Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can anyone seriously say they can see the team being coached. I don’t. There is no improvement in our “style” of play. We can’t defend due personnel and link up play between the defence , midfield and attack is virtually non existent. It’s basically hit and hope football of the most basic nature. Is this what paying £15M/ yr gets you? Levy will want top 4 min due to finances. If the shit footi continues we don’t get top 4 and/or trophy any hint of Kane and son leaving, levy will pull the trigger. Unfortunately Jose is not gonna build or develop a great foundation which will last a few years with youngsters being introduced. He hasn’t pushed any through so far. We don’t have the money to overhaul the squad as we know he would like by getting the cheque book out. So it will all lead to
a mess of a squad which will be depleted if players leave and seriously under trained and couched. With no youth being pushed through. I think he has this season to deliver the minimum levy requirements otherwise no point continuing especially if we are actually a worse team in both points and style than when poch left. Levy always goes on about the great traditions of the club so I think he can take 1/2 years of breaking from that if we win some trophies and get top 4. But if there is continued disgruntlement with the fans and players start leaving / falling out of favour due to jose throwing them under the bus Levy will act. Rebthe final only way we will win will be with 20% procession and getting lucky again that city squander all their chances. One more thing I think our best CD pair should be Toby and Rodon. Dier is so dumb with his aimless long punts to no one. Just gives the ball back.

Unfortunately I don’t see the shit football go away. You probably know him better but I am told he was doing the same at Man Utd - score, defend lead, concede, get desperate to score again, fail. I mean I would understand if we did it against top 6 sides but against Fulham? They’re fucking Championship quality and we’re a top 6 club, they’re not overachieving either like Sheff Utd last year, I am really wondering what’s our approach gonna be against them in the weekend cause if we sit back again after we eventually score, I’m going to be mad.
Yeah it’s not looking good at all. We have much better attackers than defenders. It makes no sense to play such a defensive football

Spurs managers first full season at matchday 17:

Martin Jol - 31 pts
Harry Redknapp - 30 pts
Jose Mourinho - 30 pts
Andre Villas Boas - 29 pts
Mauricio Pochettino - 27 pts
George Graham - 27 pts
Glenn Hoddle - 27 pts

Whilst not full seasons, here are Sherwoods and Juande Ramos' first 17 games as manager:

Tim Sherwood - 32 pts
Juande Ramos - 25 pts

Not a lot on that probably not a lot to take away analysing these stats

We're hideously consistent?

Here are Spurs' average position, goals scored, goals conceded and points from the last 12 years at the same stage (Bare in mind we've been managed by 5 managers within this same time frame)

5th
31 points
29 goals scored
20 goals conceded

This season:

6th
30 points
30 goals scored
16 goals conceded

Incredible really. We've remained consistent and constant whilst teams have fluctuated around us. Man Utd's decline. Liverpool being poor from most of the decade. Chelsea being league winners to strugglers every other year etc.

We've just remained as consistent old Tottenham that haven't really achieved anything.

Last edited:

Here are Spurs' average position, goals scored, goals conceded and points from the last 12 years at the same stage (Bare in mind we've been managed by 5 managers within this same time frame)

5th
31 points
29 goals scored
20 goals conceded

This season:

6th
30 points
30 goals scored
16 goals conceded

Incredible really. We've remained consistent and constant whilst teams have fluctuated around us. Man Utd's decline. Liverpool being poor from most of the decade. Chelsea being league winners to strugglers every other year etc.

We've just remained as consistent old Tottenham that haven't really achieved anything.
High 60’s/low 70’s points haul has been more or less our benchmark for the past 15 years or so bar the outlier of 86 points in 2016/17. For all the talk of nearly wining the league in 2015/16, we actually finished that season 11 points adrift of Leicester on 70 points.

The record low points winning haul of 75 in the EPL era from Man U in 1996/97 could well be under threat this season, but that’s not going to affect us. I reckon we’ll get 65/66 points this season.

To be honest, if Jose wants to sell or not play our young players that have developed at the club (KWP, Winks, Skipp, Alli, Tanganga) and replace them with expensive 'top players' - its not Tottenham Hotspur that win those trophies; its Jose Mourinho inc... It could have been any club.

Prime Poch we had goals and assists coming from a wider group of players - not just Kane and Son but also Alli and Eriksen made massive contributions.

The 16/17 season when we were unbeaten at The Lane and only lost 4 games all season with 86 points even Wanyama got 4 goals in the league and he was our PEH.

I miss that football, at it's best it was exhilarating and exciting, I still think Chelsea having no European footy that year cost us the league.

5th
31 points
29 goals scored
20 goals conceded

This season:

6th
30 points
30 goals scored
16 goals conceded

Yes may be consistent but playing a brand of football mostly far removed from those previous seasons except perhaps for graham.

Martin Jol - 31 pts
Harry Redknapp - 30 pts
Jose Mourinho - 30 pts
George Graham - 27 pts
Glenn Hoddle - 27 pts

Whilst not full seasons, here are Sherwoods and Juande Ramos' first 17 games as manager:

Tim Sherwood - 32 pts
Juande Ramos - 25 pts
None of those managers had the best two strikers in Europe

Martin Jol - 31 pts
Harry Redknapp - 30 pts
Jose Mourinho - 30 pts
George Graham - 27 pts
Glenn Hoddle - 27 pts

Tim Sherwood - 32 pts
Juande Ramos - 25 pts
Bit tilted that as Poch took on a mess wheras all the other managers bar AVB came mid season so they had time to build before their first full season as well as 2 transfer windows. I look at Redknapp who came at a similar time to Mourinho and at this stage of 09/10 had us in 4th playing some superb football. He took over a ramshackle side that were bottom. What are we getting for our £15m a year? I believe pretty much any manager would have us in a similar or better position and probably playing better football. As said many times if you win the league playing this way thats one thing but being Mr Average whilst boring everyone to tears?

Prime Poch we had goals and assists coming from a wider group of players - not just Kane and Son but also Alli and Eriksen made massive contributions.

The 16/17 season when we were unbeaten at The Lane and only lost 4 games all season with 86 points even Wanyama got 4 goals in the league and he was our PEH.

I miss that football, at it's best it was exhilarating and exciting, I still think Chelsea having no European footy that year cost us the league.

The team is scoring enough goals. The real problem is the DEFENSE.
Even when Alli and Eriksen was scoring goals, there were many games in Poch era in which the games are won by just one goal.

If we had prime Jan and Toby instead of Sanchez and Dier, we would've won that game vs Fullham easy. One goal should be plenty to win many games.
And it's not like this team is not scoring goal either. Spurs scored more goals than City this season, but City is ahead because they have better defense.
(City won against Brighton with just one goal today)

I mean this team even scored 3 goals against West Ham and still couldn't win that game.

Eriksen or Alli scoring is not gonna make much difference if we allow other team to score 3 goals with few minutes left in the game.
Bayern scoring 7 on Poch era wasn't very exciting to watch either...

the real problem is in defense, and you will see more disappointing result if the team doesn't improve defense soon

Last edited:
Even when Alli and Eriksen was scoring goals, there were many games in Poch era in which the games are won by just one goal.

If we had prime Jan and Toby instead of Sanchez and Dier, we would've won that game vs Fullham easy. One goal should be plenty to win many games.
And it's not like we are not scoring goal either. As matter of fact, this team is actually very good at scoring goals.
We scored more goals than City this season, and just look at how City is winning games.
They won against Brighton with just one goal today.

I mean this team even scored 3 goals against West Ham and still couldn't win that game.
Eriksen or Alli scoring is not gonna make much difference if we allow other team to score 3 goals with few minutes left in the game.

Bayern score 7 on us in Poch era, and it wasn't very exciting to watch personally....
the real problem is in defense, and you will see more disappointing result in the future if the team doesn't improve defense soon
I would counter that and say its the amount of work the defence is being asked to do. The more offensive play we have to defend the more likely we will concede. This is what happening we go ahead sit back then concede late after defending for large parts of the game. If we had a game plan that attacked more we would be defending less slender leads and not putting our side under unnecessary tension. Toby and jan rarely had to face constant attack.

I would counter that and say its the amount of work the defence is being asked to do. The more offensive play we have to defend the more likely we will concede. This is what happening we go ahead sit back then concede late after defending for large parts of the game. If we had a game plan that attacked more we would be defending less slender leads and not putting our side under unnecessary tension. Toby and jan rarely had to face constant attack.

all valid points... and i agree.
This team definitely need more quality in the midfield and maybe more offense to lessen the pressure on defense.

but still... offense did enough to win many games this season...

any decent defense should be able to defend 3 goal lead with only few minute left in the game.

Last edited:

And it's not like this team is not scoring goal either. Spurs scored more goals than City this season, but City is ahead because they have better defense.
(City won against Brighton with just one goal today)

Bayern scoring 7 on Poch era wasn't very exciting to watch either...

the real problem is in defense, and you will see more disappointing result if the team doesn't improve defense soon
Our goal scoring figures are somewhat skewed by 6 at Old Trafford and 5 at Southampton. In 10 of our 17 league games, we’ve scored 1 goal or less. We’ve conceded in 11 of 17 league games. That equates to a lot of 1-1 draws which is exactly what’s transpired.

Back
Top Bottom