Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just go watch your aftv now , im sure you guys have your own forums instead of coming here to troll.

Mate, you're the one acting like a gooner melt. Why don't you go join their ranks where you can spray each others faces with spittle and pop a vein every time results don't go your way, whining about how it's not good enough for your sacred club which has a sacred right to win, etc?

Every argument you make is taken straight from their rantings.

:contesmell:

Igula Igula

Most if not all.

Yes it 100% is on them that we make it to those SF's and Finals and don't have the team to compete. We are not the favorites because Levy does not invest in the team, does not back the managers.

But we did have the team to compete, as I mentioned those two semi finals of the FA Cup in 2016 and 2017, we beat Chelsea 2-0 three months prior to them turning us over in the semi final, the following year we beat Utd 2-0 at Wembley three months prior to them beating us at Wembley 2-1, after we took the lead nonetheless.

You can look at our previous matches, losing against Portsmouth in the FA Cup semi, losing on pens in the Carling Cup final against Man Utd. utter nonsense to say it's down to lack of investement when the likes of Wigan, Swansea, Birmingham have won cups the last time we actually won something.

Yes you can blame them for the Chelsea game because the fact that the option was play Son out of position or play dog shit Davies is the problem.

Having dogshit Lucas as the back-up for Kane is their fault.

You're re-writing history - Davies was playing well, if you recall he played a big part in our season after Rose got injured against Sunderland and if I recall Rose got injured on the last day of the transfer window. So Poch had the option of playing a recognised left back at left back or play a player out of position, he chose the latter

The following season he played Vorm in goal in the semi against Utd and dropped Lloris for some inexplicable reason, you gonna tell me that when the team sheet came out you pointed the finger at ENIC...let me guess ENIC should have bought Neuer to deputise for Lloris that season?

Dogshit Lucas? 🤦‍♂️ Nah sorry your argument is all over the place, you realise Lucas was responsible fot taking us to the final, he was on form and he dropped him for an unfit Kane, that's all on the coach and incidently a coach who sent out a message to his players before the final saying that his intention is to leave after the final, but yeah let's blame Levy for that lol

No it isn't mentality or management it is a lack of quality player issue.

In the last 4 final's we've scored 0 (zero) goals, whatever way you want to look at it that's a mentality problem, we've been good enough to score at least 1 goal in that time, for a team who boasts the likes of Kane, Eriksen, Dele, Lucas, Son in that time to score 0 goals is pathetic and down to the players and the management.

We didn't lose to Chelsea in the SF because of Conte's management we lost because our squad was miles behind them. Because we had to play multiple players that weren't close to good enough in our starting 11. With Son out we had zero quality attacking depth to replace him.

That is all on Levy.

Levy's lack of investment in the club has had a direct result in every single cup failure we have had.

You won't see me disagreeing with you in regards to our current squad and I agree Levy should take a lot of blame for leaving it in the state it's currently in but in regards to the Chelsea match we gave Chelsea all 3 goals in that tie, both games we were beaten in our heads before we kicked off, to me it was obvious that Conte threw the 2nd leg, Conte played Doherty at LWB when he had Sessegnon on the bench and he played Gollini in goal, he had the tools to put a better team out and didn't utilise them but IMO he did that to focus on the league so I don't blame him that much.

Brighton outplayed Chelsea twice recently, yes Brighton a team who are below us in the table , you have to ask yourself how comes they can turn up against a team like Chelsea and not fear them like we do? Is that down to their chairman putting signifigant funds in, I don't think so

When you look at thing is context you're realise that things aren't so binary.

I don't agree. I think that is on Abramovich, and his ability to pour 2 billion quid into his toy of his own money. I don't know why people keep forgetting we don't have a mafia-related oligarch in charge of our club.

Abramovich doesn't pour billions into Liverpool, Leicester, WH and yet they have all been ahead of us last year.

Abramovich didn't pour billions into Dynamo Zagreb or Mura when they put us out of Europe.

I would say rather Levy's investment in the club is why and how we got to so many semis and finals in the first place when surrounded by super-rich giants.

We got to semi-finals and finals before Levy so not sure why you would give him credit for that.

We were in that tier, or even lower, until ENIC changed our fortunes by getting us into first the Top 6, then the Top 4, and even into title races and a CL final.

All without Russian or Saudi oligarchs funding the journey. Has it been perfect? Of course not, but the only reason we're not still in a position where 6th place thanks to Klinsmann is cause for an open-top bus parade is due to them slowly but surely building our club to compete with Europe's elites.

The idea that they've been an abject failure is to me complete nonsense. There have been missteps and missed opportunities for sure, but on the whole ENIC's ownership is the reason we didn't become just like Villa or Everton, or worse.

It's not an either/or scenario.

I don't even know what to say about that.

So now it's ENICs credit, that some of the old PL clubs around us are run by absolute amateurs?

This is worse than the "net spend" argument.

Abramovich doesn't pour billions into Liverpool, Leicester, WH and yet they have all been ahead of us last year.

You mean the year we lost all identity under the Dinosaur and had to appoint Ryan Mason as an interim? Tell me how many times West Ham or Leicester finished above us since 2001.

Liverpool are a different animal, and even they were behind us for years until they lucked out on Klopp.

Abramovich didn't pour billions into Dynamo Zagreb or Mura when they put us out of Europe.

What about when we beat the reigning champions (Madrid) and got to a CL final?

You might think we should have given our all in the ECL but I do not, and an thankful we don't have to waste our midweek energy on it.

We got to semi-finals and finals before Levy so not sure why you would give him credit for that.

Because in that era you didn't have Abramovich and Mansour utterly transforming the financial landscape of the league. We are in a period where the top honors in English football have been concentrated in the fewest hands ever.

Staying competitive in such an era is an achievement to me, even if we keep falling short at the finish line.

Absolutely disagree.

Finance gains or not, their football managment has been awful.

You can probably identify 3-5 personel key appointments from 21 blooming years, of which at least one was bang on coincidence and luck (Rafa).

The rest of it has been distinctly high-mid-table spectrum and down to outright sporting and fiscal disasters (The Beatles 7 bar Eriksen, Ndombele, Rebrov, Sissoko and several handful of average-to-comedy level managers).
Aha, so this it seems is where we disagree. For me, our average league position in the last 10 years (for example) indicates they must have been doing something right. For you, for the reasons you state, you think differently. And that's fine - we're both entitled to our opinions, and both have some kind of rationale to support them.

One thing is for certain though - having conversations and providing rationales, such as in the last couple of pages here, albeit whilst still disagreeing, is a million times better than all calling each other cunts / bots / idiots etc, hopefully we can all agree with that. :)

You mean the year we lost all identity under the Dinosaur and had to appoint Ryan Mason as an interim? Tell me how many times West Ham or Leicester finished above us since 2001.

Liverpool are a different animal, and even they were behind us for years until they lucked out on Klopp.

So now we just ignore the things we don't like?

Leicester finished ahead of us in 2015-16 without using big money.

They didn't luck into Klopp they had smart football people and let them make decisions unlikely Levy who chases those guys out.

What about when we beat the reigning champions (Madrid) and got to a CL final?

It was great to see how we built on that by backing the manager that got us there and strengthening our squad....

You might think we should have given our all in the ECL but I do not, and an thankful we don't have to waste our midweek energy on it.

Good thing we got out of Europe early lately to boost our amazing results in the PL.

Because in that era you didn't have Abramovich and Mansour utterly transforming the financial landscape of the league. We are in a period where the top honors in English football have been concentrated in the fewest hands ever.

Staying competitive in such an era is an achievement to me, even if we keep falling short at the finish line.

Again it isn't just City and Chelsea winning things so that pathetic excuse doesn't work.

I don't even know what to say about that.

So now it's ENICs credit, that some of the old PL clubs around us are run by absolute amateurs?

Says who?

People on the internet talk a big game about their expertise in things they have never been anywhere near other than watching from the stands or on telly.

The truth is that making a successful football team/club is very HARD. That's why only a handful are ever successful.

Nottingham Forest used to be the best club in Europe. Tottenham Hotspur used to be a powerhouse club in England in the 60s. These things change, and I would argue that the reason we have any hope of ever becoming anything like that again is thanks to the management we currently have.

Like I said, of course we can point to mistakes made along the way, but yo suggest that it's a given that we should be winning titles and anything other than that is just amateurish failure is just absurd to me.

Says who?

People on the internet talk a big game about their expertise in things they have never been anywhere near other than watching from the stands or on telly.

The truth is that making a successful football team/club is very HARD. That's why only a handful are ever successful.

Nottingham Forest used to be the best club in Europe. Tottenham Hotspur used to be a powerhouse club in England in the 60s. These things change, and I would argue that the reason we have any hope of ever becoming anything like that again is thanks to the management we currently have.

Like I said, of course we can point to mistakes made along the way, but yo suggest that it's a given that we should be winning titles and anything other than that is just amateurish failure is just absurd to me.

Say what?

Saying we should have won more in 21 blooming years with our relative position is absurd?

What on earth are you on about?

Aha, so this it seems is where we disagree. For me, our average league position in the last 10 years (for example) indicates they must have been doing something right. For you, for the reasons you state, you think differently. And that's fine - we're both entitled to our opinions, and both have some kind of rationale to support them.

One thing is for certain though - having conversations and providing rationales, such as in the last couple of pages here, albeit whilst still disagreeing, is a million times better than all calling each other cunts / bots / idiots etc, hopefully we can all agree with that. :)

League position say nothing, really. Prize money apart, the league is about 1st, 4th and 18-20st.

I am a sucker for stats which measure succes, by anually making comparisons to pts count from 1st, 4th and 18th. But that's just me.

The fact remains, that lots of clubs find it in no way "hard" to build succesfull team, that win titles and cups in all sorts of competitions. With all the luck, coincidence etc involved.

But 21 years is no coincidence.

Make no mistake: We have consolidated our league position and we have rode the commercial + broadcasting rights inflation very cleverly. But that's it. As for the managment of the FC itself, it's pretty much of a muchness.

So now we just ignore the things we don't like?

That seems to be your MO more than mine, bud...

Leicester finished ahead of us in 2015-16 without using big money.

Yes. They fluked it. Is that supposed to be a damning indictment of Spurs?

They didn't luck into Klopp they had smart football people and let them make decisions unlikely Levy who chases those guys out.

And it still took them years to catch up to little ol' Spurs.

It was great to see how we built on that by backing the manager that got us there and strengthening our squad....

It was great to see how we had gotten to that point in the first place by having smart football people make decisions which gained us an elite squad.

Chicken and egg, mate.

Good thing we got out of Europe early lately to boost our amazing results in the PL.

Yes. Otherwise we'd be even worse off in the league than we are and would be flying to Albania on Thursday nights.

Again it isn't just City and Chelsea winning things so that pathetic excuse doesn't work.

City have won 3 of the last 7 league titles, with Chelsea winning 2 and beating them in the CL final. The only other winners were Liverpool and Leicester's fluke, and City are clearly going to win again this year.

What's pathetic is pretending that money hasn't made the difference.

That seems to be your MO more than mine, bud...

Yes. They fluked it. Is that supposed to be a damning indictment of Spurs?

And it still took them years to catch up to little ol' Spurs.

It was great to see how we had gotten to that point in the first place by having smart football people make decisions which gained us an elite squad.

Chicken and egg, mate.

Yes. Otherwise we'd be even worse off in the league than we are and would be flying to Albania on Thursday nights.

City have won 3 of the last 7 league titles, with Chelsea winning 2 and beating them in the CL final. The only other winners were Liverpool and Leicester's fluke, and City are clearly going to win again this year.

What's pathetic is pretending that money hasn't made the difference.

You don't quite get it, do you? Or are you just being contrarian for the sake of it?

Money is fantastic, but you still have to convert into football performances.

The financial gains made, relatively, by ENIC in a grateful and massively inflating market has been converted into pretty much nothing. Apart from relative league positions. Which apart from 1st, 4th and 18th means pretty little.

That's not what's being said though, is it? It's being claimed that ENIC have been an abject failure who have somehow held us back.

That's absurd.

Well, sorry, but that is what football is about for football fans.

This is a Tottenham Hotspur FC forum.

Not an investment banking benchmarking one.

What did you expect?

You don't quite get it, do you? Or are you just being contrarian for the sake of it?

I'm simply pointing out facts that undermine the unhelpful narrative.

Money is fantastic, but you still have to convert into football performances.

Yes and only a precious few ever manage to do that. This is why United and Woolwich dominated the league as the two richest clubs, until Abramovic came along and turned Chelsea into the richest club, leading to their dominance. Then along came City's financial upgrade, leading them to dominate.

It's not exactly a difficult pattern to spot. Are you being contrarian for thr sake of it?

The financial gains made, relatively, by ENIC in a grateful and massively inflating market has been converted into pretty much nothing.

Aside from a state of the art stadium and a squad which reached a CL final.

Apart from relative league positions. Which apart from 1st, 4th and 18th means pretty little.

If you truly believe that then I don't know why you even bother watching this sport.

Well, sorry, but that is what football is about for football fans.

I disagree. Football fans like seeing their teams play good football and be competitive. Why do you think fans flock to grounds up and down the country and around the world to watch teams with almost zero chance of winning a trophy?

I can take your attempt at claiming the high ground and shove it places the sun don't shine. You know which fans care only about winning trophies?

Glory hunting plastic fans. You wanna own that position you go right ahead.

This is a Tottenham Hotspur FC forum.

So let's discuss Tottenham Hotspur FC and the fact that we are a competitive club in a landscape dominated by super-rich giants and still somehow manage to hang in there.

Not an investment banking benchmarking one.

What did you expect?

A football fan, not a plastic glory hunter.

I didn't start this mate, but I sure have no reason to quiver in my shoes.

Well again that seems to be a key point on which we disagree - for me league position is about as good a measure as you can get for success - 38 games, no prisoners, nowhere to hide. But if you want to look at other factors as well / instead, of course that's your right. :)

Success = winning trophies. Finishing high in the league doesn't get you any prizes. It isn't successful.

Back
Top Bottom