Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let's be honest the likes of United and Liverpool have been a very successful club for many years and are a cities divided by a lot less clubs.

The populations of Manchester and Liverpool are tiny compared to London, though. Also that whole north-west area has a huge amount of cities and towns with football teams close together in a way you don't really get anywhere else in England. In my opinion it's time for Manchester and Liverpool to stop pretending and just admit they are suburbs of the same city. But if I go on Red Cafe and RAWK and say that and they call me mad...

#THFC overtook Borussia Dortmund to rise one place in the Deloitte Money League to 11th, just behind Juventus. Given the increased revenue from the new stadium and more lucrative commercial deals, there is every change of them breaking into the top ten.pic.twitter.com/BtvesRAgOD

DaUy7GNXcAExZeL.jpg
What stands out most to me is the financial impact of being a "big" club. I don't mean that we aren't but it's clear when we look at the % of our revenue that is comprised of "commercial" that this is where we need the most gain.

If 24% of our revenue was made up in commercial, that's 73.44MM pounds last season. The only other clubs above us that are even close to that percentage are Juve and woolwich who are both at 28%, and roughly 97.7MM and 117.3MM pounds respectively.

Take out LCFC due to the anomaly of the whole sitaution, and we are easily the lowest in terms of commercial as part of overall revenue as the top 15 clubs. Inter actually generate more revenue in terms of commercial activities than us, and their overall revenue is 46% less than ours.

The world's largest club shop is not going to make this up for us, this is really about branding, marketing, and extended success at this point.

What stands out most to me is the financial impact of being a "big" club. I don't mean that we aren't but it's clear when we look at the % of our revenue that is comprised of "commercial" that this is where we need the most gain.

If 24% of our revenue was made up in commercial, that's 73.44MM pounds last season. The only other clubs above us that are even close to that percentage are Juve and woolwich who are both at 28%, and roughly 97.7MM and 117.3MM pounds respectively.

Take out LCFC due to the anomaly of the whole sitaution, and we are easily the lowest in terms of commercial as part of overall revenue as the top 15 clubs. Inter actually generate more revenue in terms of commercial activities than us, and their overall revenue is 46% less than ours.

The world's largest club shop is not going to make this up for us, this is really about branding, marketing, and extended success at this point.

Agree with all that.

IMO, Levy's strategy in building the stadium is to get as close in revenue terms as Woolwich, Chelsea and Liverpool, so that we have a more level playing field than currently when it comes to getting players - then let Poch's smile (and ability to organise and train) and Levy's commercial acumen bridge any gap, together with getting a few more 'free' players out of the academy.

The stadium should double our match day revenues - so if we stay in CL that could be another £40m whilst SwissRamble has highlighted the new sponsorship deals could bring in another £34m and the stadium should also bring in a naming rights deal (£20m ?) plus more advertising space etc.....and over time I think a lot more 'secondary sponsors' (which is where ManU do so well) plus the opportunities for NFL income and other non match day events..

SwissRamble has also highlighted that we still get less TV appearances than the likes of Liverpool - which translates into more £'s if we continue to grow as a brand and get more TV exposure.

So I think we are on track to close the gap on Woolwich, Liverpool and Chelsea - and I think it perfectly possible that we overtake Chelsea's revenues inside 2 (financial) years and possibly one of the others, although Liverpool's stadium expansion may help them keep just beyond us.

But its a bit of a tightrope to walk (as Swiss Ramble said) as it depends upon us continuing to get into CL for a few more years and that exposure growing the commercial revenue streams.

The mad thing about those numbers is that our 6th placed wage bill is closer to Burnley at the bottom of the table than Woolwich in 5th....
I expect that gap to close significantly this summer after the stadium is complete, CL is confirmed, and new sponsorships are signed. My guess is that our wage bill will close to double over the next 2-3 summers to around 200-210 million, and revenue will be 400m+ with CL football.

Another point to make - these numbers reflect a reduced WHL capacity and do not include increased commercial revenues from the Nike deal and renewed AIA deal. Tottenham will steadily catch up to the other big 6 clubs in commercial income.

I can tell you now that Tottenham are also making a real impact in the US market (and Asia, for that matter). The "fan zones" for lack of a better word during their US tour last year were really fantastic. A lot of great engagement with supporters clubs as well - the club does an excellent job of treating you like more than just an afterthought.

People are fine to criticize Levy, but I can't think of someone else I'd rather have actually running the club's day to day.

You mean how the hell are West Ham so high yet so bad ?

Answers :
a) High - London club so more £'s (and in future years big stadium x small prices = decent revenues)
b) Bad - Dildo brothers and Brady, and you had to ask ?!
Simpler than that, they’re so high because they sold everything of value in the club including their stadium and best player. It’s a 1 off, they’re careening towards financial disaster.

I expect that gap to close significantly this summer after the stadium is complete, CL is confirmed, and new sponsorships are signed. My guess is that our wage bill will close to double over the next 2-3 summers to around 200-210 million, and revenue will be 400m+ with CL football.

Another point to make - these numbers reflect a reduced WHL capacity and do not include increased commercial revenues from the Nike deal and renewed AIA deal. Tottenham will steadily catch up to the other big 6 clubs in commercial income.

I can tell you now that Tottenham are also making a real impact in the US market (and Asia, for that matter). The "fan zones" for lack of a better word during their US tour last year were really fantastic. A lot of great engagement with supporters clubs as well - the club does an excellent job of treating you like more than just an afterthought.

People are fine to criticize Levy, but I can't think of someone else I'd rather have actually running the club's day to day.
There is also the fact that Woolwich missing out on CL revenue, for last year along with Liverpool this represents a revenue swing of approx £70m in out favour. Same again next year for Chavs Woolwich again.

Simpler than that, they’re so high because they sold everything of value in the club including their stadium and best player. It’s a 1 off, they’re careening towards financial disaster.
This isn't really true, they have been at a similar level for the past decade, this is their level while in the PL, the stadium revenue was similar to the cost of sissoko (once you take off the bit going to renovations)

So a 25%+ increase in wages in the space of a year is now not good enough.

tenor.gif

It's what happens when you base your opinions on previous agenda, tabloids, talk sport and hyperbole.

Rather than facts.

As i said, new contracts will come in the summer.

T-minus ten till the - "gonna put the "best businessman" award in your trophy cabinet are ya!?" argument.

I love how some simple cunts on here think that Levy's compensation correlates in some way with the number of hours he does. Do you think he gets time and a half after five? Double time on Sundays? Maybe he hands his timesheet into Joe Lewis?

Aw, cute.

I understood that argument more as the level of responsibility/ pressure he has compared to the players.

The players run around and kick a ball about a bit. Levy is running a club with 100s of employees, many of whom are reporting to him.

Comparing his wages to that of the players is like comparing apples to oranges. His wages should be compared to MDs or CEOs of other businesses with a similar number of employees.

Do you earn more than your boss’ boss?
If so, would it be ok if I join your company and earn more than the lot of you? PM me mate. I’m in.
I didn't say anything about earning more than bosses. & your comparing a normal job with 1 at a massive football club.
If tesco did that, the checkout workers would take their shirt off & celebrate when the tills were full!

But he's not on £6m a year. All the articles make that very clear, such as this one in The Guardian (It is understood that the figure did not only include Levy’s annual wage but also a back-dated pay-rise and various performance bonuses, of which some were also back-dated) or this one in The Times (The huge increase is understood to be a one-off payment that included bonuses for achieving record turnover for the club and delivering the new stadium, which is due to open at the start of next season, rather than a new salary).
Lets see. I'd be surprised if he got a lot less the following year. But you could be right & it drops a million or 2.

I didn't say anything about earning more than bosses. & your comparing a normal job with 1 at a massive football club.
If tesco did that, the checkout workers would take their shirt off & celebrate when the tills were full!
Do you really think that Toby deserves to be paid more than the Chairman, who has been at the club for 20 years & is overseeing the most important redevelopment in the club’s entire history?

Its a silly question. Does kane? If we keep kane then he's on more than levy?
oh no! I'm happy for kane to earn more than levy. Doubt levy will jack it all in if a player earns more than him.

So, people are pissed off because Levy is paid on the same kind of bonus structure he imposes on the players, and under that structure, delivered on all his targets, but still got paid less than Moussa Sissoko?

Back
Top Bottom