Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hope you're excited about us standing still for a few windows then.
2018 on repeat.
But then you're a Levy fan so you would be happy with that.
Hopefully touch wood as useless as Levy is he has learned his lesson on that one, but that was the height of our arrogance. We finished 3rd and though it was ok to stand still. The problem I have is the next summer and the following season did much more damage to us than 2018. Signing Ndombele 63 Premier League Games, Los Celso 59 Premier League Games, Ryan Sessegnon 33 Premier League Games and Jack Clarke 0 Premier League Games. Hojberg who signed a year latter has 112 premier league games for us.

The problem with Levy is the corner cutting and it is never going to change. Hopefully when Munn starts and being involved with so many successful organisations negates some of that.

Hopefully touch wood as useless as Levy is he has learned his lesson on that one, but that was the height of our arrogance. We finished 3rd and though it was ok to stand still. The problem I have is the next summer and the following season did much more damage to us than 2018. Signing Ndombele 63 Premier League Games, Los Celso 59 Premier League Games, Ryan Sessegnon 33 Premier League Games and Jack Clarke 0 Premier League Games. Hojberg who signed a year latter has 112 premier league games for us.

The problem with Levy is the corner cutting and it is never going to change. Hopefully when Munn starts and being involved with so many successful organisations negates some of that.
2019 was such a disaster precisely because of 2018. It was obvious by 2018 that the squad needed refreshing and the cycle was nearly over (finished with less points than 2017). To do nothing put us behind the curve immediately, and the lack of forward planning (especially in replacing Eriksen and Dembele) killed us. It's not hindsight when I say that we should have bought Kovacic and Maddison that summer.

We chased our tails for 3 years until Paratici came in but his signings needed time to marinate.

2019 was such a disaster precisely because of 2018. It was obvious by 2018 that the squad needed refreshing and the cycle was nearly over (finished with less points than 2017). To do nothing put us behind the curve immediately, and the lack of forward planning (especially in replacing Eriksen and Dembele) killed us. It's not hindsight when I say that we should have bought Kovacic and Maddison that summer.

We chased our tails for 3 years until Paratici came in but his signings needed time to marinate.
Yes 2018 was a disaster but missteps over recent years have hurt us just as much.

Ndombele - Probably not making the squad
Lo Celso - Sub Bench
Sessegnon - Perpetually injured
Clarke - No Longer Here
Bergwijn - No Longer Here

Reguilón - Out on loan this season and last
Doherty - Released
Højbjerg - Bench Player
Rodon - Out on loan this season and last

That is 4 windows where no players are now starting for us so in total we have had 6 Dead Windows apart from maybe the signing of Hojbjerg. The fact is the three year mismanagement of the club and even the appointment of Nuno and Conte are all mistakes that have taken us out of the Big 6 Bracket and made us one of the rest.

Yes 2018 was a disaster but missteps over recent years have hurt us just as much.

Lo Celso - Sub Bench
Clarke - No Longer Here

Doherty - Released
Højbjerg - Bench Player

That is 4 windows where no players are now starting for us so in total we have had 6 Dead Windows apart from maybe the signing of Hojbjerg. The fact is the three year mismanagement of the club and even the appointment of Nuno and Conte are all mistakes that have taken us out of the Big 6 Bracket and made us one of the rest.
Agreed apart from Conte. He arrested the slide in the short term and whilst he inevitably blew up he actually bought us a year of time, by getting us in the CL again and keeping Kane an extra year, whilst Paratici could stockpile young talent for us. I don't see Conte's reign as a negative.

By accident we now have Bissouma & Porro, whilst the likes of Sarr, Udogie and hopefully Bryan can mature.

The end of Poch/the Mourinho era did the real damage to me.

Lo Celso - Sub Bench
Clarke - No Longer Here

Doherty - Released
Højbjerg - Bench Player

It's actually hard to say what's worse - not buying anyone or buying all of those.

It's actually hard to say what's worse - not buying anyone or buying all of those.
Let's just split the difference and agree it was 3 years without a plan trying to keep an ageing squad on life support where we allowed players like Sissoko to become leaders in the dressing room. Levy ignored all the signs and the advice he was being given and would not follow the correct path. Look at the Bale loan that should of been amazing in front of a full stadium but it was during Covid so by the time we got back into the stadium in a limited capacity we all just wanted the season to end.

Let's just split the difference and agree it was 3 years without a plan trying to keep an ageing squad on life support where we allowed players like Sissoko to become leaders in the dressing room. Levy ignored all the signs and the advice he was being given and would not follow the correct path. Look at the Bale loan that should of been amazing in front of a full stadium but it was during Covid so by the time we got back into the stadium in a limited capacity we all just wanted the season to end.
Such a killer having Bale and no supporters to watch him, oh and also Mourinho being a cuntflap and not playing him for a decent amount of his time with us

Okay how about

"We've got our Tottenham back, Levy you're still a cunt"

Proud Of You Yes GIF

My view is Berwijn was he never stepped up then he backed out of the fight completely, still more useful than Gil.
Can't say I agree, have a weird soft spot for Gilet. Just think he came to us too early and just needs another season of experience before he comes good. One of the major things he needs to do which should be essential for all players is to bulk up

Longer than 3 years really. When Mitchell went and we started signing athletic donkies instead of players and then stared to promote such donkies from backup to main men. Sanchez, Dier, Sissoko, Hoijberg (to some degree) - We definitely went through a phase of prioritising size and power over ball control and intelligence.

Never understood the massive split in support for Bergwijn, he was utter pony 90% of the time.

It was somewhat criminal not to use Bale more. Bale Son and Kane week in week out could well have been the best time we had as Spurs fans. I can never understand the logic of Mourinho not using him when he is a perfect Mourinho player - someone who can win a game on his own without any coaching.

Longer than 3 years really. When Mitchell went and we started signing athletic donkies instead of players and then stared to promote such donkies from backup to main men. Sanchez, Dier, Sissoko, Hoijberg (to some degree) - We definitely went through a phase of prioritising size and power over ball control and intelligence.

It was somewhat criminal not to use Bale more. Bale Son and Kane week in week out could well have been the best time we had as Spurs fans. I can never understand the logic of Mourinho not using him when he is a perfect Mourinho player - someone who can win a game on his own without any coaching.
Couldn't agree more, utterly nonsensical decision making by Mourinho, apart from the obvious performance related shitshow, it must of been a fairly big part of the reason he got the chop.

That trio on form though....is what dreams are made of. To not properly take advantage of having those three up front together is a complete and utter clusterfuck of a decision from Mourinho. Every single manager in the game would give their left nut for a front two, let alone a front three of that level of quality.

Mourinho was playing 6 at the back and Bergwijn as another fullback.

Ok I was being generous. That was all part of not relying on a proper scouting network. I am praying that when Scott Munn is allowed to start and we have signed a new DOF Levy is no where near Footballing Decisions.

I have a slight suspicion thought that a new DOF was not appointed because Levy wanted one last negotiation with the Kane deal and no-one wanted to be responsible for selling Kane and rebuilding a new team.

People were discussing here a few days ago how the new stadium affected our transfer business, they mostly focused on the profile of the transfers (which I think is missing the point a little bit, the stadium is about increasing our ability to spend in the market, it's not really supposed to attact higher profile signings by its own), so I decided to compare the pre-stadium spending of Spurs under ENIC (net spend from 01/02 to 18/19) with the post-stadium spending of Spurs under ENIC (19/20 to 23/24).
I'll compare it with the rest of the top six minus Chelsea (simply because they've been a massive outlier under Boehly, stretching FFP with their amortisation shenaingans).
In addition I'll be comparing Tottenham's net spend with United's specifically, because while some teams have gone up and down in spending, United have always been the Northern star of extravagent transfer windows.
All the numbers are from transfermarkt and are in Euros.

01/02 to 18/19, or the pre-stadium period:
Average net spend of United, Woolwich, Liverpool, City from 01/02 to 18/19: 782.53m
Net spend of United from 01/02 to 18/19: 940.48m
Net spend of Spurs from 01/02 to 18/19: 266.75m

19/20 to 23/24, or the post-stadium period:
Average net spend of United, Woolwich, Liverpool, City from 19/20 to 23/24: 492.95m
Net spend of United from 19/20 to 23/24: 701.81m
Net spend of Spurs from 19/20 to 23/24: 510.03m

We went from spending 34.1% of what the rest of the big six (minus Chelsea) spent on average from 01/02 to 18/19, to spending 103% of the average of the rest of the big six minus Chelsea from 19/20 to 23/24.

We went from spending 28.36% of what United spent to 72.67% of United’s spending.

Granted, this is only a piece of the puzzle, when you don't consider wages or clubs bolstering their finances through the sale of academy talents, and you have to consider that while the stadium bolstered our spending, the building of the stadium obviously constrained us. Overall though, I do think there's an obvious closing of the gap from the financial elite of England (and the world), though the gap between us and the true monsters like United will likely always be there.

People were discussing here a few days ago how the new stadium affected our transfer business, they mostly focused on the profile of the transfers (which I think is missing the point a little bit, the stadium is about increasing our ability to spend in the market, it's not really supposed to attact higher profile signings by its own), so I decided to compare the pre-stadium spending of Spurs under ENIC (net spend from 01/02 to 18/19) with the post-stadium spending of Spurs under ENIC (19/20 to 23/24).
I'll compare it with the rest of the top six minus Chelsea (simply because they've been a massive outlier under Boehly, stretching FFP with their amortisation shenaingans).
In addition I'll be comparing Tottenham's net spend with United's specifically, because while some teams have gone up and down in spending, United have always been the Northern star of extravagent transfer windows.
All the numbers are from transfermarkt and are in Euros.

01/02 to 18/19, or the pre-stadium period:
Average net spend of United, Woolwich, Liverpool, City from 01/02 to 18/19: 782.53m
Net spend of United from 01/02 to 18/19: 940.48m
Net spend of Spurs from 01/02 to 18/19: 266.75m

19/20 to 23/24, or the post-stadium period:
Average net spend of United, Woolwich, Liverpool, City from 19/20 to 23/24: 492.95m
Net spend of United from 19/20 to 23/24: 701.81m
Net spend of Spurs from 19/20 to 23/24: 510.03m

We went from spending 34.1% of what the rest of the big six (minus Chelsea) spent on average from 01/02 to 18/19, to spending 103% of the average of the rest of the big six minus Chelsea from 19/20 to 23/24.

We went from spending 28.36% of what United spent to 72.67% of United’s spending.

Granted, this is only a piece of the puzzle, when you don't consider wages or clubs bolstering their finances through the sale of academy talents, and you have to consider that while the stadium bolstered our spending, the building of the stadium obviously constrained us. Overall though, I do think there's an obvious closing of the gap from the financial elite of England (and the world), though the gap between us and the true monsters like United will likely always be there.

Thank you for this informative post mate.

Annual Payroll - 2016/2017 - £71,261,400
Annual Payroll - 2017/2018 - £80,417,800
Annual Payroll - 2018/2019 - £90,525,000
Annual Payroll - 2019/2020 - £106,380,000
Annual Payroll - 2020/2021 - £135,786,000
Annual Payroll - 2021/2022 - £110,416,000
Annual Payroll - 2022/2023 - £117,000,000
Annual Payroll - 2023/2024 - £110,656,000 - for some reason Maddison, Solomon, Johnson, VDV, Udogie and Veliz are not included so I would assume that number will rise, lets be fair, by the average salary overall of 3.5 million per player @ 6 players is 21,000,000 so roughly 130,000,000.

In that time Woolwich went from

2016/17 - 102,000,000 to
2023/24 - 174,000,000

Liverpool went from

2016/17 - 90,000,000 to
2023/24 - 147,000,000

Man U went from

2016/17 - 152,000,000 to
2023/24 - 214,000,000

So our wage bill has nearly doubled since moving out of the stadium - we are yet to catch up on our rivals' but we are clearly in a better position now to be offering a wages we could never have dreamed of back in 2016/17.

For context, back then United had 5+ players on 200k+ a week

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom