Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What players of good quality have we attracted as a direct result of getting European football? On the manager front we can cite Conte but Jose's rep was already shot to bits when he ended up with us, and now he's at Roma. Having a so called higher profile is nice if you then build on that, but we're not exactly making that next step up, are we?

We've been down there with the least entertaining teams to watch in the Premier League for the last 3 and a half seasons. Only recently under Conte have we again become watchable. We're also very short on actual top players.
Toby, Jan, Hugo, Son, Romero, N'dom, Eriksen, Dembele, Sanchez were all signed after we'd established ourselves as a top 6 prem club who were regularly in Europe. You may point out that Ndom and Sanchez are not top signings but at the time they cost a lot of money and were very highly rated. The others may have not been expensive but that highlights our real problem in recent years - piss poor player recruitment since we signed Son.

Conte is all the proof really though, he's a top level, elite, one of the best in the world manager and he's here for the reasons I stated in my earlier post, don't really see how anyone could argue with that. That level of manager would've pissed his pants laughing at us before our sustained league position finishes in the top 4 or 5. You're also using hyperbole regarding Jose. His rep wasn't shot to pieces before he joined us, it was with us that happened as you know. You could argue his rep wasn't quite what it had been after United but he was winning trophies and finishing 2nd in the league with them. Shot to bits? No chance.

We've certainly regressed in recent seasons but that's not been the norm as you can see if you look at our league finishes over a 10 or 15 year period. And now we have the manager who's putting us back where we were . We've got two international captains at least in Kane and Hugo, Son too. Player recruitment since Son has been poor and Levy deserves all the stick for that. But he also deserves credit for putting us in a position that throughout our history has only happened once before 60 years ago.

I want Spurs to be successful, I spend fortunes following them but I also realise that the goalposts have changed in the last 30 years, that since our last FA Cup win, the competition doesn't mean what it used to, that's it's all about the league and Europe.

I've no problem with them selling up, I support Spurs not Levy but I can recognise comparative success when it comes to our standing in world football and for that he deserves some credit.

And brought in Carlos to try and be Kane's understudy. Is there a striker you feel would have been a good one to go for?
Watkins and Bowen spring to mind. I didn't like the Odsonne Edouard idea at the time but he'd be helpful. Right now I think it's worth the risk and cost to our overall transfer kitty to go for Vlahovic.

Dogshit doesn't beat City and Ajax in the CL.

It sure shouldn't, but by god I saw it with my own eyes. I still can't quite believe it.

I think we're rebuilding a Top 4 team who can try again.

This is ultimately the crux of the issue. Those who are disagreeing with you in this thread fundamentally reject this premise.

Our squad is in bad shape and needs a LOT of investment (spent more wisely than Levy's scouting and negotiation operations seem capable of) to be a meaningful threat in the PL or CL again.

We missed our window and are further behind the very top now than we were under Jol.

What Conte represents is not the solution in himself, but someone worthy of being entrusted with the money needed to build the solution.

Watkins and Bowen spring to mind. I didn't like the Odsonne Edouard idea at the time but he'd be helpful. Right now I think it's worth the risk and cost to our overall transfer kitty to go for Vlahovic.

Personally I'm still unconvinced that Vlahovic is actually that great, but if that's the pick to elevate us then I agree. We should spend big on what Conte wants.

It sure shouldn't, but by god I saw it with my own eyes. I still can't quite believe it.

Because our team was actually pretty elite.

This is ultimately the crux of the issue. Those who are disagreeing with you in this thread fundamentally reject this premise.

Sure but I never hear much by way of actual argument to that effect. All I ever hear (yourself not included) from some is that Levy and ENIC have been a massive failure because we didn't win the FA Cup.

Our squad is in bad shape and needs a LOT of investment (spent more wisely that Levy's scouting and negotiation operations seem capable of) to be a meaningful threat in the PL or CL again.

We missed our window and are further behind the very top now than we were under Jol.

I don't agree there. I think we're just back to where we were after AVB. We have a very good chance of Top 4 this season and perhaps even overtake Chelsea in 3rd if we manage to raise our game against them.

We still have world class players. We never did under Jol.

What Conte represents is not the solution in himself, but someone worthy of being entrusted with the money needed to build the solution.

Agreed there too.

Mate,this weirdo has turned up from somewhere suddenly and promoting aftv constantly. Definitely a gooner troll.

No just someone who doesn't want a Tottenham forum to degrade into the type of inane garbage that gooners say on AFTV, which is what you present.

Why don't you tell me how shit Kane is again, since you're such a committed Spurs fan...

Funny how all your arguments are what They say about Us, isn't it?

No just someone who doesn't want a Tottenham forum to degrade into the type of inane garbage that gooners say on AFTV, which is what you present.

Why don't you tell me how shit Kane is again, since you're such a committed Spurs fan...
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

FightingIllini FightingIllini

Please hurry up and make a reply. This idiot is intensely boring.
People tend to behave better if you don’t insult them.

I don’t know what to tell you man, success at Spurs is about winning trophies as we’ve done throughout our history, and ENIC have been bereft on that score and present no path to getting there.

Your bottom line last resort seems to be that if and when we’re a big success under new ownership, we will owe Levy thanks for the concrete he poured to make us a proper modern football club.

I agree with you on that, but I’m not sure that argument points in the direction you think it does.

People tend to behave better if you don’t insult them.

What you mean like him calling me a gooner troll 17 times? Funny how that prompted me to clap back, ain't it?

I don’t know what to tell you man, success at Spurs is about winning trophies as we’ve done throughout our history, and ENIC have been bereft on that score and present no path to getting there.

I disagree on both points. Success, particularly at Spurs, has been about glory, and its echoes even when we fall short. Success at Spurs is about playing a certain way and believing in that ethos.

We did so under Jol, Redknapp and Poch. We just didn't win a trophy. Under Conte we've resumed that trajectory, and I don't see a trophy as unreachable under him.

Your bottom line last resort seems to be that if and when we’re a big success under new ownership, we will owe Levy thanks for the concrete he poured to make us a proper modern football club.

Well yes, but it's not a last resort. It's the context we should be appreciating rather than screaming vitriol at them because we didnt win an FA Cup.

I agree with you on that, but I’m not sure that argument points in the direction you think it does.

If you would rather be Wigan than where we are right now, or even Leicester, then I guess we just fundamentally disagree.

I think we're a well-run football club fairly cemented at the top end of English football again, instead of a short-lived project which won a trophy but then faded back into obscurity.

I would rather have that.

If you would rather be Wigan than where we are right now, or even Leicester, then I guess we just fundamentally disagree.

I'm still proud to be Spurs, myself.
Put it this way. Plop the King Power Stadium as it exists on the old WHL site, the Leicester training ground in Enfield, and give us their squad their manager and their owners, and I get their PL title and FA Cup, and I would take that deal in half a heartbeat.

What they’ve done is worthy of this club. Summer 2018 isn’t. The ESL isn’t.

To Dare Is To Do

What they’ve done is worthy of this club. Summer 2018 isn’t.

Which was one summer, and the spring of 2019 certainly was.

What ENIC has done is put us back in a position where we can do it more often.

To Dare Is To Do

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.”

We aim to be a European heavyweight, not just an FA Cup winner.

My point is it's pretty much irrelevant that we've boosted our profile to the point of being able to sign top players, if we never actually sign top players.
Like brilliant, we can shop at the big boy table. Oh wait those wages and transfer fees are frightening .. let's stick to the bargain bin.

But we do sign top players, and have done.

Lloris, Jan, Toby, Eriksen, Son, Dembele, Rose, Walker were all top players we found by looking below the highest profile tiers. We thought we had added to that with Sanchez and Ndombele, both of whom had great reputations and we forked out big money for.

We could never have bought Mbappe. He was out of our price range.

In short, we need to continue to be shrewd, because any player who the entire world recognizes would instantly improve us is going to have 50-100m more than we can afford thrown at them by someone other than us.

Toby, Jan, Hugo, Son, Romero, N'dom, Eriksen, Dembele, Sanchez were all signed after we'd established ourselves as a top 6 prem club who were regularly in Europe. You may point out that Ndom and Sanchez are not top signings but at the time they cost a lot of money and were very highly rated. The others may have not been expensive but that highlights our real problem in recent years - piss poor player recruitment since we signed Son.

Conte is all the proof really though, he's a top level, elite, one of the best in the world manager and he's here for the reasons I stated in my earlier post, don't really see how anyone could argue with that. That level of manager would've pissed his pants laughing at us before our sustained league position finishes in the top 4 or 5. You're also using hyperbole regarding Jose. His rep wasn't shot to pieces before he joined us, it was with us that happened as you know. You could argue his rep wasn't quite what it had been after United but he was winning trophies and finishing 2nd in the league with them. Shot to bits? No chance.

We've certainly regressed in recent seasons but that's not been the norm as you can see if you look at our league finishes over a 10 or 15 year period. And now we have the manager who's putting us back where we were . We've got two international captains at least in Kane and Hugo, Son too. Player recruitment since Son has been poor and Levy deserves all the stick for that. But he also deserves credit for putting us in a position that throughout our history has only happened once before 60 years ago.

I want Spurs to be successful, I spend fortunes following them but I also realise that the goalposts have changed in the last 30 years, that since our last FA Cup win, the competition doesn't mean what it used to, that's it's all about the league and Europe.

I've no problem with them selling up, I support Spurs not Levy but I can recognise comparative success when it comes to our standing in world football and for that he deserves some credit.

I don't think a single one of those names is that high profile, or are signings we couldn't possibly have made beforehand. It's players from Southampton or Fulham, or tier 2 clubs on the continent like Lyon, Ajax or Atalanta. Good signings but nobody who was some in his prime talent who top clubs wanted but we were able to muscle in and get.

Yeah, Conte is great. But he's also here because top clubs were reportedly wary of him after his bust up with 2 clubs. He threw a tantrum at Chelsea & Inter so clubs like United steered clear, and we took advantage of that. He's a big acquisition, we've shown ambition to sign top managers but not top players because they cost far more money. Oh and Jose had no top club to turn to when he joined us, he'd burned so many bridges and clubs were no longer willing to put up with the bullshit as his magic had worn off. His last two clubs had sacked him.

Ok, so we're in a great position, thanks Levy. Now how much stick does he get for not pushing on when we were in great positions under Pochettino? How much stick does he get for the club being less successful silverware wise than Wigan under his stewardship? It's not just bad recruitment, we're the laughing stock of the league and considered serial bottlers by rival fans because of our lack of ability to win something, fucking anything.

An FA cup would mean a hell of a lot to this fanbase. Or a Europa League title, or even a league cup. Something for the fans to celebrate which is real and permanent, rather than just celebrating competing or a healthy financial state.

Back
Top Bottom