Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You must read some interesting stuff ... negativity is good? well despite what Tori Rodriguez had to say the vast majority of psychotherapists would not agree ...

Negativity serves little purpose ... constructive comment does

Poch is a cunt for playing the diamond, he's learn't nothing and he can't get the best out of players, maybe he's a dead end.

or

Poch should use the diamond formation less, he can clearly see that the players are still adapting and that this formation has reduced our ability to press, to get the best out of the players whilst the new boys acclimatise he either needs for them to understand their roles in the diamond better, or to switch them back to what worked last season.

How is the negativity better than the constructive?
If you knew how to read perhaps these arguments would be going better for you. He did not say negativity has a positive impact on the brain but the opposite. His point was that deluding and rationalizing yourself into believing something that is not logical out of some sort of over positive hope is equally harmful as doing the same but in the negative way.

What's the point of arguing against honesty because the truth makes you feel bad things in your tummy?

As someone who experienced healthy attachment as a child and developed coping mechanisms that allow me to face even the facts that I don't like in life people like you really fascinate me.

You can keep trying to be positive every single minute about the team and pretend that even a humiliating defeat is just great and despite players and Poch literally coming out and saying things arent right you can pretend it's not real but it's simply self delusion.

Especially when there's no outstanding obvious candidate to take over.

Allegri is a serial winner at the highest level and is currently unemployed, if we keep on losing matches he will become a serious option, especially if Real come back for Poch. We’d get a big fee from them which could be used on transfers with Allegri joining for free.

I want Poch to turn things around but sometimes it just isn’t possible. The feeling I get is similar to Klopp’s departure from Dortmund, he’s got everything he can out of his players and it’s just time to change. It doesn’t mean he’s done anything wrong or is a bad manager. Some players want to move on, some players have aged, the tactics and selections have become predictable, we lost the biggest game in the history of Tottenham just 3 months ago etc.

Losing that CL final the way we did was a devastating blow for the entire Tottenham family, it may be that without a change in manager we will never really get over it. To me it feels like Poch is still digesting that result and doesn’t have the same passion he did before. As fans we are starting to get irritated seeing him do the same things over and over again and perhaps the players are too.

A new manager suddenly gets everyone excited because we don’t know how they are going to play, who they are going to select, how they are going to talk to the media, we are excited just to see the team sheet. Capturing that feeling is very hard for any manager who has been in place for half a decade, Poch has to be brave and give us something different if he wants things to change. 9 months of this 442 diamond with our sluggish midfield has taken us to the bottom of the form table but he’s not reacting.

If you knew how to read perhaps these arguments would be going better for you. He did not say negativity has a positive impact on the brain but the opposite. His point was that deluding and rationalizing yourself into believing something that is not logical out of some sort of over positive hope is equally harmful as doing the same but in the negative way.

What's the point of arguing against honesty because the truth makes you feel bad things in your tummy?

As someone who experienced healthy attachment as a child and developed coping mechanisms that allow me to face even the facts that I don't like in life people like you really fascinate me.

You can keep trying to be positive every single minute about the team and pretend that even a humiliating defeat is just great and despite players and Poch literally coming out and saying things arent right you can pretend it's not real but it's simply self delusion.

Read this it will make your day - they say misery loves company - honesty and truth from manic football fans? try line dancing or knitting if that's your thing.

Punkish Pochettino nears end of Tottenham era that never quite was | Barney Ronay

Here's how it is in the real world - All gooners are cunts, all spammers are cunts, all chavs are cunts ... Spurs are the dogs dangles and biased fuck the truth fans are right behind the club as they always will be win, lose or draw ... off to the pub now to watch the game, wish I was there

Probably best you go do some needlepoint and have a few group hugs .... there's a lovely fellow

You must read some interesting stuff ... negativity is good? well despite what Tori Rodriguez had to say the vast majority of psychotherapists would not agree ...

Negativity serves little purpose ... constructive comment does

Honest question, do you think people shouldn’t have a negative attitude to say fascists?
Just a bit of constructive critique to tell them why the KKK is a bad thing. Can I call them bad?

Trying to think positively here about them.....
Nope....sorry just cant spin “fucking Scum” into something good.

Or is this mantra of yours just football related but outside of that it’s the polar opposite?

Or could it be that every positive outlook has a negative consequence somewhere else:
As in, your 100% positive attitude for Poch means a negative attitude towards change.

You haven’t thought this through have you

Honest question, do you think people shouldn’t have a negative attitude to say fascists?
Just a bit of constructive critique to tell them why the KKK is a bad thing. Can I call them bad?

Trying to think positively here about them.....
Nope....sorry just cant spin “fucking Scum” into something good.

Or is this mantra of yours just football related but outside of that it’s the polar opposite?

Or could it be that every positive outlook has a negative consequence somewhere else:
As in, your 100% positive attitude for Poch means a negative attitude towards change.

You haven’t thought this through have you
Well hear hear.

I've had enough of you ruffians stirring the pot. Brexit can't be helped and racism is the fault of the education system not me. In my day we were beaten around the legs for suggesting the world wasn't flat.

I like what Poch is saying here, my biggest fear was that he has lost his passion with everything that has happened, he looked like a broken man during the cup tie, my biggest fear was even he had given up.

This interview doesn't sound like a man who has given up, it sounds like a man who is in a shit situation because he has been left with a squad similar to the one he inherited when he first moved here, filled with some unmotivated players that are negatively having an impact on others.

That's why, I believe, he needs to drop those players entirely from the squad if that is indeed the case, just like he did when he moved here.

My other fear is that Levy and ENIC will not fund a squad rebuild, replacing these players will not be cheap but it seems like that's what needs to happen if we want to get the best from Poch.
Yeah the thing is, even if we were started well this season. Top 4 & CL final again would be amazing with this squad. No new manager is going to come in & win us the title or CL with these players I'm afraid. City & liverpool are simply better.

Allegri is a serial winner at the highest level and is currently unemployed, if we keep on losing matches he will become a serious option, especially if Real come back for Poch. We’d get a big fee from them which could be used on transfers with Allegri joining for free.

I want Poch to turn things around but sometimes it just isn’t possible. The feeling I get is similar to Klopp’s departure from Dortmund, he’s got everything he can out of his players and it’s just time to change. It doesn’t mean he’s done anything wrong or is a bad manager. Some players want to move on, some players have aged, the tactics and selections have become predictable, we lost the biggest game in the history of Tottenham just 3 months ago etc.

Losing that CL final the way we did was a devastating blow for the entire Tottenham family, it may be that without a change in manager we will never really get over it. To me it feels like Poch is still digesting that result and doesn’t have the same passion he did before. As fans we are starting to get irritated seeing him do the same things over and over again and perhaps the players are too.

A new manager suddenly gets everyone excited because we don’t know how they are going to play, who they are going to select, how they are going to talk to the media, we are excited just to see the team sheet. Capturing that feeling is very hard for any manager who has been in place for half a decade, Poch has to be brave and give us something different if he wants things to change. 9 months of this 442 diamond with our sluggish midfield has taken us to the bottom of the form table but he’s not reacting.
Some good points. But whether Allegri would do well with us or in the premiership is a big maybe. & if we got top 4 with him, I'd say good job. But then it's the same old problem with key players etc not being as excited by top 4 again as we are.

I like what Poch is saying here, my biggest fear was that he has lost his passion with everything that has happened, he looked like a broken man during the cup tie, my biggest fear was even he had given up.

This interview doesn't sound like a man who has given up, it sounds like a man who is in a shit situation because he has been left with a squad similar to the one he inherited when he first moved here, filled with some unmotivated players that are negatively having an impact on others.

That's why, I believe, he needs to drop those players entirely from the squad if that is indeed the case, just like he did when he moved here.

My other fear is that Levy and ENIC will not fund a squad rebuild, replacing these players will not be cheap but it seems like that's what needs to happen if we want to get the best from Poch.

Why does he keep feeling the need to say anything at all ? Keep it indoors, or is it meant to make Levy feel uncomfortable and possibly loosen the purse strings ?. Nearly every day now there's a new statement from Poch about the situation at the club. Do wish he'd just get on with the job he's paid to do.

I assume from this he's effectively saying to Daniel, "Let's do it all again, another 5 year project". Hmmm, I'm not quite sure if Mr.Levy is willing to sign up for another Poch campaign. I still think he's hanging on to his pot of gold as a tempter for someone else in case things worsen between now and Christmas.

Last edited:
Why does he keep feeling the need to say anything at all ? Keep it indoors, or is it meant to make Levy feel uncomfortable and possibly loosen the purse strings ?. Nearly every day now there's a new statement from Poch about the situation at the club. Do wish he'd just get on with the job he's paid to do.

I assume from this he's effectively saying to Daniel, "Let's do it all again, another 5 year project". Hmmm, I'm not quite sure if Mr.Levy is willing to sign up for another Poch campaign. I still think he's hanging on to his pot of gold as a tempter for someone else in case things worsen between now and Christmas.

Does my head in too, but in truth he faces the press 4/5 times a week.... Every time they come loaded with mischievous questions; happy to twist the answers to fit whatever narrative they are keen to peddle.

Always best to watch the original conference videos than to give credence to the shite the meddlesome media present as news.

Last edited:
Does my head in too, but in truth he faces the press 4/5 times a week.... Every time they come loaded with mischievous questions; happy to twist the answers to fit whatever narrative they are keen to peddle.

Always best to watch the original conference videos that to give credence to the shite the meddlesome media present as news.
I understand the pressure he's under my friend, but why do we not see similar regular statements from the other managers ?. How often do Pep or Klopp 'spill the beans' about internal affairs / meetings/ rebuilds ?
The media know he will respond to their questions with more than a one sentence curt and non-informative reply and so they pester him for more headlines. He really does seem to put his head in the Lion's mouth.

I understand the pressure he's under my friend, but why do we not see similar regular statements from the other managers ?. How often do Pep or Klopp 'spill the beans' about internal affairs / meetings/ rebuilds ?
The media know he will respond to their questions with more than a one sentence curt and non-informative reply and so they pester him for more headlines. He really does seem to put his head in the Lion's mouth.

Media's got the bit between their teeth... It's not exclusive to us...

The reporting of his "agenda" comments has already been called into question by him though....

The "Head coach" thing was also another clumsy expression that they seized upon.

...But yeh, there has been a couple of occasions over the last 6 months where he's voluntarily made comments which have gifted them an angle ("I would have left if we won the CL" being an obvious one).

Edit: Can't win... Many of the same people complaining here would moan just as much if he came out every few days and said "All is fine; nothing to see here".

Last edited:

Always best to watch the original conference videos than to give credence to the shite the meddlesome media present as news.
Poch loves that excuse - the media "spin" his words. But in reality he says things that are obviously incendiary and disruptive and when he didn't get the intended fan reaction he pretends the papers took his words out of context or something.

Does anyone really fall for it?

Agree with everything. I've been thinking a lot about how much of a task it is to prevent stagnation setting in after that length of time. I'm sure most of us lose the spark for our jobs eventually and this is what's happening at Tottenham. I often wonder how Alex Ferguson kept the drive to maintain success for so long

Poch loves that excuse - the media "spin" his words. But in reality he says things that are obviously incendiary and disruptive and when he didn't get the intended fan reaction he pretends the papers took his words out of context or something.

Does anyone really fall for it?

You're talking about a guy that STILL has to consult an interpreter before answering a lot of their questions....

He tries to talk fancy and philosophical; sometimes and it backfires.

...That's not saying he's not said some troublesome/unnecessary stuff too tho' (See subsequent post above).

Agree with everything. I've been thinking a lot about how much of a task it is to prevent stagnation setting in after that length of time. I'm sure most of us lose the spark for our jobs eventually and this is what's happening at Tottenham. I often wonder how Alex Ferguson kept the drive to maintain success for so long

Win trophy; buy fancy new toys from the top shelf... Go again. Dominance becomes it's own motivator after a while.... A new upstart challenger every now and again helps keep things fresh too... (Blackburn > Newcastle > Arse > Chavs > City over the years...)

Back
Top Bottom