Match thread: Reading vs Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

NandM said:
Thought Vertonghen was immense yesterday. Won both aerial and ground tackles comfortably and always looks to build attacks from the back rather than the long punt forward. I having a feeling this guy is going to be great for us. :vert:
I love Vertonghen. He didn't bail on the transfer here when Harry was sacked, and was patient through the entire process. He seems to really want to be at Spurs and is a fucking quality player. I miss Ledley, but Vertonghen eases the pain just a bit.

jimmyriggle said:
didnt manage to watch the game today as was working up in edinburgh. Just seen match of the day and we looked sexy as fuck. Ok reading were shit and short of match fitness but dont underestimate the importance of the team getting that first win under the new man. If he gets them performing like this more often their trust and respect for him will grow and grow.

(although not sure about that weird, girly blue bracelet AVB wears. Anyone else clock that?)
They're his anal beads :sandro: :gazza2:

Delighted with the performance all round.

You can argue "It's only Reading" til you are blue in the face but the fact remains that we notched our first premier league win under AVB, got some points on the board and got the media off our back.

Some defensive tweaks needed though, we looked a little sloppy at times and got pushed back when Le Fondre came on, but overall that's areas we can work on and improve for our next game.

COYS.

kangar said:

You can argue "It's only Reading" til you are blue in the face but the fact remains that we notched our first premier league win under AVB, got some points on the board and got the media off our back.

Some defensive tweaks needed though, we looked a little sloppy at times and got pushed back when Le Fondre came on, but overall that's areas we can work on and improve for our next game.

COYS.

Agreed. So much for the highline, we were defending on our six yard box for 15 minutes in the second half....

Blanchflower said:
kangar said:

COYS.

Agreed. So much for the highline, we were defending on our six yard box for 15 minutes in the second half....

dont need to defend high up the pitch when your 2 or more goals up, with our pace, we actually need to drop deep to get teams like reading to commit men forward, then counter attack. i've seen this idea in avb's thinking but against wba and norwich we didnt exploit them at all and were a bit too defensive in our line up. yesterdays team will do, and will give better teams than reading problems working us out. important that if dembele's out, we keep the same system, use hudds as straight replacement, because this system uses our pace and passing to its maximum potential.
still have issues with defending set pieces, but a few more conceded goals will sort that out.

Chaps - soz, might already have been posted in this thread (or was it twitter) but anyone got any screen grabs of AVB celebrating?

spooky said:
Chaps - soz, might already have been posted in this thread (or was it twitter) but anyone got any screen grabs of AVB celebrating?

Eperones did.

i5R11.gif

6aOy9.gif

NO1JIB said:
dont need to defend high up the pitch when your 2 or more goals up, with our pace, we actually need to drop deep to get teams like reading to commit men forward, then counter attack. i've seen this idea in avb's thinking but against wba and norwich we didnt exploit them at all and were a bit too defensive in our line up. yesterdays team will do, and will give better teams than reading problems working us out. important that if dembele's out, we keep the same system, use hudds as straight replacement, because this system uses our pace and passing to its maximum potential.
still have issues with defending set pieces, but a few more conceded goals will sort that out.

We were doing it at 0-1, inviting too much pressure.

We got away with it but won't every week.

Not sure if this has been mentioned and sure it has but Dembele and Sandro were superb yesterday. The difference it makes having Dembele in place of Livermore was instantaneous. If those two are to be our two central players I have no problem with that at all.

Sigurdsson suffered yesterday; his passing was off, aside from that wonderful through ball to Lennon. He also dithered a lot, breaking down momentum but I wonder if that is his ideal position? I suspect Dempsey will play Thursday.

That goal at the end cost my Telegraph Fantasy Football Tinkerman team 45 points.

Back
Top Bottom