Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Underselling trophies is something I don't get.

Real "winners" want to win every competition they are in. Real doesn't shy out of wanting to win the Copa. and if they somehow ended up in the Europa League they would want to win it.
Guarantee any Real Manager that wins the copy but doesn't qualify for champions league gets his p45 thougj

This remembering thing is weird. I can tell you I have a lot better shot at remembering who lost the 96 CL final than remembering who won the league cup that year. The only league cup winners I remember personally are the leftfield ones like Swansea.

Who are these people you speak of that have encyclopaedic memories of league cup history, but have never watched a CL final?!

I can remember Southampton fighting off relegation most years in the 80s and 90s but I don’t know who won the FA Cup in 1997 off the top of my head.
Doesn’t mean Southampton achieved more.

At the end of the day, teams who won cups have another tick on the honours list and teams who win semis but lose finals don’t.

Guess how many of Spurs trophies are FA and League Cups?
12 of 17.

Would you rather be a 5 trophy club that just won a few big semis 30 years ago?

I'm only speaking for what I have quoted and what you have responded to in our posts.

You do this a lot, take what others have said in some other conversations then circle around another poster and make claims about that poster. Either that or you get all the posters mixed up (I've done that before and it's easily done, but when I've had this pointed out to me or that I have realised it myself I've made my apologies). I won't hold my breath with you though.
No my fault people like to chime into a mass discussion, supporting certain claims and arguing against several others and after five pages then try and claim they thought it was a personal debate

I just posted evidence above that Jose won a double with injuries

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦

Jose won a double that season

:mourthumb:
Ermm.......That news report is following up a usual Jose rant about injuries. But players listed as injured played and weren't injured or weren't regular starters anyway.

The players listed as injured were not his first choice players:
Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah and Shaw were down the pecking order. (Smalling was fit)

His first-team defence was Blind, Balli, Darmian and Valencia/Young they all were selected.

His 1st choice midfield was all available to him (Pogba, Fellaini, Herrara, with Mata & Carrick available on the bench).

He had his first-choice attack available to him of: (Martial (bench), Rashford, Mkhitaryan and Lingard. Only 35yr old Zlatan wasn't available to him in the attack.

I guess this is what happens when you complain about injuries every week, people buy into the myth that players really aren't available when they are and those that are out injured never play anyway, like: James Wilson, Joe Riley, Devonte Redmond, Matty Willock, RoShaun Williams, Ilias Moutha-Sebtaoui, Tahith Chong, Lee O'Connor, DJ Buffonge!! I mean who the fuck are these players?

Smoke an mirrors.

Fact is Mourinho has never managed a club as small as us (within its respective league) with the history of 0 trophies in 10 years and impeding pressure.

Porto were one of the biggest clubs in Portugal and one of the richest who had won 10 trophies in the 10 years prior to Jose.

Chelsea were one of, if not the richest club in the country, unlimited resources who had won 5 trophies in the 10 years before Jose took over.

Inter Milan have always been one of the powerhouses in Italian football and had won 7 trophies prior to Jose taking over.

Madrid. Enough said.

Man Utd. Enough said.

Point being, we cant compare Joses trophy record and using that as a reason for potential success when the playing field is different. We aren't in the top 2 for richest clubs in the league. We aren't a club filled with recent successes.

We would all love Jose to be a success but using that past success, most of which were when Harry Kane was a teenager, as a way to prove he will be is stupid.

Next season, we judge him. Because then there are no excuses. None of the "these players aren't his" bullshit, none of the "no pre season or transfer window" bollocks.

Good luck Jose.

Fact is Mourinho has never managed a club as small as us (within its respective league) with the history of 0 trophies in 10 years and impeding pressure.

Porto were one of the biggest clubs in Portugal and one of the richest who had won 10 trophies in the 10 years prior to Jose.

Chelsea were one of, if not the richest club in the country, unlimited resources who had won 5 trophies in the 10 years before Jose took over.

Inter Milan have always been one of the powerhouses in Italian football and had won 7 trophies prior to Jose taking over.

Madrid. Enough said.

Man Utd. Enough said.

Point being, we cant compare Joses trophy record and using that as a reason for potential success when the playing field is different. We aren't in the top 2 for richest clubs in the league. We aren't a club filled with recent successes.

We would all love Jose to be a success but using that past success, most of which were when Harry Kane was a teenager, as a way to prove he will be is stupid.

Next season, we judge him. Because then there are no excuses. None of the "these players aren't his" bullshit, none of the "no pre season or transfer window" bollocks.

Good luck Jose.

Well it wont be his squad will it?...
Hes been in the job half a season and with the pandemic hes got like 6 weeks to recruit and plan for next season, if you expect there to be wholesale changes and him to work magic then you would be mistaken.
Its still a transitional period, to reach the top 4 would be the plan for next season and to try and win a domestic trophy.
Poch didnt hit the ground running so jose should be given the same amount of time as him, theres no quick fix.

Also trying to water down his achievements is a joke surely?
He won the champions league with porto! Saying porto are rich in their league doesnt change the fact he was a small fish in the champions league and won it, inter wernt the powerhouse at all and even if they were he won the treble and beat probably one of the best teams in the world with that barce team, man united havnt competed since Ferguson left and he still managed to reach 3 finals and win 2 trophies with that shocking team and injuries .

To all the people saying he was a failure at united and hes past it answer me this, if he did what he did at united at spurs wouldnt that be a success?
A league cup, europa league with a champions league qualification?

Feel free to actually quote the post where I said this. Until then, keep waffling.
You didn’t actually admit Poch wasn’t good enough but that’s what your claim actually amounts to.

You state that they can’t be compared because Jose never managed a small club or Poch a big one.
I asked you if you could not say on that basis that SAF is better than Pardew.

Care to answer that for me this time?

You didn’t actually admit Poch wasn’t good enough but that’s what your claim actually amounts to.

You state that they can’t be compared because Jose never managed a small club or Poch a big one.
I asked you if you could not say on that basis that SAF is better than Pardew.

Care to answer that for me this time?

I said you can't compare Mourinhos time at Tottenham and Pochettinos time at Tottenham based on the fact Mourinho has won 23 trophies in his career. Which people seem to do. I see it all the time "Mourinho is a WINNER!!!!!!" and numerous posts bringing up the fact hes won things, despite the clubs hes won things at were set up in place TO WIN THINGS.

Ramos won more trophies here than Pochettino yet I can tell you now who the more memorable and more successful manager was between the two.

I said you can't compare Mourinhos time at Tottenham and Pochettinos time at Tottenham based on the fact Mourinho has won 23 trophies in his career. Which people seem to do. I see it all the time "Mourinho is a WINNER!!!!!!" and numerous posts bringing up the fact hes won things, despite the clubs hes won things at were set up in place TO WIN THINGS.

Ramos won more trophies here than Pochettino yet I can tell you now who the more memorable and more successful manager was between the two.
You have no problem comparing Poch and Ramos time though it seems while mentioning trophies

Shocking stat and just shows how deep rooted our problems had become way before Jose arrived
Apart from gooners and Leicester we haven’t exactly had to play any top teams in that run. But fair play it’s still some consistency although the performances have been drab.

He did.

Or are you forgetting Chelsea were one of, if not, the wealthiest teams in the country!?

I know you tend to come across as thick in most of your posts, but i thought even you would be able to understand.

Mourinho has 0 trophies at Spurs. Pochettino has 0 trophies as Spurs. That's the only comparison that should be made between the two.

And until Jose wins something at Spurs, he hasn't performed any better.
What if he loses two CL finals?
Has he elevated us?

What if he loses two CL finals?
Has he elevated us?

Won't be getting to two CL finals by finishing 6th every year.

I'm also not sure Jose will be at the club long enough to actually attempt getting to one Champions League final, let alone 2.

Good luck to him though.

Well it wont be his squad will it?...
Hes been in the job half a season and with the pandemic hes got like 6 weeks to recruit and plan for next season, if you expect there to be wholesale changes and him to work magic then you would be mistaken.
Its still a transitional period, to reach the top 4 would be the plan for next season and to try and win a domestic trophy.
Poch didnt hit the ground running so jose should be given the same amount of time as him, theres no quick fix.

Also trying to water down his achievements is a joke surely?
He won the champions league with porto! Saying porto are rich in their league doesnt change the fact he was a small fish in the champions league and won it, inter wernt the powerhouse at all and even if they were he won the treble and beat probably one of the best teams in the world with that barce team, man united havnt competed since Ferguson left and he still managed to reach 3 finals and win 2 trophies with that shocking team and injuries .

To all the people saying he was a failure at united and hes past it answer me this, if he did what he did at united at spurs wouldnt that be a success?
A league cup, europa league with a champions league qualification?
League cup and Europa league next season still won’t be considered as good as losing against pool in the final of the CL! :mourthumb:

Hope he will stay for more than a few years and not buy any players. Mourinho has a record of bad expensive buys. Levy will reign that in. Get a proper DOF in.

Back
Top Bottom