Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cancelled my membership direct debit auto renew last night.

I can only get to a few games a season but I'm not comfortable making the rich even richer as they take advantage of the country.

Football seems an irrelevance at the moment, I wish could simply go back to being frustrated and annoyed at mourinho being the manager but this debate goes beyond football.

I'll always be a spurs fan, have been for 35 years but I dont feel comfortable giving levy money. A suggestion I saw which is a good one but levy would probably lap it up is that any team that has used the government to pay the staff should be given an automatic one year transfer ban.
Good on ya. I am just going to illegally stream our games next season. Instead of lining the pockets of the greedy owners, chairmen, managers & players even more.

Mr Levy the lone gunslinger taken on over privileged greed infused players.
Saintly Levy saving mankind.

The man is morally and legally financially corrupt.
This whole affair has shown that Levy ENIC are a stain on the club. He's on the same level as a Mike Ashley while our bond villain floats the world in luxury admiring a billion pounds worth of art while Rome burns.

Dude we ain't on that boat.
Levy could get caught on CCTV spitting on a homeless person. & his fans will applaud him on highlighting the ill treatment of the homeless in this country.

Good and fair points. We have to tiptoe around touchy subjects nowadays because of "PC" which started with the best of intentions but has now got completely out of proportion.
I'll try to get a look at the documentary.
Although it's somewhat uncomfortable to watch, you can really see the dynamics at play by just checking out this two-minute trailer, which has most of the important moments in it, on YouTube:

The Chinese guy is not wrong, unfortunately, in what he says about infrastructure and development. And the adversarial nature of the wider neocolonial relationship is summed up so neatly in just the microcosmic everyday interactions between two men, with their unfiltered discussion of ethnicity in a completely non-Western PC fashion. (FWIW, the African guy gives as good as he gets in parts of the full documentary and the natives are "getting him back", in a sense, by robbing him blind)

Last edited:
What is Daniel Levy's thinking behind Tottenham furlough...

Some key excerpts:

Of Spurs’ 550 non-playing staff, around 40 per cent are being placed on furlough, which means the UK government paying 80 per cent of their wages up to £2,500 per month. Those that have been furloughed are members of staff who can’t do their job from home — like, for instance, workers at the currently-closed club shop.

The decision taken by Levy last week was not one that was universally popular at the club. Some opposed it entirely, others felt it would be sensible to at least hold fire on such a drastic step.

Levy was unmoved though and pressed on. He is not a man too bothered by public perception and his sole focus is doing whatever he feels is needed to keep the club surviving and sustainable. Announcing the decision on March 31 would also give staff who were having their wages reduced the maximum notice ahead of their next payday on April 30.

Principally, Levy made the decision because he is nervous about what lies ahead for Tottenham in light of the COVID-19 crisis. Every club faces a potentially terrifying future but Spurs’ situation is made more acute by their new £1 billion stadium.

Tottenham used up their cash reserves on the stadium, without taking public money, and have not had long enough to build them back up again. With no income for at least the next couple of months — bar a relatively meagre amount from online retail — Levy feels he must strip every cost he can out of the business bar letting staff go, which remains the last resort.

Concerns like these are universal for Premier League sides but it is the context of the new stadium that makes Spurs feel they are especially acute for them — since unlike West Ham and Manchester City, the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium was built using private rather than public money and must be repaid.

Time will tell whether he has been prudent or paranoid, but Levy was quick to recognise the havoc that the current global pandemic would wreak on football. The Athletic understands that soon after the Premier League was halted in mid-March, Levy was already fearing the worst. He viewed player pay cuts as being an inevitable necessity to make up for the shortfall in revenues like television money and anticipated the COVID-19 crisis leaving a number of clubs insolvent.

Levy is said to have feared the Premier League might not return until much later this year or even beyond, and so decided that decisive action was necessary.

Tottenham’s decision to furlough non-playing staff could also do damage in other ways. The absence of match-day staff is unlikely to affect results on the pitch but losing recruitment staff might. Senior staff like chief scout Steve Hitchen continue to work on reduced wages but other members of the recruitment team have been placed on furlough. Spurs feel they have already identified their summer targets and so can absorb the temporary losses but there are those that fear they might lose ground to rivals over the longer term. Again, the coming months and possibly even years will be telling.

In some respects, the players and many of those running the clubs are in agreement. Both feel that individuals and businesses that earn more than players and football clubs have been the subject of far less financial censure.

A club like Spurs will always be the subject of greater scrutiny though, since there is such an emotional investment made by supporters and a yearning for them to do the “right” thing. This was also the case with Liverpool and is a major reason why they decided to u-turn on their original decision.

Spurs will also always be a lightning rod for as long as they are owned by billionaire Joe Lewis, who is worth in excess of £4 billion and lives as a tax exile in the Bahamas. The optics of taking government money while Lewis continues not to put his own cash into the club are awful.
Tottenham will feel they have always been self-sufficient and after not taking public money for the stadium, build are entitled to do so now in a time of unprecedented hardship.
The article makes Levy sound like a coward pussy, no guts.

Although it's somewhat uncomfortable to watch, you can really see the dynamics at play by just checking out this two-minute trailer, which has most of the important moments in it, on YouTube:

The Chinese guy is not wrong, unfortunately, in what he says about infrastructure and development. And the adversarial nature of the wider neocolonial relationship is summed up so neatly in just the microcosmic everyday interactions between two men, with their unfiltered discussion of ethnicity in a completely non-Western PC fashion. (FWIW, the African guy gives as good as he gets in parts of the full documentary and the natives are "getting him back", in a sense, by robbing him blind)

This is a reductive an simplistic take on the colonial legacy. You also vastly read subtext into the microsmic dynamic between two people being followed around by a camera crew with a boom mike and lighting rig. Just my humble opinion....chuckles to himself.

Yes !! That sounds terrific. I'll probably try that out in the next batch
Is cheap brandy any good or is Cognac a necessity?
Any old stuff will do. I have a bottle of this in the kitchen from time to time for cooking, bog standard Spanish coñac.

012959_00_1.jpg

Interestingly, Joe Lewis doesn’t make the list of top 20 richest sports owners in the world. The only PL owners on the list are Kroenke and Abramovich. (Kahn at Fulham also makes the list).

Kind of surprising that Henry doesn’t make the list when he owns both Liverpool and the Boston Red Sox.
It's probably pretty difficult to get exact figures on Joe Lewis's actual net worth.

It's probably pretty difficult to get exact figures on Joe Lewis's actual net worth.

Given that he gave a personal guarantee for the stadium debt and the club's value is nothing if it can't play football it may well be a negative figure.

All of the clubs assets are currently liabilities; we have a stadium no one can attend, a training ground that you can't train on, players that aren't allowed to play, etc.

Back
Top Bottom