Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We had a good half season after going out of all the cups. Conte had a great feel good factor going, Kane & Son were on fire, the new signings took teams by surprise a bit & we were very clinical and exceeded all expected metrics.

We regressed to the norm the next season. What came before that half season & what has come after shows where we’re realistically at with this team. Newcastle just had a really good season, but is their squad really top 4 quality or did they ride a wave & rely on others dropping off? Time will tell.

Like all our really good patches (incl. under Jose) we relied on Kane/Son putting everything away. It isn’t sustainable, especially now with Son clearly waning & Kane in his final year and wanting to leave the club. The spine of what is left just isn’t all that impressive.
Yeah I think last summer it was a good debate. But last season proved where we truly are as a team & ended that debate. We over performed & benefitted from Woolwich imploding & United throwing it away too.
Son & Kane hid a lot of our flaws so if 1 goes & the other is past his best then we are in a bit of strife!
Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if Newcastle are worse next season. They benefited from others dropping off. Even United tried to throw away 4th again with their form but fortunately the teams below them under performed too. That’s why it’s so hard to predict based on the competition.
& Woolwich could perform better but end up in a worse position.

My post was in response to the idea that the only reason we finished 4ths in 21/22 was because Woolwich bottled it.

Im simply saying we played a part in our getting 4th and it wasn't solely down to Arsenals poor form.

Scott isn't even acknowledging that our great form put the pressure on Woolwich and probably added to bottling.

I just feel that a number of Spurs fans will do a lot of mental gymnastics to not give us credit where we deserve it. I just do not get it.

We played well for that half season. Deserved it over Woolwich. They bottled it but we put extreme pressure on and put together a very good run of games.

But that run has lots of context behind it. And I wouldn’t say it was an accurate reflection of the team we have.

Credit is deserved for that 6 months or so .. credit for Conte (who everyone hailed as a messiah for it) AND for the players who performed very well for a while..

My post was in response to the idea that the only reason we finished 4ths in 21/22 was because Woolwich bottled it.

Im simply saying we played a part in our getting 4th and it wasn't solely down to Arsenals poor form.

Scott isn't even acknowledging that our great form put the pressure on Woolwich and probably added to bottling.

I just feel that a number of Spurs fans will do a lot of mental gymnastics to not give us credit where we deserve it. I just do not get it.
No of course. Happy to say we finished really strongly & that pressure lead to Woolwich bottling it. Same way with city last season.
Happy to say top 4 is our trophy 🎉 .
But is just different ways of viewing things. Same way Some want to win things & get new owners in to do this.
Others want to keep us trophy-less & give pay rises to our chairman for his poor performance. I don’t get that at all. You seem to.
Why would you want to keep being losers Under this chairman/owner & tell others we should be grateful & he deserves a pay rise.
Bizarre but logical to you.

Yeah I think last summer it was a good debate. But last season proved where we truly are as a team & ended that debate. We over performed & benefitted from Woolwich imploding & United throwing it away too.
Son & Kane hid a lot of our flaws so if 1 goes & the other is past his best then we are in a bit of strife!
Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if Newcastle are worse next season. They benefited from others dropping off. Even United tried to throw away 4th again with their form but fortunately the teams below them under performed too. That’s why it’s so hard to predict based on the competition.
& Woolwich could perform better but end up in a worse position.

Woolwich over-performed on metrics last season significantly .. got more points than they deserved. I’d expect drop off with the Champions League, but Rice is a wonderful signing .. Havertz is a weird wildcard.

Newcastle will definitely drop off with Europe, just a case of how much. On the flip side I expect Chelsea & Liverpool to be much better.

Woolwich over-performed on metrics last season significantly .. got more points than they deserved. I’d expect drop off with the Champions League, but Rice is a wonderful signing .. Havertz is a weird wildcard.

Newcastle will definitely drop off with Europe, just a case of how much. On the flip side I expect Chelsea & Liverpool to be much better.
Yeah I think Woolwich will be solid top 3 & maybe a cup. I like rice if not overpriced but Havertz was an expensive odd one & I don’t think a priority position for them. Yeah Newcastle will do well to get 5th with CL taking effect. I think Liverpool will be much better as they finished strong & made some good signings. Chelsea still a big mess for me, no matter who’s in charge. United I thought would be buying better this summer. Mounts decent but they need more. I Expected them to go all out for Kane. & they are stick with a lot of unwanted players on big wages.

No of course. Happy to say we finished really strongly & that pressure lead to Woolwich bottling it. Same way with city last season.
Happy to say top 4 is our trophy 🎉 .
But is just different ways of viewing things. Same way Some want to win things & get new owners in to do this.
Others want to keep us trophy-less & give pay rises to our chairman for his poor performance. I don’t get that at all. You seem to.
Why would you want to keep being losers Under this chairman/owner & tell others we should be grateful & he deserves a pay rise.
Bizarre but logical to you.

Please point me to where I have ever said any of that!

I don't particularly follow Serie A so no. What I did do once his name was linked to us was do a fair bit of reading about him - there were plenty of posts which pulled up stats about him, or showed past players / coaches / football pundits etc raving about him.

It's always a risk of course that it won't work out - but that applies to any signing :)

Based solely on what I've read I think it's a cracking bit of business. Time will tell I suppose!
More of a risk than Reya. No surprise Reya was more expensive! But but but, his upside could be higher so maybe a risk worth taking

More of a risk than Reya. No surprise Reya was more expensive! But but but, his upside could be higher so maybe a risk worth taking

I agree more of a risk but that's only due to one factor - Reya's premier league experience.

But it does sound like a very high upside to this guy, so I do think it's worth the risk.

The problem could be that Kane will not be suited to Ange’s style of fast, fast football. With Maddison the creator will Kane be asked to stay forward a lot more but will he be able to? Kane is not the fastest as well.
Kanes goals saved us last year but neither Son nor Dejan produced any good form. We had something like about 40 goals from our front 3 and many goals against. What if we did lose Kane and got in say Vlahovic. He could only get 20 but Son got 20 and Dejan got 12 that’s already an improvement. Then our defence improves and we ship far fewer goals, that’s an improvement and it’s all without Kane.
You made me think about Maddison, Kane & Kulu In attack. Walking football champions!

What a fantastic post.

Harry Kane loves the club. He's one of our own.
Nothing would please him more than breaking the PL goal scoring record and winning major trophies with SPURS

It's up to us. If we use our financial clout and sign the kind of players worthy to play alongside him and he saw some real ambition I have no doubt whatsoever he'd stay.
It’s a no brainer we should have built a team around him & achieved real success. But levy/enic had other ideas so instead he wants to go. So might be for the best all round, as nothing to suggest they want/will do/capable of winning things. Obviously I’d rather tie him down but he wants to win things which goes against everything enic/levy stand for.

Yeah that’s fair enough. But I think you have falling down the trap of’ it’s the coach not the players’ & will be wanting this guy sacked & the whole cycle continues. Many have done this for about 5 seasons now.
I think Kane has had enough of playing for losers & unambitious owners. & with Bayern set for a bid of 80m & add ons, I think it feels the right time to cash in. Although we are awful at spending so wouldn’t be surprised if it’s wasted.
Obviously I’d have rather owners who supported & built around this once in a generation player. But that’s not them.
As I said, expectations are very different for the season with or without Kane. However, our squad is more than competent enough to finish higher than 8th without Kane, so that's my cutoff. That low and Postie has failed and needs to go.

Not really fussed with how Kane "feels". He wants to go, fine, the door is over there. I support Spurs, not the Harry Kane Team.

You can't build around a player that won't sign a contract.

As I said, expectations are very different for the season with or without Kane. However, our squad is more than competent enough to finish higher than 8th without Kane, so that's my cutoff. That low and Postie has failed and needs to go.

Not really fussed with how Kane "feels". He wants to go, fine, the door is over there. I support Spurs, not the Harry Kane Team.

You can't build around a player that won't sign a contract.
Yeah . I disagree with the 4th with Kane & 5th without. But we shall see how we do.
Well Kane made it clear he wants to go but levy didn’t allow it . So Levy likes to keep star players who won’t sign. Modric is another one. He has a Very different approach to how to deal with players wanting to leave than you do.
I’d say 80m & join Bayern or sign a new deal. Going for free is worse case scenario.

Surely it's Levy that needs to go... Surely, for God's sake
What's this now. His manager number 15 or 16?.... I'm losing count.
What's a reasonable number of managers for him to work through before the penny finally drops that HE is the problem ....20? 30? 50?

If we finish 10th, fire Postie and Levy stays then seriously, What's the bloody point?

Yeah . I disagree with the 4th with Kane & 5th without. But we shall see how we do.
Well Kane made it clear he wants to go but levy didn’t allow it . So Levy likes to keep star players who won’t sign. Modric is another one. He has a Very different approach to how to deal with players wanting to leave than you do.
I’d say 80m & join Bayern or sign a new deal. Going for free is worse case scenario.
The reason I say 4th with Kane is that's the only reason to keep him, if he doesn't renew his contract. The only positive that we can get from it is CL qualification, so if he stays 4th has to be the expectation.

Levy ran the string out on Modric, little rat faced shit that he is, to prevent him from going to Chelsea which he was on strike to try and force. But he still had 2 years left on his contract at the time we refused to sell to Chelsea.

Not selling Kane to Bayern now would be more comparable to not selling Modric to Madrid the next summer. If we keep hold of him, it's a season of cutting off our nose to spite our face and risk him signing for a rival club next summer on a free.

Better to sell him to Europe while we can for whatever we can.

The reason I say 4th with Kane is that's the only reason to keep him, if he doesn't renew his contract. The only positive that we can get from it is CL qualification, so if he stays 4th has to be the expectation.

Levy ran the string out on Modric, little rat faced shit that he is, to prevent him from going to Chelsea which he was on strike to try and force. But he still had 2 years left on his contract at the time we refused to sell to Chelsea.

Not selling Kane to Bayern now would be more comparable to not selling Modric to Madrid the next summer. If we keep hold of him, it's a season of cutting off our nose to spite our face and risk him signing for a rival club next summer on a free.

Spurs should never ever sell their best players to other English clubs.

Surely it's Levy that needs to go... Surely, for God's sake
What's this now. His manager number 15 or 16?.... I'm losing count.
What's a reasonable number of managers for him to work through before the penny finally drops that HE is the problem ....20? 30? 50?

If we finish 10th, fire Postie and Levy stays then seriously, What's the bloody point?
What the fuck Joan, me and John were just getting on. Tramp.

I'm a realist - whether or not Levy is the problem, Levy isn't going anywhere. So we have to find a manager/DoF/squad solution to win a trophy with Levy, or I'm just gonna pack it in and stop wasting time, money, and energy on Spurs.

I admire your commitment to your disdain of Levy. But you're shouting at the sea, mate.

I thought it was 5th for CL this year. Everyone still keeps saying top 4 so maybe I am wrong. I know it’s only 1 position but it feels like a big difference in my mind. 5th seems achievable but 4th seems like a very big ask. Basically 2 positions after city & Woolwich.

True. If Kane scores 30 & we qualify for CL & he leaves on a nice high for everyone, then that’s not too bad. More likely to extend too.
I revise my worst case scenario. It’s him staying & us still not making CL. Then he joins United for free. I feel he is destined for United for some reason. In that case we may as well have sold him this summer to Bayern.

Okay so it’s more about the buisness side of losing a player on a free. As when you said “You can't build around a player that won't sign a contract” I took it more about you thinking we should get rid of star players wanting to go. When we clearly didn’t with Modric & kane. A sort of ‘get rid of all unhappy/uncommitted players no matter what’.

What the fuck Joan, me and John were just getting on. Tramp.

I'm a realist - whether or not Levy is the problem, Levy isn't going anywhere. So we have to find a manager/DoF/squad solution to win a trophy with Levy, or I'm just gonna pack it in and stop wasting time, money, and energy on Spurs.

I admire your commitment to your disdain of Levy. But you're shouting at the sea, mate.
Hence no more big name, big shot managers. They will never work well with levy.

Back
Top Bottom