Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Being a footballer journalist is quite possibly the easiest job in the world. Ask standard questions & then make stuff up or over sensationalise any quote.

It's a tough one.

If a journalist attacks too aggressive a question Poch can turn around to the PR manager and say "I don't want to see him here ever again". Fergie did it several times and had the media in his pocket as a result. At this point the journalist has basically lost his main source of info and job post...

I agree though. I'd rather an interesting question rather than something entirely bland and standard. But as Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi says, even if you ask an interesting question Poch will simply blunt the answer to the point of making it irrelevant.

Here's a random worry.

Like most, I was thoroughly enjoying United's, and Mourinho's, failings over the past week or so – until I remembered how sweet on Pochettino Ferguson is...

Imagine the scene: End of this season, Spurs 3rd, Utd 5th. Mourinho walks, or is sacked. Who do they turn to? They've tried big-name managers in LVG (historical reputation) and Mourinho (modern era superstar manager), will they try this yet again with an Ancelloti or Simeone, or will they go down the up-and-coming / huge-potential route? Remember, it was (loosely) this model that Fergie sided with when they got Moyes, only Moyes hadn't recently contested a title race with thrilling attacking football, like Poch.

If I permit myself to really dive headfirst into conspiracy, imagine that lunch date Pochettino had with Ferguson last summer saw Fergie say something like this: "Look, the United board and marketing suits are insisting on a big name superstar, global markets and all that. So it's that Mourinho up next to keep them quiet. But between you and me, I don't like the guy, and knowing the Club and the Game as I do, I'm telling you he'll walk or be got rid of within a season – then, you two [remember Perez was at the meeting too, which seemed odd at the time] will have my full blessing. Just give it a year and the gig's yours. I mean, do you really wanna spend the 17-18 season struggling at Wembley?'

If we finish above United, they'll steal our manager. Discuss.

Here's a random worry
– until I remembered how sweet on Pochettino Ferguson is...
Imagine the scene: End of this season, Spurs 3rd, Utd 5th. Mourinho walks, or is sacked. Who do they turn to? They've tried big-name managers in LVG (historical reputation) and Mourinho (modern era superstar manager), will they try this yet again with an Ancelloti or Simeone, or will they go down the up-and-coming / huge-potential route? Remember, it was (loosely) this model that Fergie sided with when they got Moyes, only Moyes hadn't recently contested a title race with thrilling attacking football, like Poch.

If I permit myself to really dive headfirst into conspiracy, imagine that lunch date Pochettino had with Ferguson last summer saw Fergie say something like this: "Look, the United board and marketing suits are insisting on a big name superstar, global markets and all that. So it's that Mourinho up next to keep them quiet. But between you and me, I don't like the guy, and knowing the Club and the Game as I do, I'm telling you he'll walk or be got rid of within a season – then, you two [remember Perez was at the meeting too, which seemed odd at the time] will have my full blessing. Just give it a year and the gig's yours. I mean, do you really wanna spend the 17-18 season struggling at Wembley?'

Puts fingers in ears and closes eyes...
"LA-LA-LA-LAAAAAA-NOT-LISTENING!"

Here's a random worry.

I would put that random worry aside, Manchester United isn't the kind of club he will go to next. He needs to be able to build, Man U in the current state, is a career killer. Man City would be another story with their excellent academy (much as I despise their money doping..)

So, don't worry.

I would put that random worry aside, Manchester United isn't the kind of club he will go to next. He needs to be able to build, Man U in the current state, is a career killer. Man City would be another story with their excellent academy

Hmm, dunno. Rashford and Lingard suggest something goes on at their academy, plus they can always PR it to say with the Class of 92 youth has always been in their blood, the Club is returning to the proud old days etc etc.

Here's a random worry.

Like most, I was thoroughly enjoying United's, and Mourinho's, failings over the past week or so – until I remembered how sweet on Pochettino Ferguson is...

I've had the exact same worry for a while now. Poch has to be the first name on the list if Mourinho carries on struggling. Maybe not this season but the end of next certainly?

It's not that difficult to see the Utd board deciding that they have had enough of pumping money into big name signings and paying off high profile contracts and want to change their system back to a reliance on academy players, as it was the last time they truly had a great team.

Poch is probably the most obvious choice in football at the moment to work with that sort of system. Anyone saying that he wouldn't want to go if given the opportunity at the right time is deluding themselves.

If he can honestly say to himself that he has realistically taken us as far as he can, then why wouldn't he go?

Re. timing, I think this season end is the worry, more than next.

We nearly won the league last season, ended up in 3rd. Any less than that this time out will, mathematically at least, be a backward step. And in spite of all the glory rhetoric, the Wembley season will be tough. Playing away from home the whole season, and the Spurs 'project' might wear a little thin.

If, however, we can hold on to him till summer 2018, the prospect of moving into our new stadium, which will be the pinnacle of his reign with us, and even Old Trafford might not have the same pull.

Here's a random worry.

Just don't worry about it mate, nothing you can control. Focus on the now, it's rare in football to enjoy the present.

Make no mistake Utd want to be us. They have tried to take Lloris, failed. They have tried to take Walker, Failed. They have tried to take Rose, failed. They have tried to take Kane, failed. They have tried to take Poch, failed. They have tried to take McDermott, failed. Their only success has been to take McKenna. There will be other players too that no doubt they will be linked to namely Alli & Dier and if they push on you can add to that list Edwards, Onomah & CCV. We are better than them, play more attractive football, have a British core and they are rightly jealous of what we have.

Hmm, dunno. Rashford and Lingard suggest something goes on at their academy, plus they can always PR it to say with the Class of 92 youth has always been in their blood, the Club is returning to the proud old days etc etc.

There is actually a choice tonnit waste your energy on these things. If you really worry about this, there are plenty of scenarios that I could present you that are more just as likely as this, every one could happen per se. You don't know, but that's life.

There is a very little likelyhood of the above scenario ever happening when you look at Pochettino's career, but there is always a way of making a case for it.

So, worry if you feel for it, but I can't see why letting random worries cloud your day is an option.

As we speak there is zero chance and you can't influence it in any way, so for me, it's a waste of time.

It's a tough one.

If a journalist attacks too aggressive a question Poch can turn around to the PR manager and say "I don't want to see him here ever again". Fergie did it several times and had the media in his pocket as a result. At this point the journalist has basically lost his main source of info and job post...

I agree though. I'd rather an interesting question rather than something entirely bland and standard. But as Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi says, even if you ask an interesting question Poch will simply blunt the answer to the point of making it irrelevant.
Absolutely, and they can be forgiven for keeping managers sweet in a way that political journalists should not (CNN and Clinton).
I do wish they'd ask some more interesting questions about tactics and formations though - especially in the post-match press conferences where they wouldn't be giving anything away.

If we finish above United, they'll steal our manager. Discuss
At this point, our fanbase is like a nervous dog that'll piss on the carpet if someone knocks on the door too loudly.

We have nice things. We just have to try enjoying those nice things rather than live in perpetual fear of having them stolen.

Oh, and at least we're not Southampton.

There is actually a choice tonnit waste your energy on these things. If you really worry about this, there are plenty of scenarios that I could present you that are more just as likely as this, every one could happen per se.

Well I'm not physically pulling my hair out of over it or anything, but football is all about continuity, if we can discuss how our team might develop or succeed in a season, we should also be able discuss less positive scenarios too. Such is life. If not you can write off 95% of most football media, or forum discussions.

Still, nice to have some positive vibes I guess.

Brand New Stadium
Best Training Ground
Best Fans in London
Players queuing up to extend contracts
Best youth policy
Pococino wants commitment from players, so I expect him to finish the job off COYS

Pochettino is very big on Fergie, that's true. But I think as a role model in general.

Going to MUFC would give him an aging squad not fit for his style of play, and MUFC would not tolerate his demands to sell half their key stars because they're not good enough anymore. Pochettino wouldn't tolerate that lack of control.

He clearly admires what Fergie did at MUFC. But I don't think that means he'd go to MUFC as he couldn't emulate those kinds of achievements at that club. He can with Spurs.

I'd be more worried about Barcelona calling than MUFC. And even if he did go, there are options out there to continue the project in the same way. In the medium term in particular, Tuchel stands out as ideal.

For Poch Barca or Real Madrid or Bayern Munich would be something to aim for, I doubt he would got another club in England unless bad things happen here.

Man United is a poison chalice at the moment like the England job, no control, stupid expectations, massive egos. It could bring him down if he went.

Tuchel is a good manager, closer to home Warburton has a similar methodology to Poch admittley working with average Rangers players. If the worst was to happen I would prefer to keep the same ideas going forward.

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino admits he hopes to replicate Arsene Wenger’s longevity at Woolwich.

Pochettino is in his third season at White Hart Lane and signed a new five-year deal in the summer.

The Argentine has placed his faith in youth with Spurs and the club have recently tied down the long-term futures of a host of players.

Wenger celebrates 20 years as Woolwich manager this week, and Pochettino admits he would like to build his own legacy in north London.

“Twenty years in the same place and same club is a big achievement. Today in football, it’s difficult to think about that,” he said.

“Only people with a big personality or big character like him or Ferguson can do that. I think it’s a fantastic achievement. Maybe one day it can happen with us too.”

Pochettino hopes to emulate Wenger at Tottenham - Football365

Taken from reddit:
ndRlBi0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom