Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This... just this is all you need to glean the skewed reporting angle on Spurs...

We're NOT in for him, yet it will CAUSE MUTINY amongst our players if we sign him... which we won't, cos we're not in for him... yet the headline claims our players will cause MUTINY about us signing a player we're not signing.

Wow... This is special

No fair play in the billionaires club with Covid corporate bailouts
  • At last a trophy for Tottenham Hotspur FC. They’ve won the Corona Cup, tapping up the Bank of England for a £175 million soft loan under the Covid corporate financing facility. Will Spurs ever get a better chance for an open-top bus ride?

Still, it’s quite a shock result. The club’s owned by Joe Lewis, the Bahamas-based billionaire apparently worth £4 billion. So, not exactly skint. Since when has he been the target market for the Bank’s virus largesse, even if the wonga’s ostensibly for the new stadium, not José Mourinho’s Harry Kane replacement fund? Cash-strapped Joe’s now got a loan at only 0.5 per cent interest to go with the club’s disgraceful attempt to furlough some of the 550 non-playing staff. How does that fit with fair play rules

Wow... This is special

• At last a trophy for Tottenham Hotspur FC. They’ve won the Corona Cup, tapping up the Bank of England for a £175 million soft loan under the Covid corporate financing facility. Will Spurs ever get a better chance for an open-top bus ride?

Still, it’s quite a shock result. The club’s owned by Joe Lewis, the Bahamas-based billionaire apparently worth £4 billion. So, not exactly skint. Since when has he been the target market for the Bank’s virus largesse, even if the wonga’s ostensibly for the new stadium, not José Mourinho’s Harry Kane replacement fund? Cash-strapped Joe’s now got a loan at only 0.5 per cent interest to go with the club’s disgraceful attempt to furlough some of the 550 non-playing staff. How does that fit with fair play rules

Football club finances seem to upset people so much

These BOE loans are not a particularly difficult concept to understand - the government wants financially strong companies to have the cash flow to enable them to drive growth in the economy....which leads to much higher tax revenues

Football club finances seem to upset people so much

These BOE loans are not a particularly difficult concept to understand - the government wants financially strong companies to have the cash flow to enable them to drive growth in the economy....which leads to much higher tax revenues
My mate was going mad about the furlough we were taking.... He's fairly senior at a company with higher turnover /profit with their staff on furlough since day 1 and they plan on sacking 60%+.

I didn't mention that as it would just cause issues.

My mate was going mad about the furlough we were taking.... He's fairly senior at a company with higher turnover /profit with their staff on furlough since day 1 and they plan on sacking 60%+.

I didn't mention that as it would just cause issues.
How many of their staff do they pay £600,000 PER MONTH. I think that’s the issue that people have.

if it were parito’s principle people might not have been so concerned. But when you’ve got the likes of Ndombele etc. earning the GDP of a small country I can understand the upset.

Wow... This is special

• At last a trophy for Tottenham Hotspur FC.

What an incredibly odd thing for The Times to lead with. Talksport would think twice about such a tired cliche. The entire article was clearly just a vessel for that one line.

Ok. So the writer is one Alistair Osborne. Let's have a quick google shall we...

Now we see why he put this line in " Will Spurs ever get a better chance for an open-top bus ride?"

Modern journalism, everybody.

:harrylol:

How many of their staff do they pay £600,000 PER MONTH. I think that’s the issue that people have.

if it were parito’s principle people might not have been so concerned. But when you’ve got the likes of Ndombele etc. earning the GDP of a small country I can understand the upset.

Football clubs trade in football though, the players are the product, they aren't really normal employees.

Many people including journalists do not understand the difference between cash flow and profits. People and businesses go bust when they run out of money being lack of cash flow. It is like a pensioner living in a big house but not having the income to maintain it. They can sell it and downsize. Which is not an option for Spurs. Their only saleable assets are the players and selling one or more in a depressed market. Unlike the furlough scheme this is a loan and no different to getting cheap credit like a balance transfer on your credit card. woolwich supporting journalists might sneer but it is sensible. It is preferable to telling supporters that it will take months to repay them for their unused tickets for the MU game like the airlines are doing to their customers.

What an incredibly odd thing for The Times to lead with. Talksport would think twice about such a tired cliche. The entire article was clearly just a vessel for that one line.

Ok. So the writer is one Alistair Osborne. Let's have a quick google shall we...

Now we see why he put this line in " Will Spurs ever get a better chance for an open-top bus ride?"

Modern journalism, everybody.

:harrylol:

It was obvious he was a gooner cunt as soon as I saw the photo of him in fairness.

So I see ITV4 are re-running 'The Big Match; re-visited' at the moment during (c) These Strange TimesTM
...and what season have they chosen? 1976/77... the season we went down, and lost or drew pretty much every game they featured us on!

Today's offering, a 3-3 '6 goal thriller' against Everton from October 1976... 3-1 up with 7 minutes to go tells you everything you need to know...
It seems not THAT much has changed in 44 years!!
It follows on from last week's inevitable opening day defeat to Ipswich (Who were, to be fair, pretty good back then)

The thing is, the only other 'Spurs' related offering I've seen on LOCKDOWN 2020 TV was our '87 Cup Final defeat....

I guess they won't show our 3-2 away win at Old Trafford in early September, or the unlikely 1-0 home wins against a decent Ipswich side AND reigning/soon-to-be champions Liverpool that season....??
I guess that footage got lost somewhere on the cutting room floor....

To be fair, I know Sky showed the 1991 FA Cup Semi recently... but it still seems the Nation enjoys seeing Spurs lose more often than seeing us win.... and the media seem only more than happy to oblige!

(Then again, if we hadn't lost so many fucking games in the '70s, there wouldn't be as much grainy tv footage of us losing games in the '70s for them to broadcast... So I guess we're partly to blame!!)

Last edited:
Sky are stating they will add crowd noises and chants. If all I can hear in our first match is Glory, Glory MU then it will go on mute. Another opportunity for the media to show their prejudice.

Sky are stating they will add crowd noises and chants. If all I can hear in our first match is Glory, Glory MU then it will go on mute. Another opportunity for the media to show their prejudice.

I think they should just play Chas N Dave tunes over the footage for 90+ mins.

Geeeerrrrcha!!!

So I see ITV4 are re-running 'The Big Match; re-visited' at the moment during (c) These Strange TimesTM
...and what season have they chosen? 1976/77... the season we went down, and lost or drew pretty much every game they featured us on!

Today's offering, a 3-3 '6 goal thriller' against Everton from October 1976... 3-1 up with 7 minutes to go tells you everything you need to know...
It seems not THAT much has changed in 44 years!!
It follows on from last week's inevitable opening day defeat to Ipswich (Who were, to be fair, pretty good back then)

The thing is, the only other 'Spurs' related offering I've seen on LOCKDOWN 2020 TV was our '87 Cup Final defeat....

I guess they won't show our 3-2 away win at Old Trafford in early September, or the unlikely 1-0 home wins against a decent Ipswich side AND reigning/soon-to-be champions Liverpool that season....??
I guess that footage got lost somewhere on the cutting room floor....

To be fair, I know Sky showed the 1991 FA Cup Semi recently... but it still seems the Nation enjoys seeing Spurs lose more often than seeing us win.... and the media seem only more than happy to oblige!

(Then again, if we hadn't lost so many fucking games in the '70s, there wouldn't be as much grainy tv footage of us losing games in the '70s for them to broadcast... So I guess we're partly to blame!!)

BT Sport did the exact same thing!

Then every other season they only showed our defeats pretty much. I think it was the 82/83 season one where we only lost a handful of games yet they were the only games of ours they showed. Something definitely up there.

BT Sport did the exact same thing!

Then every other season they only showed our defeats pretty much. I think it was the 82/83 season one where we only lost a handful of games yet they were the only games of ours they showed. Something definitely up there.
Compared to ITV, BBC and Sky, BT seem to be the least "anti-Spurs" in all fairness, this partly due to Hoddle and Jenas. This however, isn't saying a lot...

Back
Top Bottom