Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I realise I'm a miserable fuck, but unfortunately I still can't bring myself to credit our results this week to Mourinho. My anti José sentiment still leaves me thinking the 3 wins are in spite of, rather thanks to José's tactics.

Has a Mourinho team ever scored 13 in 2 games?
Really????? :mourweird:

I realise I'm a miserable fuck, but unfortunately I still can't bring myself to credit our results this week to Mourinho. My anti José sentiment still leaves me thinking the 3 wins are in spite of, rather thanks to José's tactics.

It's not only about tactics. It is way more. They way that you talk, the selections, your mentality.

You might not want to give credits for the tactics, you should -at least- admit that his selections and his way to keep them motivated worked for the last 3 weeks.

If we get Inter and first stint Chelsea Jose instead the United one I think even the doubters like me will get fully behind him. I think today also went a long way to showing he actually did have a team full of cunts at United and he did overachieve with them.
Then please be reasonable with expectation. We want to win, and try the best we can, even when football doesn't look fun. Don't be like them with that horseshit arrogant United way, we're given God right to win every game, and play certain way with flawed players.

And 6-1 again
Really????? :mourweird:
I'm sorry. I knew I'd get pelters. And 6-1 against Man U is beyond my wildest dreams.

I do struggle with letting go of things that resonate with me though.

e.g.:
N'Koudu in the Racists shirt
Danny's interview with the Sun
Jose proclaiming that you win games by not conceding.

I'll get over it (when we win the league)

Just like Pochettino was the perfect manager five years ago for our young, pacey, athletic, and relentless squad, Mourinho feels like a great fit for a squad coming into proverbial footballing middle age.

It‘s tough to keep up the intensity that a Pochettino side played at forever both mentally and physically. You could see that the last few years Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Rose, Toby, Dembele, Vertonghen, etc weren’t quite capable of maintaining that relentless tempo. Just look at how much better Kane looks after being able to take a few months break with the COVID league suspension.

I also think the Spurs/Pochettino never win trophies thing got into their heads a little bit.

With Mourinho, you bring in a manager who has clearly focused on mentality/winning and we know is a pragmatic manager. We will never be as scintillating as we were three or four years ago under Poch, but we simply don’t have the squad with the legs to do that anymore.

If Mourinho still has it, he really should be able to bring this squad trophies. It’s a now very experienced bunch who have played and won numerous huge games, but just come up slightly short. The hope is that Mourinho has the experience, nous, and that little bit of black magic to push them over the hump.

Last edited:
Has he said somewhere it's a 2 year project or something?

Hope not. I want it to be his project to get us a League and CL title. Long-term success pls.

He's got nowhere left to go anyway. Did it with Porto, Chelsea, Inter and Madrid. Had a go at Utd, discovered they were wankers. Only really leaves Bayern....not really a challenge though. Maybe Juve but doubt it.
I thinks it's in context of settling our star player, especially Kane, down. If we can't win something, and step up to the next level as a big team, it would be understandable on gentleman term to let them leave if they wish. Achieving that objective, then we will revise the plan. We can't do that progression shit forever expecting players to gamble their career with us, hoping just being a little better from previous season. Have to achieve some hard silverware to show.

You need a right mixture of short term planning to go along with medium long term planning, or we end up like Gooners. World is not standing still. Other clubs can get a lucky break which break ahead of our long term planning. Need to be at best both, to take it to next level.

And 6-1 again
I'm sorry. I knew I'd get pelters. And 6-1 against Man U is beyond my wildest dreams.

I do struggle with letting go of things that resonate with me though.

e.g.:
N'Koudu in the Racists shirt
Danny's interview with the Sun
Jose proclaiming that you win games by not conceding.

I'll get over it (when we win the league)
agree with difficulty in letting things go, but I've always had a soft spot for Jose (apart from his 2nd spell at Chelsea, when he was a wally over the Willian signing).
No-one in their right mind would play a defensive game with a forward line like ours.

I put this down to... it’s late, and everyone’s been celebrating pretty hard, and ... we all say stuff ... and ... we all still LOVE the flag OK - nobody has forgotten the importance of the flag...

:mourshock::dierpochhug:

I put this down to... it’s late, and everyone’s been celebrating pretty hard, and ... we all say stuff ... and ... we all still LOVE the flag OK - nobody has forgotten the importance of the flag...

:mourshock::dierpochhug:
As John Lennon said...

All you need is a flag
Rrrrrahp de dah de daaahp
A flag is all you need.

It's possible I may be slightly misremembering the exact lyrics.

I know that today's game has somewhat of an asterisk to it with the red card. But based off of our current run of form (1 loss in 14 games or something like that) and how united the team looks. I get the feeling that our players have drunk way more of the Jose Kool-Aid than the United lot ever did. Our players buy what he is selling and are listening.
We have players wanting to be here for the club first and foremost.

Some of the players at United is pure for money purpose. Alexis Sanchez tweeted in last few weeks or so about he was ready to join Man Shitty only turning out to join Man U after the huge offer. Group of players that is childishly jealous of each other. Imagine having half the squad of Danny Rose but them being fan favorite (due to their business geared toward generating hype). No wonder Mourinho said finish 2nd with that lot was one of his biggest achievement.

Last edited:
Can't understand how the voting hasn't moved to at least 90%..............come on guys, man up and act like a woman - feel free to change your mind, I won't tell anyone! You know it makes sense!!

:mourthumb:

We all know Jose isn’t a long term manager, but let’s just enjoy him whilst he’s here. He seems to love being here and if anyone can bring trophies to this club, it’s Jose Mourinho. He’s slowly building up something special here boys.
He could be a long term manager. If he's happy. He clashed with abramovic at Chelsea. Clashed with the players at Madrid and man utd. He has seemed happy at clubs that appreciate him and if the players aren't total dicks. Usually he'd be moving up to a bigger team when leaving a club under his terms (porto-Chelsea, inter-Madrid) but I think he's not getting a job bigger than us these days. With the age he is and how he seems happy in his job (for now) I don't see why it must only be a short term appointment. The Portugal job is kinda the only job I can see him wanting to take on, can't think of another big team that would be trying to poach him off us?

He could be a long term manager. If he's happy. He clashed with abramovic at Chelsea. Clashed with the players at Madrid and man utd. He has seemed happy at clubs that appreciate him and if the players aren't total dicks. Usually he'd be moving up to a bigger team when leaving a club under his terms (porto-Chelsea, inter-Madrid) but I think he's not getting a job bigger than us these days. With the age he is and how he seems happy in his job (for now) I don't see why it must only be a short term appointment. The Portugal job is kinda the only job I can see him wanting to take on, can't think of another big team that would be trying to poach him off us?
I believe this is how it’ll play out. The structure here, his seemingly good and respectful relationship with Levy, London, are all ingredients for him staying here for a while IMO.

He went to United to do a Fergie and realized they are finished. Couldn’t believe his luck when Poch was sacked and Levy called up. We are a what he needed and he is exactly what we need to explode.

Buckle up lads.

We all know Jose isn’t a long term manager, but let’s just enjoy him whilst he’s here. He seems to love being here and if anyone can bring trophies to this club, it’s Jose Mourinho. He’s slowly building up something special here boys.
I wonder. Don't forget that he signed a contract extension after a couple of years at United before the wheels came off.

As you say, he seems to be loving it here (at the moment) and if he achieved greatness with Spurs it would arguably be one of his finest achievements as manager. I'd be thrilled if this trajectory continues and he makes it more than three seasons with us.

One other thing to point out from today - the man is so clever he was even 'managing' Levy somewhat during his post match interviews: making a point of praising the whole squad for victories this week (being able to rotate, etc).

Very very cunning. Has gotten Levy to sign strength in depth but is making sure to give him a pat on the head for it too.

With VAR + average refs, you never know what could happen.

Definitely winnable, though.

We can certainly be confident going into every game now.

Love that feeling.
we have healthy squad depth this year, i don't want any of our players down injured but we can now change our starting 11 every week and it won't have much drop in quality

es mentally & motivationally in the squad and methodically gone after players in positions that needed attention.

Couldn't agree more. Looks like his negative tactics towards the end of last season were a result of his player's availability rather than his blueprint. With our best men available this season it looks like Mou is happy for us to go at teams which is what we have the personnel to do. Very excited for the coming months, COYS!
he only negatives when he doesn't trust his back line, like he did at united, rather shut up the shop and gave team a chance to win than conceding like morons, Ole tried to play from the back with that back five and look what happens

Back
Top Bottom