent scouting system plus a younger manager who, like Pochettino, would develop us back to CL status.
Suddenly it looks like we won't even make the Europa cup.

Q for Jose fans who say you can't expect good football, or anything at all really this season due to him coming in midway/injuries.

What the fuck are we paying him £15m (or whatever it is) for?
It's universally accepted he can't last more than 2-3 yrs.
Surely part of paying him so much includes salvaging this season?

Or do we write the half a season fully off because poor Jose was coerced?

Ok fine. I'm ready to be really wowed next season
The more I read your posts, the more I haven't got a clue what you are trying to say.

People want instant results. 3 and a half months Mourinho has been "head coach" and his tenure so far has been average but neither terrible nor mindblowingly great either. Yet some on here want him gone already? When was the last time spurs won a trophy? When did we become this amazing club where we can decide Mourinho is a failure that needs to go after 3 months? I never wanted Poch to get the sack and I have always questioned why Mourinho was brought in considering we're not a club that is going to give him the funds he needs to do his thing, however he's here now.

The same people that demanded Poch to be sacked are now demanding the same for Mourinho. Will we have to go through the entire footballing world of managers until you realise that we are in dying need of investment. This club needs atleast 150m+ spent in the summer to get it where it needs to be, and then those players need a season or two to assimilate and bed in. They also need to be players that suit mourinhos ethos. This is fair for any manager joining midway through a season with players that aren't his.

For the past 6 years Kane has single handedly dragged us. Atleast 20+ goals a season in the PL alone. The guy is a machine. Think about the amount of playing time he has had since he broke onto the scene. He hasn't stopped. Now his body is breaking down. The fact we do not have another top striker to complement Kane is a joke. The squad right now is just shocking. We're tired. The players are disillusioned with the direction of the club and the lack of real investment. There's no real philosophy. Only making money. We've beat this drum for years now. We all know what's going on. Just frustrating to see other fans peddle the same old rubbish about managers not getting enough out of the squad or the wrong tactics. Truth is this club hasn't been properly invested in for years. The squad couldn't be any more stretched. Sad state of affairs really.

Had we sold Eriksen 2 years ago certain natives would have screamed blue murder, mutterings would arise about the club lacking ambition selling our best players, small club mentality etc etc

Ok, sure, fair enough. I see your point.

And agree, it's unfair of me to suggest that Levy would sell our best players. We've done our best to move away from the Modric/Berbatov days, when other teams raided us. Hence us losing Eriksen for nothing. Can't have it both ways.

My point was that ENIC appear to follow some clear principles:

a) Don't buy English players (too expensive)
b) Ideally, pick up a player that has had a number of good seasons, slightly fallen off the radar, and can be snapped up for around the £30 million mark. Hopefully they become really good. Principle risk with that approach is that we're basically West Ham,

Appreciate that Ndombele is an outlier to this, so it will be instructive to see if ENIC revert to type and try and nickle and dime it with cheaper deals. Or, alternatively, Jose has told them, contrary to what he is saying in public, I want Ruben Dias, Barca's Dembele, Thomas Partey, and Atal. You're not getting any change from 200 million.

Jol and Redknapp both took over around a similar time to Mourinho. Both were in a worse position with weaker squads and although we were inconsistant for the first few months there were some great performances and you could see what we were trying to do. They improved the teams they had which set us up for decent first full seasons under them. What are we seeing now? No organisation, gameplan, entertainment, defensive solidaty or creativity. The whole ethos seems to be make excuses. Nigel Pearson is showing more.

How did it go when BOTH of these players were available and were selected in his sides?

See the last line of my post.

Atm, and using last nights game as a good illustration the lack of a striker meant we could not score enough goals.

Poch had both strikers but for whatever reason wasn't scoring goals. We could debate whether Poch should have been rotating Kane and Son a little so that they weren't so knackered. Or whether Poch having personally scouted and had Janssen bought whether he should have made more of the raw, but at the time seemed a decent forward, that he had asked for. Etc

Poch was successful for 5 or 6 years but at the cost of running the squad into the ground and for 4 years the major footballing voice in Spurs transfers (having stopped the recruitment of DoF) and in that period some 20+ players arrived but far too few (Alderweireld, Sanchez, Moura, Trippier....and after that I'm struggling) made an impression on the first team. That is why our squad is so weak now - and that is the problem we face now.

Jol and Redknapp both took over around a similar time to Mourinho. Both were in a worse position with weaker squads and although we were inconsistant for the first few months there were some great performances and you could see what we were trying to do. They improved the teams they had which set us up for decent first full seasons under them. What are we seeing now? No organisation, gameplan, entertainment, defensive solidaty or creativity. The whole ethos seems to be make excuses. Nigel Pearson is showing more.

Neither Jol and Redknapp inherited a squad run into the ground though.

That seems to be a major factor

Q for Jose fans who say you can't expect good football, or anything at all really this season due to him coming in midway/injuries.

What the fuck are we paying him £15m (or whatever it is) for?
It's universally accepted he can't last more than 2-3 yrs.
Surely part of paying him so much includes salvaging this season?

Or do we write the half a season fully off because poor Jose was coerced?

Ok fine. I'm ready to be really wowed next season
Under poch we looked like genuine relegation candidates near the end of his term. He had taken us to depths that we hadn seen in a while. 14th after 12 games. Yikes. Considering our main 2 goalscorers arent around...Id say we are doing okay.

Cant be too upset about the fa cup loss. Not like we ever won anything with Poch in 5 years, I think we should give the new guy more time than just 3-4 months where he has no goalscorer.

Yes at a time prior to the big club mentality. This is his first job since Porto where money is an object and where he might not be blessed with the players he wants.

I've said it many times, Real broke him, he wasn't the same person leaving Madrid as arriving at Madrid.

He had a fantastic side at Chavski in 2014/15 and spent huge money at Man Ure for little in return.
We know all this, Levy employed him, what can we do now? Most Spurs fans including me didn't expect his appointment. No option but to get behind him and give him time.

Last edited:
The more I read your posts, the more I haven't got a clue what you are trying to say.
I just meant to ask how it's logical to give Jose a free ride for this season. He's allowed by some to get away with shite footy and no results too.
It's accepted that he won't be here long so that must be mean next season he's going to do sensationally.

I just meant to ask how it's logical to give Jose a free ride for this season. He's allowed by some to get away with shite footy and no results too.
It's accepted that he won't be here long so that must be mean next season he's going to do sensationally.
We had become a bottom half team with Poch for his almost last 12 months. That is a lot of time that he got away with. So lets give the new guy at least that much time to fix the problems.

Ok, sure, fair enough. I see your point.

And agree, it's unfair of me to suggest that Levy would sell our best players. We've done our best to move away from the Modric/Berbatov days, when other teams raided us. Hence us losing Eriksen for nothing. Can't have it both ways.

My point was that ENIC appear to follow some clear principles:

a) Don't buy English players (too expensive)
b) Ideally, pick up a player that has had a number of good seasons, slightly fallen off the radar, and can be snapped up for around the £30 million mark. Hopefully they become really good. Principle risk with that approach is that we're basically West Ham,

Appreciate that Ndombele is an outlier to this, so it will be instructive to see if ENIC revert to type and try and nickle and dime it with cheaper deals. Or, alternatively, Jose has told them, contrary to what he is saying in public, I want Ruben Dias, Barca's Dembele, Thomas Partey, and Atal. You're not getting any change from 200 million.
Sure Ruben Dias is in our summer planning
Barca are trying to get shot of Dembele even had a deal with PSG to take him multiple reports of bad attitude, not returning after international duty, doing the nightclub round instead of preparing for matches
Nice refused all offers so far on Atal I’m sure we’ll be back in again as he’s been on our radar

How much have we forked out for Ndombele, Sess, GLC and potentially Gedson? Don’t think spending on the right player is a problem. Yes Bruno Fernandes but £79m really

He'll fail sensationally unless he knows loads of players on frees or sells Kane and buys a team. Neither of these are likely, so we will be looking for a new manager by November.

Last edited:
We had become a bottom half team with Poch for his almost last 12 months. That is a lot of time that he got away with. So lets give the new guy at least that much time to fix the problems.
We became a bottom team because we didn't back Poch. We let our best players go and didn't strengthen.
Poch's last 12 months included a CL final and top 4 with fuck all money.
Any patience he had (tbh that's some cheek implying we gave Poch time after we gave him shite backing and put him in that shit situation) he more than earned with his consistent miracles the previous half decade.

Poch said it would be a painful rebuild.
Jose loves this squad and doesn't think we need a rebuild. Levy thinks spending is overrater. I'm not sure what else can be done in 12 months at the moment. Hoof ball plus Kane is better I suppose but not exciting.

And whatever our thoughts are on Mourinho and clearly they vary, he needs his players.

Then it will be his message, his pitch and completely down to him. I rather he fails without the excuse of a lack of backing.

People want instant results. 3 and a half months Mourinho has been "head coach" and his tenure so far has been average but neither terrible nor mindblowingly great either. Yet some on here want him gone already? When was the last time spurs won a trophy? When did we become this amazing club where we can decide Mourinho is a failure that needs to go after 3 months? I never wanted Poch to get the sack and I have always questioned why Mourinho was brought in considering we're not a club that is going to give him the funds he needs to do his thing, however he's here now.

The same people that demanded Poch to be sacked are now demanding the same for Mourinho. Will we have to go through the entire footballing world of managers until you realise that we are in dying need of investment. This club needs atleast 150m+ spent in the summer to get it where it needs to be, and then those players need a season or two to assimilate and bed in. They also need to be players that suit mourinhos ethos. This is fair for any manager joining midway through a season with players that aren't his.

For the past 6 years Kane has single handedly dragged us. Atleast 20+ goals a season in the PL alone. The guy is a machine. Think about the amount of playing time he has had since he broke onto the scene. He hasn't stopped. Now his body is breaking down. The fact we do not have another top striker to complement Kane is a joke. The squad right now is just shocking. We're tired. The players are disillusioned with the direction of the club and the lack of real investment. There's no real philosophy. Only making money. We've beat this drum for years now. We all know what's going on. Just frustrating to see other fans peddle the same old rubbish about managers not getting enough out of the squad or the wrong tactics. Truth is this club hasn't been properly invested in for years. The squad couldn't be any more stretched. Sad state of affairs really.
I think I would retort by saying, if I see no pathway to success with Jose as manager and what we’re seeing on the field doesn’t give me any confidence his methods have modified from 2004, it would be cowardly of me to let this ride out under the excuse of “he needs time” because I don’t want to say “we made a mistake”.

I genuinely do understand the “give him time” crew, honestly I do. It’s probably the sensible and rational approach. But.....

1) You can still criticise him if he gets things wrong
2) If like me, you see no chance this works for us, it’d be silly to let this ride out just because. Don’t spend 100m on players for a manager you don’t expect to be here in 18 months.
3) Let’s hope we don’t miss out on a great manager because we’re giving Jose time. Gooners could have had Klopp if they were more decisive about Wenger.

We became a bottom team because we didn't back Poch. We let our best players go and didn't strengthen.
Poch's last 12 months included a CL final and top 4 with fuck all money.
Any patience he had (tbh that's some cheek implying we gave Poch time after we gave him shite backing and put him in that shit situation) he more than earned with his consistent miracles the previous half decade.

Poch said it would be a painful rebuild.
Jose loves this squad and doesn't think we need a rebuild. Levy thinks spending is overrater. I'm not sure what else can be done in 12 months at the moment. Hoof ball plus Kane is better I suppose but not exciting.
Mate can you stop with the 'miracles'. Ball touching Llorente's arm and going in and the ref not picking it up is not a Poch miracle. Its just lucky decisions. Number of points we won in the last 12 months of Poch was in the 40s. It will take time to improve from that unless theres a miracle.

Sure Ruben Dias is in our summer planning
Barca are trying to get shot of Dembele even had a deal with PSG to take him multiple reports of bad attitude, not returning after international duty, doing the nightclub round instead of preparing for matches
Nice refused all offers so far on Atal I’m sure we’ll be back in again as he’s been on our radar

How much have we forked out for Ndombele, Sess, GLC and potentially Gedson? Don’t think spending on the right player is a problem. Yes Bruno Fernandes but £79m really
To be fair only Ndombele is the only real flop. I would happily trade him plus £10m for Bruno. We spent the Bale money badly and have never recovered. Sees and Gedson are young. We miss out because we don't spot Wilson, Maddison etc who need a bit of coaching. If you look at Maurinho's past dealings, he only buys proven players, and that may be why he has won things. We are not Chelski or USAUTD so I don't see us spending another £200m to help him. Conclusion is he is the wrong man for the job!

Mate can you stop with the 'miracles'. Ball touching Llorente's arm and going in and the ref not picking it up is not a Poch miracle. Its just lucky decisions. Number of points we won in the last 12 months of Poch was in the 40s. It will take time to improve from that unless theres a miracle.
Stop looking at the end of our league campaign in isolation from the first half. We pushed City and Pool until around xmas. The good work there allowed us to finish top 4 despite the shit ending. But even then it's normal for a depleted squad to focus on the CL.

They were miracles. Out performing resources is not easy or common. You're sounding very unrealistic and ungrateful.

Back
Top Bottom