Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are you aware that typing LOL doesn't constitute an argument, and often indicates that you don't actually have one?

I am aware that when you post something laughable like you did LOL is the only response.

By correcting you and offering counter points you don't like? Okay then.

You didn't correct anything.

Yes. They fluked a title through winning 1-0 against half a league that rolled over for them to enjoy their Cinderella story.

Sorry, did you not pay attention that season?

I did it certainly was far from a classic winning season and they had a ton of things go right for them but it as a 38 game season and they won the league by 10 points, and 11 over us, so not exactly like it was a tight fluke win.

But a fluke aside, it pretty much is.

Again no it isn't. You don't just ignore the results you don't like.

Yes. Really. Klopp was appointed in 2015. It took until the 2018-19 season for Liverpool to finish above us. Were you not paying attention during that period?

So 3 seasons and in the 2nd season they were 2 points behind so not exactly lagging behind. I was paying attention. They did what Levy won't do and many fans wished we would do and certainly could do.

Yes. A squad which challenged for the title in the toughest league in the world, defeated multiple European giants and made it to a CL final.

Do you ever pay any fucking attention to our club's seasons?

Challenged for the title is a stretch and made it to one CL final is borderline whether they are elite. My guess is if you ask most people elite teams win things.

Says you.

No says Paul Mitchell:

And did you not see Poch fired? Did you think he left because he loved Levy so much?

The fact that we were frequently in relegation battles and were worth 50m quid as an entire club is in fact proof that we were worse off and would have stayed worse off if ENIC had not changed our fortunes.

Did you pay attention to that period, or were you not yet a fan?

What does relegation battles have to do with us not being in the ECL?

Except for Leicester when they won the title. ;)

Lets take a look at past Champions and see how many had European games versus not. I am sure that will go well for your argument.

Yes but they don't have the type of investment that ENIC has pumped into our club over the past 20 years to keep us competitive with the super-rich.

It's almost as if you're not even paying attention to the argument...

What investment?

We have the biggest FFP space in the league because of the lack of investment in the squad.

But lets hear about all the great infrastructure they have built for us that has done nothing for success on the stadium.

I am paying attention to your "argument" it is just a shit argument.

Sorry you still dont understand. I recommend paying more attention.

:contebored:

Considering how often you contradict your own argument I think it is you that does not understand.

I'll keep saying it: ENIC have done a fantastic job building Spurs to a place where we can have great success under management that isn't them.

It doesn't have to be an oligarch. Levy has become the kind of dinosaur he once ran circles around. He's out of ideas. A douchey private equity conglomerate that grasps football in 2022 the way Levy grasped football in 2004 could win everything here.

Only if they abandon the policies which got us here in the first place.

I'm re-upping the meme I made the other day, because it's very true for where we stand, and for your (not entirely unjustified) stick towards transfer-obsessed chicken little message board polemicists.

61rxqu.jpg

I don't fit the description, sorry.

I want Levy to spend just as much as you probably do. I just am realistic about what we can spend given the uphill struggle we've had to endure and I won't consider it a failure of ownership if we don't.

Erling Haaland would be nice, no? Shame he's out of our price range.

Success = winning trophies. Finishing high in the league doesn't get you any prizes. It isn't successful.
It gets you European footy which is required to attract players and managers of good quality. A team finishing towards the top end of the Prem regularly becomes a team associated around the world as a big club, a club that challenges, that has the potential to win the biggest prizes. Regular midtable finishes with a league cup or Fa Cup every 7 or 8 years isn't attracting people like Conte to Spurs. Our profile is bigger now than it was the last time we won a trophy - after which Berbs and Keane fucked off.
Because their definition of what constitutes success is different to that of a club which claims to be part of the elite and has the ticket prices to match. We want to play with the big boys then ENIC need to deal with big boy expectations from the fans, which = trophies. Not finishing high in the league, silverware. Otherwise the other option is sell up to an Abramovich or someone else who has that ambition for the football club.

I go to non-league games all the time and have a ball, and the fans do as well. They're not trophy expectant because it's a cheap, fun day out. Spurs fans have a right to loftier expectations than that because the club is asking them for a lot more commitment to watch games.
The club is also providing a much higher level of entertainment with top level footballers playing at the highest level, Spurs and the opposition. You get what you pay for generally. Success and outcomes aren't guaranteed, it's what makes footy so wonderful as we saw on Wednesday. I would like to see ticket prices correlated to league position though, have done for years.

They are living off that title win, while we labored under Jose and suffered for it.

Where are they right now?

They've come inches from top 4 in the last 2 seasons and won a major trophy, how are they living off the title win? They're a generally well run football club with good recruitment who are having a bad season, we had two of those back to back. But our 'project' is far further along, and we weren't semi recently a championship team.

Total strawman, not worth engaging with, as dim and unsophisticated as the people you're making fun of.

It's not 2005 anymore, and we aren't cutesy little Tottenham anymore.

The whole point of the ENIC project was to allow us to operate in a different way.

They've come inches from top 4 in the last 2 seasons and won a major trophy, how are they living off the title win?

Because they haven't been anywhere near the title since, let alone even get into the Top 4. Rodgers gave them a shot in the arm which is now wearing off.

They're a generally well run football club with good recruitment who are having a bad season, we had two of those back to back. But our 'project' is far further along, and we weren't semi recently a championship team.

Agreed, on both counts. Tell me where you think they will end up though this season and next season?

It gets you European footy which is required to attract players and managers of good quality. A team finishing towards the top end of the Prem regularly becomes a team associated around the world as a big club, a club that challenges, that has the potential to win the biggest prizes. Regular midtable finishes with a league cup or Fa Cup every 7 or 8 years isn't attracting people like Conte to Spurs. Our profile is bigger now than it was the last time we won a trophy - after which Berbs and Keane fucked off.

The club is also providing a much higher level of entertainment with top level footballers playing at the highest level, Spurs and the opposition. You get what you pay for generally. Success and outcomes aren't guaranteed, it's what makes footy so wonderful as we saw on Wednesday. I would like to see ticket prices correlated to league position though, have done for years.

What players of good quality have we attracted as a direct result of getting European football? On the manager front we can cite Conte but Jose's rep was already shot to bits when he ended up with us, and now he's at Roma. Having a so called higher profile is nice if you then build on that, but we're not exactly making that next step up, are we?

We've been down there with the least entertaining teams to watch in the Premier League for the last 3 and a half seasons. Only recently under Conte have we again become watchable. We're also very short on actual top players.

I don't fit the description, sorry.

I want Levy to spend just as much as you probably do. I just am realistic about what we can spend given the uphill struggle we've had to endure and I won't consider it a failure of ownership if we don't.

Let's be realistic.

I'd take even a Chris Wood in January. As a backup striker. Our only senior backup fucking striker.

Total strawman, not worth engaging with, as dim and unsophisticated as the people you're making fun of.

Not at all. Who the fuck do you want us to spend big on to make us win trophies when all the players who could do so are out of our price range?

Do tell.

It's not 2005 anymore, and we aren't cutesy little Tottenham anymore.

EXACTLY. We're a big club with a global brand, new stadium and still good squad precisely because of the ownership under attack.

The whole point of the ENIC project was to allow us to operate in a different way.

And it paid huge dividends. If Abramovic and Mansour hadn't changed the league it would have brought trophies too.

Because they haven't been anywhere near the title since, let alone even get into the Top 4. Rodgers gave them a shot in the arm which is now wearing off.

Agreed, on both counts. Tell me where you think they will end up though this season and next season?

Oh I don't expect them to win the title .. but they've clearly done well since the title win with an FA cup win, CL quarter finals and finishing outside the top four by the narrowest of margins twice. That doesn't scream club living off past success to me, not when you consider where Leicester were pre-title win. Looks like one which is building on that.

This season? Top half eventually, they've been poor. Hit hard by corona and injuries and Brendan is a good coach but seems to struggle when his teams hit adversity. Next season is anybody's guess depending on signings and the coach in place, but top 6 wouldn't surprise me at all. Nor would another FA cup/league cup win.

Okay gooner scum. Go troll some other club's forum now.:dembelefingers:

He's not a gooner, just has different opinions. I know a few very passionate/dedicated Spurs fans IRL who are very pro ENIC/Levy, people just have different values and expectations in life, it is what it is. Doesn't make any one fan better than the other.

What players of good quality have we attracted as a direct result of getting European football? On the manager front we can cite Conte but Jose's rep was already shot to bits when he ended up with us, and now he's at Roma. Having a so called higher profile is nice if you then build on that, but we're not exactly making that next step up, are we?

We've been down there with the least entertaining teams to watch in the Premier League for the last 3 and a half seasons. Only recently under Conte have we again become watchable. We're also very short on actual top players.

Did we not attract players because they didn't care that we had CL football or Levy wouldn't buy them?

It has been said by many players, in regards to us and other clubs, that they want CL football to move. I don't think that is up for debate.

Now if your argument is that Levy won't spend anyways on those guys, fair enough, but I think I would rather have that be the case than not even being able to go for them because they reject us before we even try.

Who the fuck do you want us to spend big on to make us win trophies when all the players who could do so are out of our price range?

We're a big club with a global brand, new stadium and still good squad precisely because of the ownership under attack.

it paid huge dividends.
See the problem here?

Like to the extent your point is that it's not possible for a club to organically compete with the fully functional Pep City machine, fair enough, but that's a pretty banal observation.

The discussion in the other thread is whether we can even bring in any player at all to cover Kane at striker.

"CL Final" is plugging a hole in your argument where a far dimmer reality actually sits.

Did we not attract players because they didn't care that we had CL football or Levy wouldn't buy them?

It has been said by many players, in regards to us and other clubs, that they want CL football to move. I don't think that is up for debate.

Now if your argument is that Levy won't spend anyways on those guys, fair enough, but I think I would rather have that be the case than not even being able to go for them because they reject us before we even try.

My point is it's pretty much irrelevant that we've boosted our profile to the point of being able to sign top players, if we never actually sign top players.

Like brilliant, we can shop at the big boy table. Oh wait those wages and transfer fees are frightening .. let's stick to the bargain bin.

Not at all. Who the fuck do you want us to spend big on to make us win trophies when all the players who could do so are out of our price range?

Do tell.

What absolute BS.

There are no players that should be out of our price range, maybe some that won't choose to come here but not out of our price range.

And fucking Leicester won the FA Cup last year what player do they have that is out of our price range or unattainable for us?

Fucking Woolwich won it the year before what player on that team is beyond our ability to get.

This BS narrative that it is too hard or expensive for us to compete is pathetic and absolute horse shit.

My point is it's pretty much irrelevant that we've boosted our profile to the point of being able to sign top players, if we never actually sign top players.

Like brilliant, we can shop at the big boy table. Oh wait those wages and transfer fees are frightening .. let's stick to the bargain bin.

I think that is fair enough, and the only reason we never sign them is Levy.

I would still rather us not sign them by choice and maybe then accidently sign one, rather than us not sign them because they won't come at all.

I also think that any hope we have of finally taking that step is by the increase in money that CL brings to the club, although we have already seen Levy fine to fuck that away rather than use it to build the squad.

Back
Top Bottom