Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fan ownership is bloody tricky. You really don’t want Spurs fans making footballing decisions. We’re clueless twunts with a fetish for wingers. You also don’t want them making business decisions, as being fans, they by definition cannot treat professional football as a business (but it is one).

Yet fans provide the soul of the thing. How you give them input while not letting them fuck it up is beyond my pay grade.

Fan ownership is bloody tricky. You really don’t want Spurs fans making footballing decisions. We’re clueless twunts with a fetish for wingers. You also don’t want them making business decisions, as being fans, they by definition cannot treat professional football as a business (but it is one).

Yet fans provide the soul of the thing. How you give them input while not letting them fuck it up is beyond my pay grade.
I'd only really support full fan ownership if all other clubs where also owned by the fans.
But at the moment it would be made even easier for a billionaire owner to bulldoze us.

I said to someone in here a little while ago, that I wondered if the whole lack of stadium naming rights "issue" might have been about the possibility that the whole shebang was up for sale and not wanting to "queer" that pitch as it were. Some people were saying a while ago that the best time to sell was the minute the stadium was complete.

Could all be bollocks, and we just can't find a suitable sponsor, who knows. And I'm pretty sure if anyone had offered Lewis and Levy the right - bonkers - amount, they's have sold anyway. They'd be daft not to, it's not like it's a vanity project for them, certainly not Lewis, the major shareholder.

It will never happen.

Football is the only industry other than maybe the Mafia where you can do business like Daniel Levy and get anywhere.

To sell Spurs ENIC would have to engage with potential buyers in good faith, and whether it's player transfers, stadium sponsors, electrical subcontractors, local councils, property owners, season ticket buyers, whatever, this ownership proves again and again that they aren't capable of that.

Unless you are content with mid table obscurity fan ownership will never work - businesses that excel normally have a bit of a cunt in charge who is prepared to be publicly unpopular, a fan group would either elect someone without those qualities or try to make decisions by committee.
Are Real Madrid and Barcelona not owned by fans (members)? They elect their cunt in charge based upon the promises they make.

Fan ownership is not possible now (without government intervention) but it can be successful.

"
No one person or business group "owns" FC Barcelona.
As mentioned earlier, 155,000 "socis" ("socios" or "members") who each pay up to €140 annually for the privilege.
The socis govern the club by electing a president of the board of directors every four years.
Randomly selected members are appointed to serve as delegates to the general assembly, which approves the annual budget.
Most Spanish clubs, including Real Madrid, are run in the same manner.

Among the many advantages Barcelona members receive include...
-- up to 20% discount on tickets for most matches.
-- 5-10% off merchendise from FCBotiga, the club's store.
-- free stadium and museum tours.
-- free access to open training sessions held at the Mini-Estadi.
and many other perks."

I said to someone in here a little while ago, that I wondered if the whole lack of stadium naming rights "issue" might have been about the possibility that the whole shebang was up for sale and not wanting to "queer" that pitch as it were. Some people were saying a while ago that the best time to sell was the minute the stadium was complete.

Could all be bollocks, and we just can't find a suitable sponsor, who knows. And I'm pretty sure if anyone had offered Lewis and Levy the right - bonkers - amount, they's have sold anyway. They'd be daft not to, it's not like it's a vanity project for them, certainly not Lewis, the major shareholder.
I think but only based on rumours and speculation, that some of the names linked to the naming rights partner have also been linked as potential buyers to e.g. Nike & Facebook etc.. All that could be complete and utter bollocks of course.

That article though is shite, it's taken from one throwaway line in a piece written by Matt Law on the night of the Inter Game

In that, he says that "billionaire owner Joe Lewis “no longer wants to personally invest his fortune into Spurs”."

Well he doesn't nor has he ever invested his personal fortune into the Club. I don't get what he's saying here.

I think but only based on rumours and speculation, that some of the names linked to the naming rights partner have also been linked as potential buyers to e.g. Nike & Facebook etc.. All that could be complete and utter bollocks of course.

That article though is shite, it's taken from one throwaway line in a piece written by Matt Law on the night of the Inter Game

In that, he says that "billionaire owner Joe Lewis “no longer wants to personally invest his fortune into Spurs”."

Well he doesn't nor has he ever invested his personal fortune into the Club. I don't get what he's saying here.

The value of the club has risen from around £120M to around £1.5bn(?) - even if he has put in a bit upfront t for the training ground or stadium that is a great return.

I can't see the whole article but the Watford game we would have been expected to win but Inter and Liverpool are tough games that can go either way, unfortunately it didn't go our way. We win the next 4 league games, Poch will be in the mix for manager of the month.

So you want to startup an annual, and pointless, shareholders meeting like the circus Woolwich had? Minority investors have zero leverage to navigate a company with - ENIC could just as easily take the investment of share floating and fuel up the yacht with it, while you and the THST navigate yourselves in circles of outrage as Uncle Joe pulls one off on the sundeck outside in Antigua.

On second thought, IPO would be great just for the comedy value. Bunch of mugs buying up .001% of the company and then patting themselves on the back about charting a new direction for the club. Fucking SC would be a laugh riot.

Unless you are content with mid table obscurity fan ownership will never work - businesses that excel normally have a bit of a cunt in charge who is prepared to be publicly unpopular, a fan group would either elect someone without those qualities or try to make decisions by committee.

I'd only really support full fan ownership if all other clubs where also owned by the fans.
But at the moment it would be made even easier for a billionaire owner to bulldoze us.

Are Real Madrid and Barcelona not owned by fans (members)? They elect their cunt in charge based upon the promises they make.

Fan ownership is not possible now (without government intervention) but it can be successful.

"
No one person or business group "owns" FC Barcelona.
As mentioned earlier, 155,000 "socis" ("socios" or "members") who each pay up to €140 annually for the privilege.
The socis govern the club by electing a president of the board of directors every four years.
Randomly selected members are appointed to serve as delegates to the general assembly, which approves the annual budget.
Most Spanish clubs, including Real Madrid, are run in the same manner.

Among the many advantages Barcelona members receive include...
-- up to 20% discount on tickets for most matches.
-- 5-10% off merchendise from FCBotiga, the club's store.
-- free stadium and museum tours.
-- free access to open training sessions held at the Mini-Estadi.
and many other perks."

The value of the club has risen from around £120M to around £1.5bn(?) - even if he has put in a bit upfront t for the training ground or stadium that is a great return.
Oh Jesus.... THIS is the future football, isn't it?

Gawd help us!

It is but he hasn't put anything in though, which is what I don't get from the author. He has guaranteed a few loans regarding the New Stadium I think(??) but I've forgotten whether these were personal or corporate-backed. He hasn't taken anything out so at some point you would think he has to sell, especially at being +80yrs. But then I don't know the mind of a billionaire, what do you achieve cashing in on an asset at the age of 81 when you already have all the material means at your disposal. I would guess that his motives would probably lie in leaving his estate for his kids, both of which are key employees at Tavistock. I wonder if they are Yids? Haha..

Cant wait for all the West Ham style "next level" hysteria if that happens.
You here a lot of our fans slagging off ENIC, but I think they'd shit their pants if this is true...

Bnbfm-LCMAE4hVU.jpg

Careful what you wish for....

:roseunsure:

It is but he hasn't put anything in though, which is what I don't get from the author. He has guaranteed a few loans regarding the New Stadium I think(??) but I've forgotten whether these were personal or corporate-backed. He hasn't taken anything out so at some point you would think he has to sell, especially at being +80yrs. But then I don't know the mind of a billionaire, what do you achieve cashing in on an asset at the age of 81 when you already have all the material means at your disposal. I would guess that his motives would probably lie in leaving his estate for his kids, both of which are key employees at Tavistock. I wonder if they are Yids? Haha..
My, admittedly entirely speculative (given I know no one with "generational wealth"), hypothesis is that for most billionaires of Lewis' profile - people who built their own fortune - the financial game has ceased to be about actual money. It's all about "winning", beating the market, adding zeroes, and the thrill of securing a big deal above or below what one considers market value.

As you say, Lewis clearly has more wealth than he or his heirs could ever need. I don't think there's any motive for him to "cash out" unless he thinks football has peaked and wants to liquidate his interest in Spurs for another big venture. The other angle being if he realizes time is getting short, actually cares for the club, and fears his kids might fuck it up - but I find it doubtful.

The most likely scenario is it's all just bullshit and Lewis has zero intention of selling up. He's a billionaire, which means he'll live to be 150 and watch all us plebs die in our dirty poverty.

My, admittedly entirely speculative (given I know no one with "generational wealth"), hypothesis is that for most billionaires of Lewis' profile - people who built their own fortune - the financial game has ceased to be about actual money. It's all about "winning", beating the market, adding zeroes, and the thrill of securing a big deal above or below what one considers market value.

As you say, Lewis clearly has more wealth than he or his heirs could ever need. I don't think there's any motive for him to "cash out" unless he thinks football has peaked and wants to liquidate his interest in Spurs for another big venture. The other angle being if he realizes time is getting short, actually cares for the club, and fears his kids might fuck it up - but I find it doubtful.

The most likely scenario is it's all just bullshit and Lewis has zero intention of selling up. He's a billionaire, which means he'll live to be 150 and watch all us plebs die in our dirty poverty.
I think we are safe in the knowledge that he doesn't care for the club, his money yeah, so they are linked by that interest.

What do you mean? Fan ownership (mind that I was talking about partial ownership) doesn’t mean totti doing the scouting.
It’s like every corporation that elects a board to run affairs, board members don’t have to be former Paxton STHs, and in large numbers of voters will have to show class if they want shareholders voting for them.
It’s essentially similar to a very large family company. What you’re describing is some Athens direct democracy in the club. That’s not even possible.

My proposal is simple: some high % of shares dedicated to supporters who in turn elect some board members. It will: A) assure the main shareholder really has the best interest of the club (in particular long term) before them. B) increase transparency C) increase accountability D) prevent risky ventures (imagine supporters blocking our OS bid when it first came up) or blocking unwanted M&E from abroad

It works well in the Bundesliga, I see no reason why it can’t work in England

I think we are safe in the knowledge that he doesn't care for the club, his money yeah, so they are linked by that interest.
I dunno, I'm not gonna say he doesn't care for the club. Just because he won't pour in his own money doesn't mean he doesn't care....it just means he isn't a Spurs mad zealot. The only people burning cash in football are dirty petrol nations and Russian mob launderers.

Back
Top Bottom