Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Worried no, as it was the opener and Schneiderlin said it took the Saints squad a good six months before they feel they fully understood his tactics and philosophy. Concerned to see some of the same lapses in mentality, yes. But I think with time and as things become more settled, those things should be ironed out.

I thought that at Schalke the team showed that pressing that we all expected. What happened? It was almost completely absent. Sure, we saw hints of it, but nowhere near what I expected to see. I understand that there is going to be a grace period of sorts, but I did expect to see at least glimmers for everyone on the pitch. Instead, as you said, we saw mental lapses and an uninterested striker.

As far as Rose, Naughton, Lennon and Townsend getting time, I truly don't know who you would put out there instead right now Gibbs. He didn't play the WC returnees because he doesn't believe them to be fully match fit. That's his prerogative. As for a winger, we don't exactly have a plethora of people to choose from.

I thought that at Schalke the team showed that pressing that we all expected. What happened? It was almost completely absent. Sure, we saw hints of it, but nowhere near what I expected to see. I understand that there is going to be a grace period of sorts, but I did expect to see at least glimmers for everyone on the pitch. Instead, as you said, we saw mental lapses and an uninterested striker.

As far as Rose, Naughton, Lennon and Townsend getting time, I truly don't know who you would put out there instead right now Gibbs. He didn't play the WC returnees because he doesn't believe them to be fully match fit. That's his prerogative. As for a winger, we don't exactly have a plethora of people to choose from.

It's true that he didn't really have a choice but to play Naughton, Lennon, and Townsend in that game. Rose I suspect he went with simply for the sake of having a bit more experience with the squad, but who knows. I thought Townsend actually did quite well the first 10 or 15 minutes or so after his introduction, as he forced West Ham's defenders into their box because of his shooting. Whether it's accurate or not, it forces defenders to get in front of him with the ball. So unless we want a nigh cleanout of even the backup players, those guys are going to have to see time.

I think there's a lot of factors at hand for why we didn't press in this one. We seemed to open well, but that mental weakness kicked in once West Ham took over and we took awhile to recover. Just so little urgency, intensity, and sense of responsibility. But an opening game, with a new coach, at Upton Park, after losing to them three times on the trot was always going to be a rough situation. In my book, it was the single worst thing about our schedule when it was released. But we're past it now, we triumphed over it despite all the circumstances, and from here it's only on and up.

I'm more than a little worried. To see rose, naughton, Townsend and Lennon starting/getting time for me is bitterly dissapointing.

It didn't seem like change. More AVB déjàvu of a starved lone striker and diminutive players defending and attacking badly.

Early days of course but I can't shake thee feeling that he's been mugged by Lennon and co when we need ingeligence.
Let's see buddy. You can't keep feeling aggrieved by the same old arguments. We know you don't like/fancy ((c) Harry) certain players. Everyone else has views. We can't all be wrong/right. Ffs- I even think Lennon can do a job for us given time under a system that gives him a new role & different things to think about . You & many others don't. Let's just see. It's all opinions. Like arseholes-we all have one.

These were the who's who of players who dominated the worst player award thread.

It's not like them not being off the pitch is a gulf in class to fill. In fact we played better with Naughton off!

And a 4-2-3-1 does not need classic wingers.

As for your 'I truly don't know' who you would put out there:

Rose - Ben Davies
Naughton - Kaboul (in retrospect Dier but I'm not about to pretend I knew he could play there).
Lennon - Kane
Sub Townsend - Holtby

Kaboul played right back when we shut out City away from home to get us CL football. I noticed a few people who suggested that in the past got laughed at but IMO the people laughing have been watching spurs since Ted Lasso managed us.

Rose - Ben Davies
Naughton - Kaboul (in retrospect Dier but I'm not about to pretend I knew he could play there).
Lennon - Kane
Sub Townsend - Holtby

So your lineup would have been

Lloris
Kaboul Dier no one Davies
Capoue Bentaleb
Lamela Eriksen Kane
Adebayor

And Kane would've come off for Holtby, and Lamela would've come off for who? Townsend and Lennon? Adebayor off for Soldado?

You would have been stuck with a left wing that can't dribble past a soul (as opposed to Lennon, which is the one thing the man truly shines at), and giant hole in the back, you'd bring on subs that you hate (cause there aren't any other options), and Soldado.

I can certainly say that the game would've been much much different!

Let's see buddy. You can't keep feeling aggrieved by the same old arguments. We know you don't like/fancy ((c) Harry) certain players. Everyone else has views. We can't all be wrong/right. Ffs- I even think Lennon can do a job for us given time under a system that gives him a new role & different things to think about . You & many others don't. Let's just see. It's all opinions. Like arseholes-we all have one.

I keep feeling aggrieved because of St Totteringhams day. It physically causes me to suffer from tension.

If I see the slow lidded eyes of Naughton flopping around and Rose and Townsend head down glory hunting along with Lennon being swapped between positions like he always does because he can't link up with any of our strikers...I can't see that future being different.

Naughton getting sent off is history repeating. It's a miracle we won and I went ballistic. And it's not because Bentaleb linked up with Kane who linked up with another 6+ footer to score.

It's not that physical players linked up to score which has been my mantra that made me go ballistic.

It's not because youth linked up like I suggested it could in the home grown debacle thread that got me banned because I was told I can't replace the lennons, Townsends, roses of the team due to the foreign rule, where I claimed the Kane's and Bentalebs were not risks and better bets than the wingdingz that fucked is all season.

I don't go ballistic to get one up on forums to 5 or 6 Americans who think im a troll because their equivalents on other forums banned me because I bring up the history line I am bringing up now.

I never drop arguments because the same soft spurs thread keeps being carried on by our managers.

The posters who clash with me change, but these managers seem to keep me in the same arguments because they maintain a soft core of entertaining players like Townsend, Lennon, Rose, Defoe, Bentley etc and compound it by mixing in potential world class players (Modric, GDS, berbatov, Ginola, bale Etc) who get no favors or anything resembling a platform because the players next to them are Dominguez, Townsend, Ruel fox or other shiny objects.

I'm fucking pissed off because I'm staring at another season where people will tell me that I'm a troll, even though my opinion on what would get us shoring up the back and scoring goals has NEVER been tried.

But most of all it's st Totteringhams day that gets me in bulldog mode.

I'll be a nice, humble person when I'm not bitter and twisted from gooner wankers laughing at us season after season.

I'll be a nice humble person if a manager plays my style for a season and fails horribly so I can put my sad crusade to bed knowing that I wasted my time. Haha.

Anyone a little worried about the fact that we didn't seem to be using the "Poch tactics" at all against West Ham?

Not worried at this stage...

Especially when we had a man sent off pretty early. West Ham were always going to come at us like it was the CL Final the sad twats but we never got to see what our approach would be once we got a real foot in the game.

People have slated Lennon a bit, yet how exactly did they expect him to bomb down the wing and create when he was clearly playing a defensive role, and working tirelessly to track back every time..?

Eriksen and Lamela, shown very well on MOTD by Guillet, were really clumsy and making poor choices the whole game in fact, but again, with the 10 men, it all changed for them.

On top of that, No Sandro, Dembele, Walker or Vertonghen.

United have the same problem - they have a pretty crap squad. Moyes bought that fucking donkey Fellaini. He bitches about who he really wanted to sign but the fact is... He inherited a mediocre squad with a big reputation.& bought a plum. LVG has now fucked up cos of his ego. Big club, huge expectations, almost same squad only with brick head as captain. He should have stayed where he was, come to spurs or fucked off after the WC what a block headed cunt

Yeah the squads shit, fergie left them in an absolute state which is quite funny. My city is full of plastics who support utd and it's unreal how many of them think they're gonna get top 3 or win the league. Just for the record I hope van gaal gets sacked after finishing 7th again :levylol:

I think the high pressing will be effective against teams that keep possession and build fairly slowly from deep.

The problem will be those who play clever long balls that release runners. That's pretty much how the teams that finished above us play against teams that press. So sadly, we may again struggle against them this season.

As against the spammers, we may also encounter problems with the long ball hoofers. Not too many of those dinosaurs left but we're likely to encounter it if teams are are struggling to get out or break us down in midfield.

So I'm a bit apprehensive but if Poch can mix up the high pressing with some flexibility and unpredictability, we 'll do well.

I like the way he changed things quickly on Saturday, keeping our attacking options available. That's a good sign and a welcome change from our previous two managers' apparent cluelessness regarding in-game management and responsiveness.

A big part of the problem on Saturday was the lessened effectiveness of high pressure football against a team like West Ham.

When you press high and in numbers it is because you try and force mistakes at the back for the opposition, reduce their passing options and make them give up possession, either through a misplaced pass or resorting to a long ball forward that your defence can mop up.

With an Allardyce West Ham team however they are not resorting to playing a percentage ball forward, that is their primary tactical outlook. They want to hit the ball long for Cole (and later the pace of Valencia) to compete for it. In a way you play directly into their hands.

In the end you just have to accept that you will give up the advantage your system gives you against more orthodox footballing sides and trust that your defence is better than the opposition attack and you will take the chances you create. Even with the further complication of the numerical disadvantage this proved to be the case on Saturday. I'm not too worried. AEL and QPR should be be better representations of where the progress on the system at the moment is. QPR's 3-5-2 especially will be interesting since our shifting front line should be able to drag the wide centre backs out to the channels very well.

I think the high pressing will be effective against teams that keep possession and build fairly slowly from deep.

The problem will be those who play clever long balls that release runners. That's pretty much how the teams that finished above us play against teams that press. So sadly, we may again struggle against them this season.

As against the spammers, we may also encounter problems with the long ball hoofers. Not too many of those dinosaurs left but we're likely to encounter it if teams are are struggling to get out or break us down in midfield.

So I'm a bit apprehensive but if Poch can mix up the high pressing with some flexibility and unpredictability, we 'll do well.

I like the way he changed things quickly on Saturday, keeping our attacking options available. That's a good sign and a welcome change from our previous two managers' apparent cluelessness regarding in-game management and responsiveness.
Was just going to post this.
I've only seen highlights but I imagine poch was wary of the threat from long/direct balls from the back when our whole team is squeezing up the pitch. Especially with 10 men.

This is precisely how we lost to them 3-0 last year. Lazy journalists have created this myth that we were completely outplayed. Quite the contrary. I was at that game and I've never seen a side put in a shittter performance and still win 3-0. They were fucking dreadful. We got done by a dodgy defensive line and our complete inability to pick out a final ball and finish in attacking areas.

Pressing with 10 men would've been suicide.

Or murder....

article-2549241-1B07391B00000578-787_634x357.jpg

Sandro+Slaps+Himself.gif

857368606.gif

I keep feeling aggrieved because of St Totteringhams day. It physically causes me to suffer from tension.
If I see the slow lidded eyes of Naughton flopping around and Rose and Townsend head down glory hunting along with Lennon being swapped between positions like he always does because he can't link up with any of our strikers...I can't see that future being different.

Naughton getting sent off is history repeating. It's a miracle we won and I went ballistic. And it's not because Bentaleb linked up with Kane who linked up with another 6+ footer to score.

It's not that physical players linked up to score which has been my mantra that made me go ballistic.

It's not because youth linked up like I suggested it could in the home grown debacle thread that got me banned because I was told I can't replace the lennons, Townsends, roses of the team due to the foreign rule, where I claimed the Kane's and Bentalebs were not risks and better bets than the wingdingz that fucked is all season.

I don't go ballistic to get one up on forums to 5 or 6 Americans who think im a troll because their equivalents on other forums banned me because I bring up the history line I am bringing up now.

I never drop arguments because the same soft spurs thread keeps being carried on by our managers.

The posters who clash with me change, but these managers seem to keep me in the same arguments because they maintain a soft core of entertaining players like Townsend, Lennon, Rose, Defoe, Bentley etc and compound it by mixing in potential world class players (Modric, GDS, berbatov, Ginola, bale Etc) who get no favors or anything resembling a platform because the players next to them are Dominguez, Townsend, Ruel fox or other shiny objects.

I'm fucking pissed off because I'm staring at another season where people will tell me that I'm a troll, even though my opinion on what would get us shoring up the back and scoring goals has NEVER been tried.

But most of all it's st Totteringhams day that gets me in bulldog mode.

I'll be a nice, humble person when I'm not bitter and twisted from gooner wankers laughing at us season after season.

I'll be a nice humble person if a manager plays my style for a season and fails horribly so I can put my sad crusade to bed knowing that I wasted my time. Haha.
We all feel that pain. It's Spursy. If you were getting paid thousands a week & millions a year for your game plans & tactical genius then we would support you as our saviour. But all we are on here are shit kickers with opinions. I read your opinions mate- some I agree with, some I don't. But I don't ever launch Into the kind of crusades you do. At least I don't think I do. It's a forum to share thoughts & ideas. Nothing should ever become personal. I don't know why it should ever be thought of as a one man war against anyone who disagrees. Peace out brother Gibbs. You are spurs. So are we.

Back
Top Bottom