Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Excellent point. If the clubs below us, spending more don't bear fruits of their risk it'll be interesting to see what happens to them.

The only leg the club has to stand on is the stadium build when it comes to money spent andnindo still think that was the right thing to do for the future stability & success of the club
It will be interesting. Unless they are spending within their means, i.e. spending the TV money (which they may be doing) it seems the owners are prepared to gamble in order to try and raise the profile of the club and then sell on at a higher profit.

Edit: I guess with the TV money increasing so much year after year, they could probably hope to sell at a big profit in a few years time simply by keeping afloat and avoiding relegation.

whats worse is the leveraged buy, like the Glazers at man u. Buy the club on credit, then transfer that debt to the club, so the club effectively pays for you to buy it.
Yeah that's even more crazy. Though in the short term, United don't seem to have suffered from it. They've suffered on the pitch but I think that's more down to Fergie leaving. They still spend a lot on players.

Will be very interesting to see what happens to United, City and Chelsea in the long run. United I would imagine have so much power as a global brand it will probably insure them somewhat against whatever damage the Glazers do to them, but I could be wrong.

Sissoko and Aurier are relatively big budget players (although clearly not top price) - remembering of course that PSG had to sell for FFP reasons so we got a 'decent price' , although given his performances to date are riddled with errors, we probably over paid.

And Llorente given his pedigree, and he's not that old, should have been performing much better than he has - not sure if that's just his fault or that Poch is not playing the team in a way to get more out of him,

Janssen I thought was an astute buy - Dutch international scoring freely in Dutch league, But he's struggled to make an impact .

The likes of M'Koudou were clearly punts, but its a shame that one of them have not come off.

But by the way spending big is no guarantee of success - remember Liverpool buying Carroll (now at Wham) from Newcastle and many others who have flopped despite their reputations

I think we where unlucky that a few more didn’t turn out well but we are in a strange situation where we have a top squad but a weak to average budget, hence why it is so hard to improve our depth.

Has Levy ever not actually delivered what he said he would?

- new training ground
- consistent CL football
- new stadium

It all just takes him longer than it probably should

Longer than it should???

How long should it of taken?
And how many other clubs have successfully made the leap to consistent top 4?

It will be interesting. Unless they are spending within their means, i.e. spending the TV money (which they may be doing) it seems the owners are prepared to gamble in order to try and raise the profile of the club and then sell on at a higher profit.

Edit: I guess with the TV money increasing so much year after year, they could probably hope to sell at a big profit in a few years time simply by keeping afloat and avoiding relegation.

I think you might be half right but I ain't sure about the whole avoiding relegation theory. I think you could be onto something regarding the clubs profile and staying within certain financial means however. If they continue keeping the club in the Champions League whilst overseeing the stadium & training ground build, regardless of their overall objective that's a pretty successful piece of work as they navigate through a bit of ball juggling across a fair few spectrums I guess.

Up until a month or two ago I loved where the club was heading. It might just be a few hiccups but for a multi billion company in business terms there's been a few bizarre decisions made recently. We'll see how it goes

I think you might be half right but I ain't sure about the whole avoiding relegation theory. I think you could be onto something regarding the clubs profile and staying within certain financial means however. If they continue keeping the club in the Champions League whilst overseeing the stadium & training ground build, regardless of their overall objective that's a pretty successful piece of work as they navigate through a bit of ball juggling across a fair few spectrums I guess.

Up until a month or two ago I loved where the club was heading. It might just be a few hiccups but for a multi billion company in business terms there's been a few bizarre decisions made recently. We'll see how it goes
I should have clarified, in my previous post I was not talking about Spurs regarding relegation and that, but the lower clubs (non-top six clubs) spending a lot of money on transfers and what they are hoping to achieve with that.

I should have clarified, in my previous post I was not talking about Spurs regarding relegation and that, but the lower clubs (non-top six clubs) spending a lot of money on transfers and what they are hoping to achieve with that.

Oh apologies I read it wrong. In that case I agree. Part of their short term plan will be to move heaven & earth to secure Premier League survival until the teams brand rises and they can kick on another level or sell up. The only ones I don't think this relates to are the ones owned by sugar daddies that genuinely just use football as a hobby because they have become bored with normal life.

I'm fascinated by what will happen over the next couple of years. So many clubs risking it and others taking a more measured approach. It'll be interesting to see how things go over the next 3 or 4 years

Oh apologies I read it wrong. In that case I agree. Part of their short term plan will be to move heaven & earth to secure Premier League survival until the teams brand rises and they can kick on another level or sell up. The only ones I don't think this relates to are the ones owned by sugar daddies that genuinely just use football as a hobby because they have become bored with normal life.

I'm fascinated by what will happen over the next couple of years. So many clubs risking it and others taking a more measured approach. It'll be interesting to see how things go over the next 3 or 4 years
As as I'm aware, the sugar daddies scenario is becoming more and more rare. The money in football is now so high that even extremely wealthy individuals generally don't have the kind of cash needed to bankroll a side any more. The exception is Man City because they have the entire wealth of a nation behind them effectively. And of course Chelsea, but even Abramovich has tightened the purse strings somewhat lately, compared to how he was before.

As as I'm aware, the sugar daddies scenario is becoming more and more rare. The money in football is now so high that even extremely wealthy individuals generally don't have the kind of cash needed to bankroll a side any more. The exception is Man City because they have the entire wealth of a nation behind them effectively. And of course Chelsea, but even Abramovich has tightened the purse strings somewhat lately, compared to how he was before.

The only genuinely possible way you grow safely is investing in your stadium etc. The matchday receipts are the only thing that will keep your club ahead of the curve when it comes to money received ahead of all your rivals. Sugar Daddies come and go, TV money is dispensed equally I remember reading. Infrastructure is the only way you keep the money flowing long term above all else that goes on

The only genuinely possible way you grow safely is investing in your stadium etc. The matchday receipts are the only thing that will keep your club ahead of the curve when it comes to money received ahead of all your rivals. Sugar Daddies come and go, TV money is dispensed equally I remember reading. Infrastructure is the only way you keep the money flowing long term above all else that goes on
Not to mention that the TV money is a bubble that is likely to burst some day.

Owning your stadium and other facilities is key to sustainable success.

Not to mention that the TV money is a bubble that is likely to burst some day.

Owning your stadium and other facilities is key to sustainable success.
Its quite astonishing that in an every growing digital world, football still is rather analogue, mainly because the tv rights are so high that nobody can really disrupt the market like has been done for movies, series and music.

Its quite astonishing that in an every growing digital world, football still is rather analogue, mainly because the tv rights are so high that nobody can really disrupt the market like has been done for movies, series and music.
It can and will happen on a smaller scale. It's already starting in fact. Up here IMG media just won the broadcast rights for the Serie A and La Liga when the existing deals ran out. And their sollution to figuring out what channel to broadcast it on was to launch a streaming service. 7£ a month, all games, no "one game per kick off time" nonsense. Just football for a cheap buck.

It will be harder to get ahold of say the PL rights, but once the TV bubble bursts I can definitely see most top level football moving to more affordable streaming platforms instead of traditional TV.

Other clubs are spending money earned by the clubs, very few are able to get around FFP. Likes of Fulham are gambling a little but in general most teams are not.

The way we are spending is abnormal / anormal compared to the league and pre Poch we were spending £20M net (if I recall), at the same time our Wage to Turnover ratio is reducing.

I am not complaining about the way we are doing things this is the best time I remember being a spurs fan.

Infrastructure improvements can come from income outside of Football, a sugar daddy can invest on these. The fact we appear to be using football income to fund infrastructure is a choice. If we didn't have Poch and CL football we would be protesting around about now.

It can and will happen on a smaller scale. It's already starting in fact. Up here IMG media just won the broadcast rights for the Serie A and La Liga when the existing deals ran out. And their sollution to figuring out what channel to broadcast it on was to launch a streaming service. 7£ a month, all games, no "one game per kick off time" nonsense. Just football for a cheap buck.

It will be harder to get ahold of say the PL rights, but once the TV bubble bursts I can definitely see most top level football moving to more affordable streaming platforms instead of traditional TV.

Didn't IMG pay more for the rights than Sky? new media platforms will increase the value of existing deals not decrease, Facebook and Amazon are expected to enter the market next.

Longer than it should???

How long should it of taken?
And how many other clubs have successfully made the leap to consistent top 4?

Pretty sure he set himself a target of 5-10 years when he took over - it's been 17.

Chelsea, City and arguably Liverpool have leapt up to consistent top 4 since 2001.

Merchandising and exposure to new markets is the main way of increasing revenue imo - that's why every club is so keen to do those pre-season tournaments around the world.

Yeah but IMG is a part of the italian concern that already owns lots of TV rights on sports in a lot of different countries and also owns channels (eleven sports)

We really are an embarrassment.
Stadium is late, substantially, by the looks of it; naming rights not yet confirmed; and all this at 500M overspend.

That certainly is a well earned bonus Mr Levy. Have the apologists started to realise yet how much he is holding us back?

How are we meant to have a good season when the squad, which should have been strengthened, but wasn’t, have to deal with this crap going on in the background.
A total joke.

I spoke to a Romanian contractor in a pub at the beginning of the year who was working on the stadium. He said that there was absolutely no chance of the stadium being even close to completion for the start of the season. When I mention this to the forum - the Levy apologist did their usual moaning.

#levyout

Stadium is late, substantially, by the looks of it; naming rights not yet confirmed; and all this at 500M overspend.

That certainly is a well earned bonus Mr Levy. Have the apologists started to realise yet how much he is holding us back?

How are we meant to have a good season when the squad, which should have been strengthened, but wasn’t, have to deal with this crap going on in the background.
A total joke.

I spoke to a Romanian contractor in a pub at the beginning of the year who was working on the stadium. He said that there was absolutely no chance of the stadium being even close to completion for the start of the season. When I mention this to the forum - the Levy apologist did their usual moaning.

#levyout
Fuck off you West Ham-avatar twat.

A total joke.

#levyout
An Embarrassment ,no. A pain in the neck, yes.
The only reason we are getting grief from certain quarters is its all they've got(talking about west ham here)They play in athletics stadium, that they have no hope of changing.
I am disappointed(to say the least), but we will be there one day, sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom