Levy out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy Out?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure. On the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'd suggest that the fact that the majority of Pochs first X1 were bought before Poch joined shows that Levy and his advisors have done pretty well before Poch, just a question of finding a manager to add icing to the cake.

And the players Levy gave to Poch when he joined were all many times better than the squad Levy inherited from Sugar, so it's no fluke that Levy had a good set of players to give to Poch

So the answer to the first question. Is "yes"

You could also flip that over and say the reason Poch has succeeded with Levy's players is because he has had to and, unlike almost any other manager, hasn't needed hundreds of millions of investment year on year. If Levy wanted a change, it will cost him money he can't comprehend. Poch has been perfect for what Levy wanted, minimum investment, maximum return.
There's also the fact a handful of players could feel alienated if poch was pushed....

So do you still think Levy could cope without Poch?

You ask this as if they both haven't existed in the realm of football without one another.

We achieved CL football without Poch. Not sure if you remember.

Wasn't that big of a deal, I guess.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Redknapp reign, but let's not compare a rag tag bunch of players "running about a bit" and getting one year in the champions league to 4 consecutive seasons of it, 2 title challenges, 2 FA Cup semi finals, a league cup semi and a final and a champions league final.

What Redknapp did wasn't what Levy wanted. He relied on older players, often with diminishing values and didn't much care for the academy

I thoroughly enjoyed the Redknapp reign, but let's not compare a rag tag bunch of players "running about a bit" and getting one year in the champions league to 4 consecutive seasons of it, 2 title challenges, 2 FA Cup semi finals, a league cup semi and a final and a champions league final.

What Redknapp did wasn't what Levy wanted. He relied on older players, often with diminishing values and didn't much care for the academy
They can, have and will cope without one another.

Levy has been here 4 times as long as Poch.

No club will ever achieve consistent champions league qualification, or indeed regular premier league titles without “ buying their way” to success. It started with the Russian at Chelsea and continues to day in Manchester. Your so called “right way” is nothing but a fairy tale.

When did Mr. Levy discuss his five year building blocks with you and where will we be five years from now? Nonsense - if he wasn’t the meddling fucker that he clearly is we would be European champions today!
So your saying football as we have always known it is dead, the only way to succeed is get taken over by a insanely rich owner who is prepared to throw their cash at it? Bollocks.

We have achieved regular CL football without the insanely rich owner so your argument there is moot...

Levy telling me his 5 year building plans, seriously? Is that the only comeback you have got? Any fan can work out for themselves the “obvious” 5 year transition periods we have had, starting back in 2001 to 2019.
Now if we were in the CL from say 2005 to 2010 but haven’t qualified for it since then you might have an argument, but unfortunately for you our trajectory is going in the favour of Levy right now, every 5 years or so we have risen the bar of this club to a higher level, and as for the next 5 years who knows, but the signs are there he wants to raise it even more....

Now come back in 5 years and say we aren’t even in the CL then Levy has definitely run his course, which I mentioned several posts ago, I’m not paying the money he asks anymore without him making some serious effort in recruiting top class players to win us the top prizes our financial outlay demands.

You could also flip that over and say the reason Poch has succeeded with Levy's players is because he has had to and, unlike almost any other manager, hasn't needed hundreds of millions of investment year on year. If Levy wanted a change, it will cost him money he can't comprehend. Poch has been perfect for what Levy wanted, minimum investment, maximum return.
There's also the fact a handful of players could feel alienated if poch was pushed....

So do you still think Levy could cope without Poch?

Reality is that all managers start with the squad that is there when they arrive, and given most managers only stay for say 2 seasons, even when they leave they are probably only responsible for bringing in maybe 25% of the squad (say 6 - 8 players).

The point being made is that Poch after ,5 seasons is still heavily reliant on the players who were here before he arrived - despite the fact he has bought a fair few players not that many make his match day squad and a few have already been sold.

Fact is Poch has shown both at Spurs and Southampton ( eg Osvaldo at both Southampton and Espanol) not that great at buying players.

That's why Poch has done so well with Levy, and needs someone to help him.

Levy though can find another manager if need be

They can, have and will cope without one another.

Levy has been here 4 times as long as Poch.

We have a very mouldable nucleus at the club now. We have everythinin place to continuously grow regardless of who manages the club.

Our squad is the third most valuable in the richest league in the world, with the below website valuing it collectively at nearly £900m:

If we continue being pro-active from top to bottom, continue to take the steps we've taken over the last 5-10 years and don't get flustered we will be fine. Identifying the top players is so much harder than going after those next tier players. The club holds all the cards even if there's a few disgruntled boys amongst our ranks at the moment.

We're in good nick and we have decent money to spend if we need to fall back on it via the prudent ways our chairman has adhered to, the very same ones he gets scrutinised for.

2x £50m+ deals negotiated for and completed this summer, another £60m+ deal we tried to get over the line and one a £25m+ wonderkid lumped on in the summer, I really struggle to see what more they think he can do without putting us in barmy club categories.

If Levy lumps up that kind of dough each year on transfers from here on in I'd be over the moon. With what Poch was saying he could easily go and do more in January so the money men this summer have definitely stuck to their side of the bargain whilst bleeding god knows how much money due to the stadium delays.

I want Levy to stay , of course I do but just like Poch his made mistakes that I hope they both start learning from.

A few things i'd love for the club to consider..

A sporting director. Transfers are clearly an issue, especially outgoing and to be honest you have to question the head scout as I can't remember the last time we picked up a gem. I'd like us to improve at identifying and securing realistic targets whilst also moving on players at a much quicker rate. Wanyama for example should have been gone months ago. It leaves us with a squad full of unsettled players which whether you love, hate or are indifferent to Poch, surely you must see how that creates a poor energy in the group.

That sporting director would also hopefully build the scouting network up so that we improve on our outgoing loans. Too often our players don't get games when they go out on loan, making these deals pretty pointless.

A new coach for the first team. The quote from the unnamed player about training going stale got me thinking. Ferguson would often refresh his assistant whether through choice or necessity. I bet this created a fresh feel in training as it brought in a new method and point of view. I know Poch and his team are really really close so it would have to be an addition but if you could persuade them it might be a new solution.

So your saying football as we have always known it is dead, the only way to succeed is get taken over by a insanely rich owner who is prepared to throw their cash at it? Bollocks.

No mate, you’re talking bollocks. I still watch premier league football because of [spurs] but I know very many that don’t give it even a glance;real football for them being second, third and fourth tier football. Don’t delude yourself that this league is the real deal anymore - real football died years ago with the advent of “ premier league” over Division one and the European Champions competition where runners up, third a four place all qualify to play!

Don’t talk to me about “the real way” or a five year plan as it is all bollocks!

No mate, you’re talking bollocks. I still watch premier league football because of [spurs] but I know very many that don’t give it even a glance;real football for them being second, third and fourth tier football. Don’t delude yourself that this league is the real deal anymore - real football died years ago with the advent of “ premier league” over Division one and the European Champions competition where runners up, third a four place all qualify to play!

Don’t talk to me about “the real way” or a five year plan as it is all bollocks!
And yet here you are, demanding we get an owner in who can super fund us and fast track us to glory in order to win the very thing you say is now dead.

We have a very mouldable nucleus at the club now. We have everythinin place to continuously grow regardless of who manages the club.

Our squad is the third most valuable in the richest league in the world, with the below website valuing it collectively at nearly £900m:

If we continue being pro-active from top to bottom, continue to take the steps we've taken over the last 5-10 years and don't get flustered we will be fine. Identifying the top players is so much harder than going after those next tier players. The club holds all the cards even if there's a few disgruntled boys amongst our ranks at the moment.

We're in good nick and we have decent money to spend if we need to fall back on it via the prudent ways our chairman has adhered to, the very same ones he gets scrutinised for.

2x £50m+ deals negotiated for and completed this summer, another £60m+ deal we tried to get over the line and one a £25m+ wonderkid lumped on in the summer, I really struggle to see what more they think he can do without putting us in barmy club categories.

If Levy lumps up that kind of dough each year on transfers from here on in I'd be over the moon. With what Poch was saying he could easily go and do more in January so the money men this summer have definitely stuck to their side of the bargain whilst bleeding god knows how much money due to the stadium delays.

If Levy lumps up that kind of dough is the key part of that post, nothing to suggest he will.

Personally I believe Dybala was always a smokescreen.

And yet here you are, demanding we get an owner in who can super fund us and fast track us to glory in order to win the very thing you say is now dead.

You’re talking bollocks again as I’ve said nothing about the owners other than the head honcho being a meddling cunt. You likely imagined I commented on the owners rather as you imagined your five year block plan!

They're the resident trolls - fans of other clubs posing as Spurs fans - no sane Spurs fan would want to get rid of the most successful CEO in the EPL .... his job is to move the business forward even a complete idiot can't deny that he's done that.
Nobody is arguing he's not been succesful in driving the business forward. No one.
But I thought we were football fans.
And this is the crux of the matter isnt it. He drives profits ahead of trophies.
In the summer of 2018 we became the first club, Ever, in any of the top European leages to not spend a penny improving the squad.
While at the same time announcing world record breaking profits.

Tottenham announce world-record profits of £112.9m driven by player trading and Wembley crowds

Considering Poch was left to pick up the pieces of that shameful window, along with so many of our top players idly running down their contracts, I think its unfair that he should be the one taking all the bullets.

Nobody is arguing he's not been succesful in driving the business forward. No one.
But I thought we were football fans.
And this is the crux of the matter isnt it. He drives profits ahead of trophies.
In the summer of 2018 we became the first club, Ever, in any of the top European leages to not spend a penny improving the squad.
While at the same time announcing world record breaking profits.

Tottenham announce world-record profits of £112.9m driven by player trading and Wembley crowds

Considering Poch was left to pick up the pieces of that shameful window, along with so many of our top players idly running down their contracts, I think its unfair that he should be the one taking all the bullets.
The fact you haven't shut up about Levy completely ruins your own point that Poch is taking all the bullets.

You've been firing on Levy and ENIC for over half a decade.

You moaned the year we came 2nd after predicting we'd come 8th-11th.

Imagine, for a second, predicting we'd come 8th-11th. Then when we finish 2nd, still moaning.

Then, moaning about a lack of ambition.

:pocheyes:

Last edited:
Levy

Positives:

- Stabilised our financial position.
- Helped drive wonderful infrastructure development, best in the land.
- Gradual move up the footballing chain while controlling wages with low investment model (essentially having to work under strict Joe Lewis budget) and achieving very good results.

Negatives

- poor trophy record.
- transfer model does sometimes look like it undermines the manager. Not selling players because price not meet or not meeting the price. When the team is close to glory we always seem to fall short irrespective of manager, combination of bad luck but also not strengthening at the required time IMO.

I’d probably give him a good 8/10.

There is no question in my view this model has worked best under a manager like Poch and without him these last four years it could have gone tits up a bit with the strain of the stadium and budget. In the new reality post stadium I believe for Levy to continue he will need to adapt his style in the transfer market if we are to go to the next level just as Poch will need to adapt his management style. It will be interesting to watch.
Hallelujah, a sensible post amongst the dross and name calling. Thank you

I want Levy to stay , of course I do but just like Poch his made mistakes that I hope they both start learning from.

A few things i'd love for the club to consider..

A sporting director. Transfers are clearly an issue, especially outgoing and to be honest you have to question the head scout as I can't remember the last time we picked up a gem. I'd like us to improve at identifying and securing realistic targets whilst also moving on players at a much quicker rate. Wanyama for example should have been gone months ago. It leaves us with a squad full of unsettled players which whether you love, hate or are indifferent to Poch, surely you must see how that creates a poor energy in the group.

That sporting director would also hopefully build the scouting network up so that we improve on our outgoing loans. Too often our players don't get games when they go out on loan, making these deals pretty pointless.

A new coach for the first team. The quote from the unnamed player about training going stale got me thinking. Ferguson would often refresh his assistant whether through choice or necessity. I bet this created a fresh feel in training as it brought in a new method and point of view. I know Poch and his team are really really close so it would have to be an addition but if you could persuade them it might be a new solution.

Some good points about the DOF and a coach but would Poch allow them?

The fact you haven't shut up about Levy completely ruins your own point that Poch is taking all the bullets.

You've been firing on Levy and ENIC for over half a decade.

You moaned the year we came 2nd after predicting we'd come 8th-11th.

Imagine, for a second, predicting we'd come 8th-11th. Then when we finish 2nd, still moaning.

Then, moaning about a lack of ambition.

:pocheyes:

Apparently the manager did nothing wrong in the CL final.

But it was the chairman’s fault we lost it.

Scenes

You’re talking bollocks again as I’ve said nothing about the owners other than the head honcho being a meddling cunt. You likely imagined I commented on the owners rather as you imagined your five year block plan!
The 5 year block is there, it’s real, it happened🙄.....

You went on a rant about that tit that owns Chelsea and wishing you had him did you not?

Back
Top Bottom