Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know nothing about the new manager so can’t really give an opinion on him. I’ve not really read up on his style of play or anything, so it will be a complete surprise to me. Hopefully a good one.

Yes, I expect us to be better than last season. We really underperformed so it can’t be as bad! Rich, biss & son should be better. Porro all season is an upgrade too. Conte was a bad choice from levy for the sort of players we got so they might feel happier with the new guy.
But with what we have I don’t think 6th is that bad so I get some will think the new manager has done a bad job. But I just see it the other way when you consider what he has to work with. Especially that defence!
I am not saying we are awful. More like a 5th-8th type team. With the occasional CL qualification trophy every few years.

Sorry, when I meant we need a lot more. I was more talking about winning stuff & challenging for things. We are miles away. We can over perform & others under perform & get 4th or 5th next season with what we have. Same way I think we over achieved when we got 4th with conte & Woolwich under performed.
Last season Woolwich over performed where as us, Liverpool & Chelsea underperformed.
That’s why it’s hard to predict top 5 next season. Who knows how the teams around us will be.
So I go more off expectations. Do you expect this manager to get top 5 with the current players? Not for me.
But equally others might think we should do & then get rid of the new guy if we don’t. Very harsh in my eyes!

Ps. Kane staying/going will be 2 positions difference at least in my view.
Without Kane, I'd say I expect 5th with better football. Less than that will be a disappointment. More will be an overachievement. 8th or worse and the Postie experiment was a failure and he should be sacked.

With Kane anything less than 4th is failure. If he isn't signed to an extension, which looks unlikely, then the only reason to keep him is to secure the CL money.

The former is my preferred scenario. It's time for a new era.

I think the superb management skills of Antonio Conte, along with the Woolwich implosion, are the main reasons we made it into the Champions league.
We then failed to back him, didn't capitalise on our good fortune, and the rest, of course, is history.
Tired Charles Barkley GIF by NBA on TNT

Without Kane, I'd say I expect 5th with better football. Less than that will be a disappointment. More will be an overachievement. 8th or worse and the Postie experiment was a failure and he should be sacked.

With Kane anything less than 4th is failure. If he isn't signed to an extension, which looks unlikely, then the only reason to keep him is to secure the CL money.

The problem could be that Kane will not be suited to Ange’s style of fast, fast football. With Maddison the creator will Kane be asked to stay forward a lot more but will he be able to? Kane is not the fastest as well.
Kanes goals saved us last year but neither Son nor Dejan produced any good form. We had something like about 40 goals from our front 3 and many goals against. What if we did lose Kane and got in say Vlahovic. He could only get 20 but Son got 20 and Dejan got 12 that’s already an improvement. Then our defence improves and we ship far fewer goals, that’s an improvement and it’s all without Kane.

The problem could be that Kane will not be suited to Ange’s style of fast, fast football. With Maddison the creator will Kane be asked to stay forward a lot more but will he be able to? Kane is not the fastest as well.
Kanes goals saved us last year but neither Son nor Dejan produced any good form. We had something like about 40 goals from our front 3 and many goals against. What if we did lose Kane and got in say Vlahovic. He could only get 20 but Son got 20 and Dejan got 12 that’s already an improvement. Then our defence improves and we ship far fewer goals, that’s an improvement and it’s all without Kane.
We could definitely sell Kane and get top 4, but I'm not optimistic that we'd manage it this season. I certainly wouldn't put it down as an expectation.

We could definitely sell Kane and get top 4, but I'm not optimistic that we'd manage it this season. I certainly wouldn't put it down as an expectation.
It's more about the message it sends if we sell him....
Selling your best, most consistent player (by a country mile) doesn't exactly send shockwaves through football.... regardless of you you try to replace him with!

SIGNING Kane sends shockwaves through football!!

Tie him down for 3 years, add some quality to back it up, and we'll be back in the CL in no time (ish)!

Selling your best, most consistent player (by a country mile) doesn't exactly send shockwaves through football.... regardless of you you try to replace him with!

Tie him down for 3 years, add some quality to back it up, and we'll be back in the CL in no time (ish)!
I don't think anyone has any doubts that the club's preference would be to renew Kane's contract. Anyone thinking different is trying to make up a fantasy to fit their anti-Levy feelings.

If we could resign him, obviously we should. But I think it's clear that we can't, or we would have before now. At which point, it's better to get something for him now.

I think the superb management skills of Antonio Conte, along with the Woolwich implosion, are the main reasons we made it into the Champions league.
We then failed to back him, didn't capitalise on our good fortune, and the rest, of course, is history.

So the players had nothing to do with it?

The message is he played a shed load of games for Spurs, scored hundreds of goals and won a few Golden boots.

And now he wants something more than personal glory.

The other “message” was always that we build the stadium and then we compete with the big boys.

Well coming up to half a decade since the first game there and we will look further away from the top teams than when we were playing at WHL and Wembley.

I swear he must just look around sometimes and wonder where did it all go wrong? Should never have signed a six year deal.

Last 4 seasons. Conte, Mourinho, 1 x scraped top 4 finish and 1 x league cup final.

Poch history says he did not try in the domestic cups. But 4 out of his 5 seasons we reached a domestic semi final or final. CL final. Top 4 finishes.

Since then always knocked out in the 5th round of the FA Cup.
Europe has been a shitshow.

We have regressed massively.
Now we go back into another transitional season with new players and manager. Does Kane sign up for that? What message does that send about his own ambitions.

Amazing that people are expecting Ange to win a trophy straight off the bat. The man needs some time. And Luck.

They didn’t ‘cheap out’ on the goalie. He’s very highly rated.

Do your research then apologise.

Here’s your shoes

polka dot clown GIF by Good Old War
I suppose time will tell, had you even heard of him before we signed him ?
That's not a dig it's a genuine question, if so I would love hear about your thoughts on him.
I had never heard of him, but definitely open to listening to someone who has an idea about him.

I suppose time will tell, had you even heard of him before we signed him ?
That's not a dig it's a genuine question, if so I would love hear about your thoughts on him.
I had never heard of him, but definitely open to listening to someone who has an idea about him.

I don't particularly follow Serie A so no. What I did do once his name was linked to us was do a fair bit of reading about him - there were plenty of posts which pulled up stats about him, or showed past players / coaches / football pundits etc raving about him.

It's always a risk of course that it won't work out - but that applies to any signing :)

Based solely on what I've read I think it's a cracking bit of business. Time will tell I suppose!

I think last season goes along way to proving 4th was more about Woolwich bottling 4th. & as always with enic/levy we don’t capitalise on it & instead think we are much better than we are. Which then bites us in the end & we have to play along & act shocked that those defenders leaked too many goals again & we failed :kulushock:

I think last season goes along way to proving 4th was more about Woolwich bottling 4th. & as always with enic/levy we don’t capitalise on it & instead think we are much better than we are. Which then bites us in the end & we have to play along & act shocked that those defenders leaked too many goals again & we failed :kulushock:

We lost 1 and drew 2 of our last 11 games in 2021/22.

Had our form not been so good, we would have not come top 4 - dropped 3 more points in that run and we would have been 5th.

Why are people so desperate to rewrite history?

Yeah that’s fair enough. But I think you have falling down the trap of’ it’s the coach not the players’ & will be wanting this guy sacked & the whole cycle continues. Many have done this for about 5 seasons now.
I think Kane has had enough of playing for losers & unambitious owners. & with Bayern set for a bid of 80m & add ons, I think it feels the right time to cash in. Although we are awful at spending so wouldn’t be surprised if it’s wasted.
Obviously I’d have rather owners who supported & built around this once in a generation player. But that’s not them.

We lost 1 and drew 2 of our last 11 games in 2021/22.

Had our form not been so good, we would have not come top 4 - dropped 3 more points in that run and we would have been 5th.

Why are people so desperate to rewrite history?
They lost to teams they should have been beating & so did we & united. All 3 kept chucking 4th away . It was like no one wanted it. Yes we finished strongly but you are ignoring some poor results previously.
I am not desperate to rewrite history. I don’t mind if you think we were amazing that season & over came a really good performing Woolwich team. It was a close fought battle with 2 really good teams. I just disagree.
Same with if Woolwich had got 4th I’d put it more down to us & United blowing it. If they won the title I’d have put it more down to city having an off season as they timed it perfect.
I get you don’t think Woolwich bottled the title & city were just so strong at the end. I still think they bottled it. Just different opinions.
I think you over rate us massively hence you saying all 4 new signings are great. Kane Is great in my eyes. You seem to throw that word around to Anyone willing to sign a contract with us.

Last edited:

What a fantastic post.

Harry Kane loves the club. He's one of our own.
Nothing would please him more than breaking the PL goal scoring record and winning major trophies with SPURS

It's up to us. If we use our financial clout and sign the kind of players worthy to play alongside him and he saw some real ambition I have no doubt whatsoever he'd stay.

They lost to teams they should have been beating & so did we & united. All 3 kept chucking 4th away . It was like no one wanted it. Yes we finished strongly but you are ignoring some poor results previously.
I am not desperate to rewrite history. I don’t mind if you think we were amazing that season & over came a really good performing Woolwich team. It was a close fought battle with 2 really good teams. I just disagree.
Same with if Woolwich had got 4th I’d put it more down to us & United blowing it. If they won the title I’d have put it more down to city having an off season as they timed it perfect.
I get you don’t think Woolwich bottled the title & city we’re just so strong at the end. I still think they bottled it. Just different opinions.
I think you over rate us massively hence you saying all 4 new signings are great. Kane Is great in my eyes. You seem to throw that word around to Anyone willing to sign a contract with us.

I just think it is weird to look at football the way you do.

We took 37 out of the remaining 48 points that season including beating City, Woolwich and drawing with Liverpool. That form over the course of the whole season would amount to (if my math is correct) 87 points.

That is fantastic form and has nothing to do with any other team than ours.

We took 37 out of the remaining 48 points that season including beating City, Woolwich and drawing with Liverpool. That form over the course of the whole season would amount to (if my math is correct) 87 points.

That’s an odd way to do it. Take your best form rather than the whole season. But that’s up to you. I just think the whole season form makes more sense than to cherry pick just your best run you went on & then to say if you did that all season we would be great. You could equally pick our worse form & say we would have been relegated. Both are silly in my view..

Also, it’s an endless no right or wrong about the bottling label. I think Woolwich bottled top 4 & then the title. You don’t. You think they fought very well but we & then city finished very strongly & pipped them.

Last edited:

We had a good half season after going out of all the cups. Conte had a great feel good factor going, Kane & Son were on fire, the new signings took teams by surprise a bit & we were very clinical and exceeded all expected metrics.

We regressed to the norm the next season. What came before that half season & what has come after shows where we’re realistically at with this team. Newcastle just had a really good season, but is their squad really top 4 quality or did they ride a wave & rely on others dropping off? Time will tell.

Like all our really good patches (incl. under Jose) we relied on Kane/Son putting everything away. It isn’t sustainable, especially now with Son clearly waning & Kane in his final year and wanting to leave the club. The spine of what is left just isn’t all that impressive.

That’s an odd way to do it. Take your best form rather than the whole season. But that’s up to you. I just think the whole season form makes more sense than to cherry pick just your best run you went on & then to say if you did that all season we would be great. You could equally pick our worse form & say we would have been relegated. Both are silly in my view.
We had a good half season after going out of all the cups. Conte had a great feel good factor going, Kane & Son were on fire, the new signings took teams by surprise a bit & we were very clinical and exceeded all expected metrics.

We regressed to the norm the next season. What came before that half season & what has come after shows where we’re realistically at with this team. Newcastle just had a really good season, but is their squad really top 4 quality or did they ride a wave & rely on others dropping off? Time will tell.

Like all our really good patches (incl. under Jose) we relied on Kane/Son putting everything away. It isn’t sustainable, especially now with Son clearly waning & Kane in his final year and wanting to leave the club. The spine of what is left just isn’t all that impressive.

My post was in response to the idea that the only reason we finished 4ths in 21/22 was because Woolwich bottled it.

Im simply saying we played a part in our getting 4th and it wasn't solely down to Arsenals poor form.

Scott isn't even acknowledging that our great form put the pressure on Woolwich and probably added to bottling.

I just feel that a number of Spurs fans will do a lot of mental gymnastics to not give us credit where we deserve it. I just do not get it.

Back
Top Bottom