Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would like to invoke the little known law in Scotland known as the "because I fucking said so" law.

I think Messi is the best player ever, because I fucking said so.

Even he looked embarrassed about being awarded that. Wasn't even the best Argentinian in my view, Mascherano had a better tournament.
I think Messi and Ronaldo belong in the pantheon of all time greats along side the likes of Pele, Maradona, Cruyff etc.
Best ever, no idea. One man's meat is another man's gravy so to speak.

Ha ha. You rather rushed past '86 where on bumpy pitches he was simply unplayable. I've never seen one player have such an effect at a WC. He drove Argentina to the trophy with unbelievable skill and determination.

Argentina were a poor side in '90 and he was pilled up as we all know. *Glosses over*.

As to honours, I think the comparison is a little unfair. Messi has played his entire career for one of the very best teams in the world. It stands to reason that he will have won more at club level. Maradona had 2 years at Barca before they were the team they are now, and transformed Napoli's fortunes almost single handedly.

As you say it is splitting hairs, but Maradona's '86 WC performance does it for me.

Just admire the guy.

raw

Incredible to watch, for me the best Player in my lifetime.

anyway, it's pele apparently, according to a poll commissioned by the oracle that is the history channel...

Top 40 greatest footballers of all time:
1. Pelé

2. Lionel Messi

3. Cristiano Ronaldo

4. George Best

5. Diego Maradona

6. Bobby Moore OBE

7. Johan Cruyff

8. Sir Bobby Charlton CBE

9. David Beckham OBE

10. Zinedine Zidane

11. Thierry Henry

12. Franz Beckenbauer

13. Eusébio

14. Kenny Dalglish MBE

15. Ronaldinho

16. Ryan Giggs OBE

17. Gary Lineker OBE

18. Paul Gascoigne

19. Ronaldo

20. Steven Gerrard MBE

21. Denis Law CBE

22. Dennis Bergkamp

23. Alfredo Di Stéfano

24. Ferenc Puskás

25. Wayne Rooney

26. Sir Tom Finney CBE

27. Michael Owen

28. Michel Platini

29. Jürgen Klinsmann

30. Lothar Matthäus

31. Marco van Basten

32. Mohamed Salah

33. Bryan Robson OBE

34. Lev Yashin

35. Gareth Bale

36. Zlatan Ibrahimović

37. Franco Baresi

38. Xavi

39. Kevin De Bruyne

40. Gianluigi Buffon

I can’t believe that neither Jimmy Greaves nor Dave Mackay are on that list

Or Sissoko

I'd go along with that...
1. Messi
2. Maradona
3. Cristiano
4. Cruyff
5. Pele

It's always hard to leave Zidane and Iniesta out of these sort of lists.

Again, don't really care for international trophies, those are team awards not individual. Messi's consistency and individual awards and accolades should put him top of the list rightly.

There has only been one player who was regarded as one of the best players in the world at 17. And at 31. And all the years between.

That is Lionel Messi.

Compare his greatness year by year to the other greats and you'll see none them were as consistently brilliant over such a long span of time.

Messi was in discussion as being the best player in the world at ages 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 and 31.

Name me a player who has had as many years being discussed as the best player in the world, and I will concede.

It’s always a difficult topic, especially when covering decades. To look at his stats I’d say Greaves would be up there as one of the greats. You also have the likes of Van Basten and Ronaldinho.

With Pele, it’s tricky because there’s not a great deal of footage and he played most of his professional career (outside internationals) at a comparatively low level. However, he looked like a modern Premier League striker when you watch the footage. A real athlete and a great all rounder. Wasn’t he 17 when he scored twice in a World Cup final?

Personally I agree with the view that a myth was built around him, but it must have had some origin in truth, especially when you consider how highly rated he was by his opponents. It’s not as if there’s a queue of former international footballers lining up to say ‘actually mate, that Pele was overrated’ (well, unless you’re Maradona).

Anyway, Messi is the GOAT in my opinion, for multiple reasons. For most Argentines, it will always be Maradona.

It's definitely a difficult topic. Eventually, there will be a time where NO ONE on this planet would have witnessed Pele play. So it'll all be urban legend and myth. "Pele once scored 1000 career goals." , "Pele scored from a bicycle kick from 40 yards" etc. - and that'll go on for generations. Can't help but feel that all anyone knows of Pele are highlight videos. He's literally the modern day YouTube compilation of someone based on legend.

Let's not forget that Brazil won the 1962 very comfortably WITHOUT him. Winning 5 of 6 games and scoring 14 goals. Garrincha the star of the show with his fucked up spine and bent legs. He was back in 1966 though where they got knocked out in the groups..

Pele was 52 when I was born, so I never saw him play but I would probably assume from what I HAVE seen is that he was probably just ahead of his time. Wouldn't surprise me if he was quicker and more powerful than a lot of other players of that time as well as a very very talented freestyler, mix in the fact that he's up against semi professionals and it's probably a recipe for legend.

It's a bit like when you look at old footage of football back in the 50s and 60s and the goalkeepers are just shit. Barely dive. Crap positioning etc. You have defenders just looking at the player instead of the ball, ridiculously slow to turn etc. Defenders being fooled by the simplest of tricks etc. The game has evolved and it's ridiculously hard to judge.

Jesse Owens transcended Athletics but that doesn't make him the best athlete of all time. It makes him a legend but Usain Bolt is a better athlete. Shit evolves.

Regarding Argentines on Messi and Maradona, I think most Argentines would judge it on the fact that Maradona is literally Argentine through and through I reckon (add to the fact that Argentina won the World Cup with him) as opposed to full blown ability though. I've seen documentaries on how Maradona is seen as a god simply because of the World Cup win.

Whereas Messi has been in Spain since he was a kid and sort of never really shows that same sort of passion for his country that Maradona did - I think even if Argentina had won the World Cup in 2010, they'd still have put Maradona above him simply because of that patriotism Maradona shows. Messi just seems to me like someone who feels Spanish but plays for Argentina out of respect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom