Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't believe anyone was making that argument, I believe that the debate was whether we spent or not and you said that we're near the bottom of investement for the squad, cleary we aren't.

Less of moving the goalposts and more of the honest debates please.
I don't understand why you think a two year snapshot of spending is some sufficiently large window to determine spending levels. Care to explain why?

Until we have more data, our spending should really be looked at in the context of 5-10 years, which is usually the lifespan of a "core squad" if you will, as they age.

Care to tell me where we fall with a 7.5 year window taken into account?

Then we can have the other debate of why you think a club that continually says they want to be CL contenders is being honest, when they're the 7th largest spending club in the EPL the last two seasons.

I don't understand why you think a two year snapshot of spending is some sufficiently large window to determine spending levels. Care to explain why?

Until we have more data, our spending should really be looked at in the context of 5-10 years, which is usually the lifespan of a "core squad" if you will, as they age.

Care to tell me where we fall with a 7.5 year window taken into account?

Then we can have the other debate of why you think a club that continually says they want to be CL contenders is being honest, when they're the 7th largest spending club in the EPL the last two seasons.

Because you made a bullshit claim when you said this:

They haven't invested

That shows you they have invested which I said in my original reply, they may not have invested the amount you would prefer but they have laid signifigant recent investement into the squad, more than Liverpool who have been more successful than us over the same period and less than Everton who are less than successful than us in that same period, that's over a 5 year period by the way which is enough to satisfy your selective arbitrary criteria.

And you can take those examples of Liverpool and Everton and have that debate with yourself because that will give you an answer your question.

Because you made a bullshit claim when you said this:

That shows you they have invested which I said in my original reply, they may not have invested the amount you would prefer but they have laid signifigant recent investement into the squad, more than Liverpool who have been more successful than us over the same period and less than Everton who are less than successful than us in that same period, that's over a 5 year period by the way which is enough to satisfy your selective arbitrary criteria.

And you can take those examples of Liverpool and Everton and have that debate with yourself because that will give you an answer your question.
Why are you so happily obscuring the fact that even starting from 2019, that makes us the 7th most invested team? Why don't you argue in good faith, stop shifting goal posts, and actually answer my question: how is 7th most investments at all an honest take for a club claiming to want to be European and PL champions?

The whole point for taking a longer term investment horizon is to appreciate that squad cores have an average "shelf life", to put it crudely. Liverpool haven't invested as heavily recently because they did so in the mid to late 2010s. Which by the way, we self imposed a transfer embargo. They went on to have a squad core worthy of european and pl champion honours, while we've regressed dramatically as our core squad aged without investment.

So go on. Try to answer. But I'm sure you won't and you'll shift the goal posts again. That's what Levy and Lewis love doing.

Troll.

Why are you so happily obscuring the fact that even starting from 2019, that makes us the 7th most invested team? Why don't you argue in good faith, stop shifting goal posts, and actually answer my question: how is 7th most investments at all an honest take for a club claiming to want to be European and PL champions?

The whole point for taking a longer term investment horizon is to appreciate that squad cores have an average "shelf life", to put it crudely. Liverpool haven't invested as heavily recently because they did so in the mid to late 2010s. Which by the way, we self imposed a transfer embargo. They went on to have a squad core worthy of european and pl champion honours, while we've regressed dramatically as our core squad aged without investment.

So go on. Try to answer. But I'm sure you won't and you'll shift the goal posts again. That's what Levy and Lewis love doing.

Troll.
He’s a Chelsea troll - don’t feed him

Troll.

Tell me this, how can I shift the goalposts of the arguement you put forward when I was merely replying to your claim that they haven't invested, I've just proved they have.

I've already answered your question and given you the Liverpool example, I don't know how many times you want me to explain this to you so I'll put it in very very simple terms so you can understand it a bit better:

Tottenham net spendover a 5 year period £206.8m
Liverpool net spend over a 5 year period £156.7m
Everton net spend over a 5 year period £220.6m

I don't know who claimed to want to be Prem and European Champions but Liverpool have spent less than us and have won both those prozes recently and Everton who have spent more than both clubs are a mess, now look how they've fared which tells you spending money doesn't guarantee success, and if you've actually followed the argument this is what I've been saying all along.

I don't know what you're talking about in regards to Liverpool either, they invested poorly in the mid to late 2010's before FSG took them over (Andy Carrol, Stewart Downing, Aquilani, Robie Keane etc..) in fact this trend carried on until 2014 when they signed Balotelli, only in the last few years they've got much smarter and more ruthless in the transfer market (since 2015)

So as I keep saying which you're wilfully and ignorantly ignoring for whatever reason, the issue with ENIC isn't the lack of investement, it's the lack of strategy and structure which they can be blamed for.

Last edited:
It's just insanity that we have a supposed fan here saying being 7th in net spend the last 5 years, while having one of the oldest squads in the EPL, is all fine for a club wanting to be European and premier League champions (I'm quoting club channels here).

And that's ignoring the period of 2017-2018 which completely destroyed our clubs chances at real honours when we had a top class manager and squad in place, who needed a simple boost.

Just insanity.

It's just insanity that we have a supposed fan here saying being 7th in net spend the last 5 years, while having one of the oldest squads in the EPL, is all fine for a club wanting to be European and premier League champions (I'm quoting club channels here).

And that's ignoring the period of 2017-2018 which completely destroyed our clubs chances at real honours when we had a top class manager and squad in place, who needed a simple boost.

Just insanity.

Yeah I mean look if you're going to twist things and put words in my mouth and completely straw man the debate then be my guest, it might benefit you to actually read and comprehend a differing opinion once in a while.

You don't need to make this debate as polarising as it is, I've actually criticised ENIC in saying that we are poor spenders and our strategy is wrong but for some weird reason you want to turn this into a tribal me vs you argument...anyway I'm out. :thumbup:

Yeah I mean look if you're going to twist things and put words in my mouth and completely straw man the debate then be my guest, it might benefit you to actually read and comprehend a differing opinion once in a while.

You don't need to make this debate as polarising as it is, I've actually criticised ENIC in saying that we are poor spenders and our strategy is wrong but for some weird reason you want to turn this into a tribal me vs you argument...anyway I'm out. :thumbup:
But the important thing to remember is, Mourinho should’ve played Bale sooner.

:levyeyes:

Doesn't mean we have £400m to spend, it means we could spend up to £400m and still be FFP compliant based on how much profit the club have made and our very modest wages to turnover ratio.

That report calculated what we could spend over a 10 year period, the firsrt 7-8 years of the decade the spending was largely minimal, the other 2-3 years the average spend per year has shot up hence why since 2019 we have the 7th highest net spend in the league.

So when you say they haven't spent, well initially yes but they have spent recently but spent poorly.
Nobody said that. What it does show is an un baised view from a third party of what this club is capable of spending without being overly risky as to put the clubs financial health into question.

As you can see, we have the highest FFP capacity in the league. Thats because were tight fecks

As for yourself. You're nowhere near as smart as you think you are.

Nobody said that. What it does show is an un baised view from a third party of what this club is capable of spending without being overly risky as to put the clubs financial health into question.

As you can see, we have the highest FFP capacity in the league. Thats because were tight fecks

As for yourself. You're nowhere near as smart as you think you are.

Fantastic because funnily enough no-one actually put that argument forward either, you stuck your ore in and took it upon yourself to mention FFP bollocks when in truth if you followed the debate it was about our strategy and whether we've spent money or not but cheers for speaking up about something everyone was well aware of, what's your next update gonna be you gonna tell us that we didn't speny any money in 2018 as well?

Word of advise: Less of the ad hominem attacks and debate the point, stop acting like a child when you don't agree with someone - I already had to school that clown who called me a Levybot just now, don't make me do it to you, cheers. :thumbup:

Fantastic because funnily enough no-one actually put that argument forward either, you stuck your ore in and took it upon yourself to mention FFP bollocks when in truth if you followed the debate it was about our strategy and whether we've spent money or not but cheers for speaking up about something everyone was well aware of, what's your next update gonna be you gonna tell us that we didn't speny any money in 2018 as well?

Word of advise: Less of the ad hominem attacks and debate the point, stop acting like a child when you don't agree with someone - I already had to school that clown who called me a Levybot just now, don't make me do it to you, cheers. :thumbup:
Look pal. You aint schooling nobody. You're a clown. A one man army of Levy propoganda.

The reason I mentioned FFP is because it is impossible to argue against. The rules are set up to advise clubs (by deterant) what living within their means looks like.

Go alot over FFP and you are risking the clubs future. Finish alot under FFP you're a skin flint. It very fecking obvious to everyman and his dog that this club is the stingiest in world football. Except you that is.

Well done, you absolute clown.

you absolute clown.
the-irony-irony.gif

Look pal. You aint schooling nobody. You're a clown. A one man army of Levy propoganda.

The reason I mentioned FFP is because it is impossible to argue against. The rules are set up to advise clubs (by deterant) what living within their means looks like.

Go alot over FFP and you are risking the clubs future. Finish alot under FFP you're a skin flint. It very fecking obvious to everyman and his dog that this club is the stingiest in world football. Except you that is.

Well done, you absolute clown.

Everything you've just written here is typical of someone who is incapable of engaging in a back and fourth regarding ENIC or Levy and have to resort to the usual levy Levybot, levy propoganda bollocks. Well the bad thing for you is that this isn't Twitter so there's no character limit and you're gonna have to apply some critical thinking and some nuance and have an actual grown up debate once in a while, if you're gonna have such a strong opinion then you need to expect to be challenged on it especially if it's wrong and especally when you act like a dick when you present it.

FFP accounts for the way you run your club, how much revenue you're bringing in, your wages to turnover, how much profit you're making, it's not just about spending or lack of it, so when you see a report that says Spurs can spend up to £400m this is because our club is ran very well and we are self sustainable. On that table Man Utd and Chelsea are 3rd (£243m) and 4th (£241) and they spend a bucket load of money but they claim a lot of revenue back due to gate receipts, commercial revenue, sponsorships, broadcasting, player trading etc...

So you can mention FFP all you want, you and I know that it doesn't tell the full story in regards to the club's spending habits. (The irony of you saying I'm not as smart as I think I am and you coming out with this nonsense is funny I'll admit)

btw maybe work on some anger management or composure, 2nd time you've attacked me in some lame attempt to score internet points, it's really not that deep mate - Ssuggest putting my posts on ignore - I would if I was you to save yourself embarrassment.

Back
Top Bottom