Levy out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy Out?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure. On the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
With the playing assets and money the execs on plus the money the club make those 550 staff were never going to make the difference to the clubs future.

That player is some character. No wages for three years, I wish I could be that selfless even if his already a millionaire.
I imagine the vast majority of players make huge donations to charity already. Just massively crass to speak about it all the time. Not having a go at this guy, as he’s obviously reacting to the present situation (and huge credit to him for doing what he does), but I know I’d get bored of reading about Harry Kane giving £100k a week to charity every week.

I suppose I’m saying just because we don’t know it happens doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

I imagine the vast majority of players make huge donations to charity already. Just massively crass to speak about it all the time. Not having a go at this guy, as he’s obviously reacting to the present situation (and huge credit to him for doing what he does), but I know I’d get bored of reading about Harry Kane giving £100k a week to charity every week.

I suppose I’m saying just because we don’t know it happens doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.
He speaks about not going public for that sort of reason. People begging, looking for angles to prove his doing it for the wrong reasons.

No matter though what a generous chap.

I have to say this debate is boring childish and reductive. Every time someone makes the comparison between a nurse wages and a footballers something inside me dies. We live in a rancid free market economy where the correlation between social worth/entertainment has NEVER been equitable and NEVER will.

As a society if we are comfortable with the starting salaries of nursing, ancillary staff and policemen being so low they can not buy a house that's on us and our government not Rahim Sterling. All the current hand wringing whilst bankers people of less worth than your average National league clogger are STILL picking up bonuses. It's about working class men not being allowed to have money that's why it's never framed as nurse vs banker. The mastersweeps and mill owners like Levy are the problem and always were, when can we have a "wage cap" on the owners? That's what the worlds needs.

I have to say this debate is boring childish and reductive. Every time someone makes the comparison between a nurse wages and a footballers something inside me dies. We live in a rancid free market economy where the correlation between social worth/entertainment has NEVER been equitable and NEVER will.

As a society if we are comfortable with the starting salaries of nursing, ancillary staff and policemen being so low they can not buy a house that's on us and our government not Rahim Sterling. All the current hand wringing whilst bankers people of less worth than your average National league clogger are STILL picking up bonuses. It's about working class men not being allowed to have money that's why it's never framed as nurse vs banker. The mastersweeps and mill owners like Levy are the problem and always were, when can we have a "wage cap" on the owners? That's what the worlds needs.
We do take this more personally as it reflects badly on the club we support. I think if we can separate the club from the business it’ll sit better, just not that well.

But every other business is the same asTottenham. The owners get most money and always will. I get paid more than my staff as it’s my money that started the business and it’ll be all my money that goes if we collectively fail. So I’ve no issue with it.

It’s not great that we are looking at the difference in £4m per annum to £30k in salaries in the same business. The disparity in mine is maybe £25k per annum from highest to lowest and I see that as acceptable. Each to their own to decide what is and isn’t palatable I suppose.

I want Levy to protect the clubs assets so that we can have better times ahead. If that means taking Government money then I am happy with that. Now what he does with his own money is a different matter. I am not clear on what he is doing. He said he is included in the 20% cut but if he is on Government scheme then there is a cut off and he is receiving a much smaller amount equivalent to £30,000pa. I do not think that is the case and so he is still getting 80% of his income from the club. Now if the players take a 30% cut then I expect Levy to match that. However again I am not clear if the players cut is going to the club or NHS & other leagues.
I do think that it is time to move the public discussion from football to high earners elsewhere.

I want Levy to protect the clubs assets so that we can have better times ahead. If that means taking Government money then I am happy with that. Now what he does with his own money is a different matter. I am not clear on what he is doing. He said he is included in the 20% cut but if he is on Government scheme then there is a cut off and he is receiving a much smaller amount equivalent to £30,000pa. I do not think that is the case and so he is still getting 80% of his income from the club. Now if the players take a 30% cut then I expect Levy to match that. However again I am not clear if the players cut is going to the club or NHS & other leagues.
I do think that it is time to move the public discussion from football to high earners elsewhere.
I understood that everyone took a 20% drop across the board, so Levy is down to £267k per month and the govt scheme would pay £2500 of that, the remainder being fulfilled by the club.

Same as a commercial manager for example. Down from £5k per month to £4K and the govt paying £2500 of that and the club paying the difference.

Maybe I’m wrong though.

I understood that everyone took a 20% drop across the board, so Levy is down to £267k per month and the govt scheme would pay £2500 of that, the remainder being fulfilled by the club.

Same as a commercial manager for example. Down from £5k per month to £4K and the govt paying £2500 of that and the club paying the difference.

Maybe I’m wrong though.
The Government will reimburse 80% of a PAYE employee’s salary if they are furloughed but to qualify the employee cannot carry out any work duties during this period. Like many enterprises the club still needs to function during the shutdown and so there will be many people who will have hardly anything to do but the club cannot furlough them.

Levy may have said to people who earn a lot more than £37500 a year (ie 80% of that equates to £2500 per month), look if you are furloughed you will only get £2500 pm or you can keep doing your job and will pay you 20% less. I work in construction and know that many firms have done this. If someone is on £75k per year they would rather agree to 20% less (or even more) in the short term & carryon working rather than being furloughed.

Wages to pay
Interest payments to pay
No match day income
Doubts over tv money
Questions over sponsors giving us money with no games being played

I wonder how buggered financially we are at the moment?

Wages to pay
Interest payments to pay
No match day income
Doubts over tv money

A lot less buggered than others I’d hope. Otherwise, what was the point in not spending more in recent years? I always held out hope we were looking after the long term. Hope I’m right.

We do take this more personally as it reflects badly on the club we support. I think if we can separate the club from the business it’ll sit better, just not that well.

But every other business is the same asTottenham. The owners get most money and always will. I get paid more than my staff as it’s my money that started the business and it’ll be all my money that goes if we collectively fail. So I’ve no issue with it.

It’s not great that we are looking at the difference in £4m per annum to £30k in salaries in the same business. The disparity in mine is maybe £25k per annum from highest to lowest and I see that as acceptable. Each to their own to decide what is and isn’t palatable I suppose.
I have and will always have issues with wage disparity from top CEO's to a Nurse for example. That said so long as the top earners pay their TAX on their earnings the issue whilst uncomfortable in the extreme examples isn't as big a problem.

What is absolutely unacceptable in my book is the big Corps like Dell, Facebook, eBay, Amazon etc.etc. and their owners (those like our own Joe Lewis) not paying a fucking cent or at lower rates than the lowest-paid! This is utterly grotesque.

If Kane pays tax at 40% on his £200k per week salary then the exchequer receives £4,160,00 per year, this is the equivalent of 563 Registered Nurses paying their tax on their income!!

Wages to pay
Interest payments to pay
No match day income
Doubts over tv money

I would suggest its all but certain clubs wont be playing again until August/September (after a 4-6 week preseason to get players fit again) so we might be fine now - but certainly would be financially significantly damaged (forget buying players for example) by the time we started playing football in September.

But other PL clubs with less prudently run finances will go to the wall for the reasons you say without a significant saving in player wages. We would probably be one of the last men standing.

Problem also becomes more acute for clubs in championship, league 1 and league 2.

As an aside, it will only be possible in say August/September to get an estimate as to how revenues for next season will be affected - sponsors likely to have less money so could easily see that money being less, will as many supporters who have had wages cut to £30k pa (under government scheme) be able and willing to pay ticket prices charged by most clubs etc, and imo its possible we will see UK's GDP might be down 10% with 10% unemployment etc affecting all businesses and people .

And depending on the answer, what the consequences might be

RMC Sport report that eight Ligue 1 presidents have formed a crisis team in a bid to save French football from financial ruin amid the ongoing COVID-19 disruption to the footballing calendar.

Comment - seems a number of clubs have lost confidence in the French FA to find a solution to deliver revenues to allow all the clubs to survive the extended closed season and reduced revenues (they also know their TV revenues cut, sponsors cut etc)

Back
Top Bottom