Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree that many supporters also do not take the cups seriously but then why is the lack of a trophy so often talked about. Had we won a cup a few years ago then maybe we would not have lost Kane. As a supporter who has grown up with winning cups whilst our league position suffered I want to win a trophy. This year without Europe was an ideal time but we have already lost only 1 of 2 opportunities to do so. You only have 1 opportunity in a cup and lose and that’s that. However lose a league match and there are plenty of opportunities to get back into the top 4. Had we played a stronger team v Fulham, it may have affected our result v Burnley but we could have recovered from that but we are out of the League cup and that is final.
We just can’t seem to decide who we are as a club. Are we going to try to challenge for the league? If so, we need to really pump money at that. And that seems unlikely.

Are we a cup side that finishes top half? If so, we’d be playing full strength sides in cup matches. And that’s not happening either.

Someone mentioned on here in the last couple of days that we’ve hit a glass ceiling and I agree with that. Trying to go for the big prize has proved impossible and we’ve given up on “smaller” routes to success because of this.

Fucked if I know the answer.

We just can’t seem to decide who we are as a club. Are we going to try to challenge for the league? If so, we need to really pump money at that. And that seems unlikely.

Are we a cup side that finishes top half? If so, we’d be playing full strength sides in cup matches. And that’s not happening either.

Someone mentioned on here in the last couple of days that we’ve hit a glass ceiling and I agree with that. Trying to go for the big prize has proved impossible and we’ve given up on “smaller” routes to success because of this.

Well, hopefully now with Ange we will have one philosphy running through the club and it should stay that way.

And we should only have one remit, win every bloody game we play, win everything.

Surely our main (realistic*) aim is to get into the CL more often than not? Certainly feels like that looking at the last 15 years...

* obviously we 'aim' to win every game we play - but it would be stupid and unrealistic to expect that.

Surely our main aim is to get into the CL more often than not? Certainly feels like that looking at the last 15 years...
I would say the evidence confirms this, aye. But to what end? Just to be in the CL every year?

Surely we must have a plan to win a shiny pot at some point? Be that the league or a lesser trophy?

I would say the evidence confirms this, aye. But to what end? Just to be in the CL every year?

Surely we must have a plan to win a shiny pot at some point? Be that the league or a lesser trophy?
Why would we? Do we seriously believe that all clubs in all divisions have that as a serious ambition? Presumably everyone knows 'their place' and simply tries to exceed it, that can only be the sensibly target for any club surely? Of course the nearer you are to the elite, the more chance you should theoretically have of winning a cup, but clearly that's such a lottery (and we've been incredibly unlucky in one-off matches not to win one in the last 10 or so years...)

We should be going for top four and the FA Cup minimum

Why would we? Do we seriously believe that all clubs in all divisions have that as a serious ambition? Presumably everyone knows 'their place' and simply tries to exceed it, that can only be the sensibly target for any club surely? Of course the nearer you are to the elite, the more chance you should theoretically have of winning a cup, but clearly that's such a lottery (and we've been incredibly unlucky in one-off matches not to win one in the last 10 or so years...)
Because it seems we can’t maintain a high league position and a cup run at the same time. I’d give up a few seasons of CL to win a cup or two. But I doubt the owners would. Doubt our manager would either. More CL equals more money for the owners and, theoretically, more for the manager to spend on the team.
We should be going for top four and the FA Cup minimum
As above, can’t see any way we can challenge on more than one front. We’ve not done so for forty years and our rivals are stronger now than then. Top four is punching above our weight and winning the FA cup definitely is too (fuck the Wigan, Leicester freak seasons argument - everything is generally won by the massive teams).

Because it seems we can’t maintain a high league position and a cup run at the same time. I’d give up a few seasons of CL to win a cup or two. But I doubt the owners would. Doubt our manager would either. More CL equals more money for the owners and, theoretically, more for the manager to spend on the team.

As above, can’t see any way we can challenge on more than one front. We’ve not done so for forty years and our rivals are stronger now than then. Top four is punching above our weight and winning the FA cup definitely is too (fuck the Wigan, Leicester freak seasons argument - everything is generally won by the massive teams).

Woolwich have won the FA cup 4 times in the last 9 years but the FA cup is punching above our weight? I don’t get this mentality. I don’t think I ever will.

Domestic cups are well within our reach it’s just we as a club have never given them proper due care or attention and/or various coaches have just not been up to it in the biggest games.

Woolwich have won the FA cup 4 times in the last 9 years but the FA cup is punching above our weight? I don’t get this mentality. I don’t think I ever will.

Domestic cups are well within our reach it’s just we as a club have never given them proper due care or attention and/or various coaches have just not been up to it in the biggest games.
How often did they qualify for the CL in that period? Once or twice?

They were unable to keep up a level of performance on multiple fronts.

If we were willing to give up several seasons of CL qualification, there’s no reason we couldn’t do the same. Are we willing to do that? I would, but I doubt the owners, staff and players would.

The fact that some are so apathetic to our lack of trophies under ENIC is sad really.

I can understand people wanting to put context of our place in the history of English football over the last decade or so, that’s fine, that’s not defending levy. If people don’t know what he’s done wrong or what his role has been during that time not to push us over the line, then that’s on them, they should know by now. But there’s no doubting the financial doping of Chelsea and Man City has hurt us, but it’s also hurt the scum, Man U and Liverpool to different degrees too, so it isn’t a viable excuse for ENIC.

ENIC’s problem is when teams like West Ham win a trophy, it really highlights their ineptitude. Their owners are fucking useless. Worse than Levy. But when even they can lead their club to a trophy (even a pretty shit one) then it reflects badly on Levy.

Anyway, we’ve been through all this a trillion times. They are tired and old and need to go. Them kicking onto one good manager in every five appointments shouldn’t change anyone’s view on that (but we are allowed to enjoy the on field product during that time, we deserve to).

I can understand people wanting to put context of our place in the history of English football over the last decade or so, that’s fine, that’s not defending levy. If people don’t know what he’s done wrong or what his role has been during that time not to push us over the line, then that’s on them, they should know by now. But there’s no doubting the financial doping of Chelsea and Man City has hurt us, but it’s also hurt the scum, Man U and Liverpool to different degrees too, so it isn’t a viable excuse for ENIC.

ENIC’s problem is when teams like West Ham win a trophy, it really highlights their ineptitude. Their owners are fucking useless. Worse than Levy. But when even they can lead their club to a trophy (even a pretty shit one) then it reflects badly on Levy.

Anyway, we’ve been through all this a trillion times. They are tired and old and need to go. Them kicking onto one good manager in every five appointments shouldn’t change anyone’s view on that (but we are allowed to enjoy the on field product during that time, we deserve to).
Them going is very unlikely, I think change from within is more likely and they shouldn’t be scared of that.

We need a CEO. New ideas from the top, new leadership and a new voice booming throughout to deliver a clear objective of success. What companies have a CEO for 25 years? Seems v unusual to me. Levy had his good traits but these are largely back office, financial investments as opposed to smashing things up and banging a strategy change to deliver on field success

We need outside investment. This self funded model makes it almost impossible to build and challenge. We will buy well at times, but also get it wrong in another cycle so we need one tranche of funds tk invest for the short and long term. C.300-500M over and above current self funded transfers. This isn’t coming from Lewis so sell a minority stake in the club, or through some other means.

It's about the mentality behind the players. We have more chance of winning with that kind of mentality...
I don’t know enough about the mentality of the players to really comment except to say we tend to perform pretty well against some big sides (City being the prime example), but then lose out to wee teams in the cups. Maybe taking it not seriously enough? Going into these early cup rounds being so sure we are going to win that we take the foot off the gas?

I don’t know enough about the mentality of the players to really comment except to say we tend to perform pretty well against some big sides (City being the prime example), but then lose out to wee teams in the cups. Maybe taking it not seriously enough? Going into these early cup rounds being so sure we are going to win that we take the foot off the gas?
Ironically the last cup final we were in we lost to City.

Sadly you’re right

It's not all on Poch, if he had won the CL and other finals Levy would have got credit, there is collective responsibility and he must take his share of the blame

The CL final debacle was mostly on a Poch imv

Threatening to resign and playing a clearly unfit Kane

Back
Top Bottom