Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But Zidane will always be the greatest player ever for me personally, the one player who's style of play and ability is everything I ve ever wanted to achieve as a player,that was the type of player I dreamt I could be when I started football, before he even appeared. And then i saw him play for Bordeaux the first time, and I realised that he was the perfect playmaker. What he did in that position and with such apparent ease and flair ...

Like Ronaldo (fat one) once said, when you play with zizou you just pick a position and the ball will come. Perfect pace and perfect curve, time and time again

Last edited:
I was always told that Maradona was better, and that Messi would not survive at his time. Used to believe that, but tonight, this guy convinced me not only is he the best player in history, but the 2nd place is not even close to him... An absolute privilege to have been alive at the time that he plays and watch his magic year after year after year, even if he messed us up once.

No contest.

There’s something formulaic about Ronaldo, he does something over and over again that is unstoppable based on his athleticism, but Messi is different all together, he is creativity itself and he is simply unpredictable.

The greatest player since Maradona, he is in a different class. If you can’t see this, you might as well give up football.

I think this illustrates it nicely. Fucking hell.

690.jpg

...and that was a month ago.
where's Mark Noble?

Deserved. The award should be given to the BEST player in the World. He's been the BEST player in the World since 2009. End of.

Would Messi be that good in the PL or Bundesliga?

I think so, considering his record against the very best England and Germany have had to offer over the years in the CL.

He took us apart at Wembley. He takes everyone apart. Not all of the time, but most of the time.

Fully deserved to win this year.

Maradona is the best player I've ever seen.

I've never understood why some people say that Messi can not be regarded as the greatest player ever until he has won the World Cup.

It's a bullshit argument.

Pele won the World Cup three times. If he had played for San Marino, he never would have come close to winning it.

That doesn't suddenly make him a worse player.
He'd be a genius surrounded by dickheads.

For me I think Messi is the most consistently brilliant player, he is both a striker and the creative hub for a team, the only other player like that was Maradona in the ability to be both the focal point of the midfield and also attack at the same time. Pele was a great striker but I don’t feel he had the all round game of either Maradona or Messi.

I can understand people saying Maradona in that he carried Argentina and Napoli and perhaps at his peak was the best, Messi’s peak was just longer.

I will say this I have never seen a more dangerous passer than Messi and I have seen Scholes, Xavi and quite a few other top passers live. People look at Messi’s dribbling and goal scoring but it’s his passing that often impressed me the most.

Mentality is overrated.

Messi is better FOOTBALLER. He can do more things than Ronaldo. When we measure GOATs, you have to look what are they on the pitch. And Ronaldo was always a winger or nowadays number 9.

Messi is a lot more.

It's not just the World Cup where he has underperformed.
Has not won what is little more than a 2 (some may argue up to 4) horse race in the Copa America either.
If you asked his own countrymen who is the better player between him and Maradona, I think you would not be able to find 10% saying Messi.

Where does Messi rate for me, probably 3 or 4, not even sure I would put him best in his generation as Ronaldo has shown it at ManU, Real, Juve and Portugal, whereas Messi hasn't shown it apart from with a great team built around him at Barca.
Yeah, because thoose teams, United, Madrid and Juventus weren't favourites every season in their league 😂

Messi is on another level to Ronaldo when it comes to playmaking ability. We have seen that since Xavi retired.

I cannot believe some people. When you se him play, it's just fucking different than nay other player. The best ever

Yeah.

But would he have been the best ever without the growth hormones?
No he would never have been a professional footballer. Which makes his subsequent career all the more remarkable.

Go find every midget child in the world. Then inject all of them with growth hormone. The likelihood of one of them ending up as the best footballer in the world is about a billion to one.

He's a genius and we should be grateful we've been alive to see him.

Saw that. It’s why he is so good. He can score nearly 100 goals and run the midfield at the same time. It’s why with no disrespected to Ronaldo, Haaland, Mbappe it’s just not remotely comparable, Messi’s all round game is the best by far of any player I have ever seen.

Id like to see Messi in a league or era where 90% of his opponents dont pull their pants down and stand there in awe while he waltzes through and scores 25 hat tricks a season...

And Ive never liked the "best player ever" thing....is he better than Lloris in goal, or Maldini in defence?

Doubt it

Back
Top Bottom