Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why?

This is such a myth that seems to have no basis in reality or reason but is repeated enough that people start to believe that it is true.

Why against a team like Liverpool where we struggle as it is to create chances and maintain control do we want Sissoko in there limiting us even more? Why do we want his mistakes on the ball that are likely to happen closer to our net and punished more by a quality team like Liverpool to be more likely to hurt us? Why do we want him out there when he provides us nothing defensively and is a liability when TAA and Robertson are putting balls into our box on crosses and set pieces?
you say that but the liverpool game we should of won, they had all the possession but we had the best chances of the game. they had pot shots and stuff from distance, no real clear cut chances where we looked under threat.

We get run over in MF all the time, what the hell are you talking about?

The ground he covers? Just running back and forth doing nothing isn't impressive or helpful.

He would be a dream to play against, weak as hell despite his size, easy to take the ball off of, no threat at all attacking so you can leave him wide open, scared to receive a pass so again you can leave him open when defending, weak as can be on set pieces.

If I were the opposition I would hope every game we played Spurs that Sissoko was in the side because it limits what we can do when he is in the side and as an individual he is super limited in what he can do. Its why there is no comparable player in any other quality side.
so then what was the legends watching when they voted him their player of the year? yea granted he is shit at defending set pieces. the games he hasnt played against good sides weve been run through so easily in midfield compared to the times he has played. just watch the ajax first leg to see how he helps

you say that but the liverpool game we should of won, they had all the possession but we had the best chances of the game. they had pot shots and stuff from distance, no real clear cut chances where we looked under threat.

Well we can put that in our should have won point total and maybe we could hoist the should have won trophy at the end of the year.

The fact is we lost that game and Liverpool dominated our midfield for most of that game.

The whole should have won that game BS narrative also ignores the chances and dominance Liverpool had before scoring their first goal. If we are playing the maybe game people often forget to include the maybes for the other guys as well.

I swear people are so fucking lame. He's been one of our most consistent players this season yet people still hate, people still unfairly criticise, people still moan. So fucking boring and tedious.

Well we can put that in our should have won point total and maybe we could hoist the should have won trophy at the end of the year.

The fact is we lost that game and Liverpool dominated our midfield for most of that game.

The whole should have won that game BS narrative also ignores the chances and dominance Liverpool had before scoring their first goal. If we are playing the maybe game people often forget to include the maybes for the other guys as well.
they was lucky to win. just having the ball means nothing if you cant carve a team up and they didnt carve us up at all. they scored a fluke deflection and a set piece. we had the better chances of the game. just watch the ajax first leg. its the perfect game to see what sissoko offers his side.. we was getting run through before poch was forced to bring him on and save the tie

they was lucky to win. just having the ball means nothing if you cant carve a team up and they didnt carve us up at all. they scored a fluke deflection and a set piece. we had the better chances of the game. just watch the ajax first leg. its the perfect game to see what sissoko offers his side.. we was getting run through before poch was forced to bring him on and save the tie

They weren't lucky to win, they were unlucky to not be up more. And the good thing about having the ball and more chances is that you create more opportunities for those deflected shots to go in.

If your best defense of Sissoko is to watch a game that is almost two years ago that kind of says everything we need to know about the guy.

They weren't lucky to win, they were unlucky to not be up more. And the good thing about having the ball and more chances is that you create more opportunities for those deflected shots to go in.

If your best defense of Sissoko is to watch a game that is almost two years ago that kind of says everything we need to know about the guy.
how was they unlucky not to be more up? they had no genuine clear cut chances. lots of pot shots from distance. bergwijn missed two one on ones and kane missed a header from 6 yards.. we had the better chances.

i would like it if we had a solid midfield who could all play. but since sissoko has been here weve had some lightweight midfielders where his presence has been needed to beef up the midfield and not make us so easy to run through.. winks, eriksen and dele...not exactly hard to run through them is it

hojbjerg, gio and ndom you would like to think would be enough off the ball to not need the likes of sissoko in there. but two of them share games ffs. then again if we could have a proper midfield where we didnt need limited players like sissoko to make up for the deficiencies of others, we would of had a league title in the last 4 years

how was they unlucky not to be more up? they had no genuine clear cut chances. lots of pot shots from distance. bergwijn missed two one on ones and kane missed a header from 6 yards.. we had the better chances.

i would like it if we had a solid midfield who could all play. but since sissoko has been here weve had some lightweight midfielders where his presence has been needed to beef up the midfield and not make us so easy to run through.. winks, eriksen and dele...not exactly hard to run through them is it

hojbjerg, gio and ndom you would like to think would be enough off the ball to not need the likes of sissoko in there. but two of them share games ffs. then again if we could have a proper midfield where we didnt need limited players like sissoko to make up for the deficiencies of others, we would of had a league title in the last 4 years

But Sissoko does not do what you claim he does. He doesn't make the MF more difficult to run through. It would be great if he did as that would be something but it simply does not happen.

And how do all these other top teams manage to play without needing a MF that does nothing? How it is possible that other teams manage not have an absolute zero in their MF because of reasons?

Firmino had a open header in the middle of our box, if you don't think that is a clear cut chance I am not sure what to tell you.

But Sissoko does not do what you claim he does. He doesn't make the MF more difficult to run through. It would be great if he did as that would be something but it simply does not happen.

And how do all these other top teams manage to play without needing a MF that does nothing? How it is possible that other teams manage not have an absolute zero in their MF because of reasons?

Firmino had a open header in the middle of our box, if you don't think that is a clear cut chance I am not sure what to tell you.
the one he headed down? its a decent chance but its not exactly like hes odds on to score like the other 3 we had were.

like i said sissoko is only needed by us because weve had some seriously lightweight players in midfield. in an ideal world we would have a midfield who could offer quality on the ball without being so lightweight that a mild breeze would blow them over.

why do you think the legends voted him their player of the year? its not exactly for his quality on the ball is it?

the one he headed down? its a decent chance but its not exactly like hes odds on to score like the other 3 we had were.

like i said sissoko is only needed by us because weve had some seriously lightweight players in midfield. in an ideal world we would have a midfield who could offer quality on the ball without being so lightweight that a mild breeze would blow them over.

why do you think the legends voted him their player of the year? its not exactly for his quality on the ball is it?

I think they voted him player of the year because as we often see with votes like that people are terrible at judging these awards.

GLC would be a better option in a MF 3 than Sissoko against every team we have played this year.

Firmino often scores if given the same chance. There was another chance that I would have to go back and look at in which they easily could have scored as well. They are not 100% guaranteed chances but if we are playing the maybe game lets be honest about both sides.

Plus I am not really sure what that has to do with Sissoko. He wasn't creating chances, he didn't prevent those chances, in that game at best he was a non-factor, at worst he limited our ability to get a goal that we desperately needed.

I think they voted him player of the year because as we often see with votes like that people are terrible at judging these awards.

GLC would be a better option in a MF 3 than Sissoko against every team we have played this year.

Firmino often scores if given the same chance. There was another chance that I would have to go back and look at in which they easily could have scored as well. They are not 100% guaranteed chances but if we are playing the maybe game lets be honest about both sides.

Plus I am not really sure what that has to do with Sissoko. He wasn't creating chances, he didn't prevent those chances, in that game at best he was a non-factor, at worst he limited our ability to get a goal that we desperately needed.
yea id rather GLC but hes never fit and when he and ndombele was they was sharing games. that firminio header is far from clear cut though hes actually at the side of the ball when hes heading it, it looks like from 12 yards out..would of been a world class head to beat the keeper in that scenario.

they voted him player of the year because of his presence in the big games for us that year. i bet the clear cut chances we concede without sissoko far outweigh the clear cuts we give away with him in the team.

but ultimately im with you, id rather we had a proper midfield who didnt have such glaring deficiencies that a player like sissoko was needed. its like using two players just to make up one. its why weve always failed to get over that last hurdle. if we could get a player like sabitzer in there we probably wouldnt need him as we would have 4 very competent CMs then. but all the time you got players like dele, winks and eriksen in midfield you need to compensate for it.

so then what was the legends watching when they voted him their player of the year? yea granted he is shit at defending set pieces. the games he hasnt played against good sides weve been run through so easily in midfield compared to the times he has played. just watch the ajax first leg to see how he helps

The "legends"panel was Micky Hazard and Graham Roberts down the pub over a few beers trying to remember who's name gets sung. It's fucking meaningless.

The Ajax game from a year and half had nothing to do with Sissoko, more to do with us making the tactical switch from 3 at the back and matching them up with 3 in midfield and Ajax sitting back on their away lead, we still did fuck all, created fuck all and lost the game at home.

We got one win against a "good" side - manC, and we'd spent most of the game in our own box, anyone could have done what he did, trundle the 5 yards between Toby and Aurier for 90 minutes doing fuck all else. We got a draw and a win against meh Chelsea and a shit Woolwich doing the same. Any fucker could do that. Sanchez could do it. Tanganaga could have done it.

The "legends"panel was Micky Hazard and Graham Roberts down the pub over a few beers trying to remember who's name gets sung. It's fucking meaningless.

The Ajax game from a year and half had nothing to do with Sissoko, more to do with us making the tactical switch from 3 at the back and matching them up with 3 in midfield and Ajax sitting back on their away lead, we still did fuck all, created fuck all and lost the game at home.

We got one win against a "good" side - manC, and we'd spent most of the game in our own box, anyone could have done what he did, trundle the 5 yards between Toby and Aurier for 90 minutes doing fuck all else. We got a draw and a win against meh Chelsea and a shit Woolwich doing the same. Any fucker could do that. Sanchez could do it. Tanganaga could have done it.
There’s a certain inevitable hilariousness about your sissoko rants that makes them quite unique. Most posters have a player or two they slag off but never quite with the level of venom that you muster when it comes to him.

I’ve grown so fond of them over the past few seasons that I’m not quite sure I actually want him to leave any more, as I savour these posts and this place won’t be the same with out them. . .

Never change mate.

:dierpochhug:

One can criticize Sissoko's lack of offensive contributions but to deny his defensive value is simply hating.

Its funny how someone can say that Mourinho is starting defensive players, but at the same time claim that same players are not good defensively.

Mourinho has a reputation for building his team on a base of a solid defence, so he should know which of his players are good defensively. If Sissoko is starting, it is only cos of his defensive contributions. Mourinho is not starting Sissoko for his creativity in the final third

There’s a certain inevitable hilariousness about your sissoko rants that makes them quite unique. Most posters have a player or two they slag off but never quite with the level of venom that you muster when it comes to him.

I’ve grown so fond of them over the past few seasons that I’m not quite sure I actually want him to leave any more, as I savour these posts and this place won’t be the same with out them. . .

Never change mate.

:dierpochhug:

One does one's best...

One can criticize Sissoko's lack of offensive contributions but to deny his defensive value is simply hating.

Its funny how someone can say that Mourinho is starting defensive players, but at the same time claim that same players are not good defensively.

Mourinho has a reputation for building his team on a base of a solid defence, so he should know which of his players are good defensively. If Sissoko is starting, it is only cos of his defensive contributions. Mourinho is not starting Sissoko for his creativity in the final third

Sissoko is only considered a "defensive" player because people think that if you have zero offensive skills then you must be good defensively.

As it has been repeatedly pointed out he rarely stops the opposition from getting good chances, he is weak in set pieces and has zero ability to man mark anyone out of the game. Against Palace we heard how we needed him to control Eze and Zaha and both guys repeatedly walked by him to create chances. He did nothing as usual.

The Sissoko apologists will of course respond with "but he gets selected" or "we need him to babysit Aurier" because you can't point to actual things he does well.

Jose plays Sissoko in a defensive role, not sure how that could even be debated, but he is shit defensively so is at best a defensive player by default.

Sissoko is only considered a "defensive" player because people think that if you have zero offensive skills then you must be good defensively.

As it has been repeatedly pointed out he rarely stops the opposition from getting good chances, he is weak in set pieces and has zero ability to man mark anyone out of the game. Against Palace we heard how we needed him to control Eze and Zaha and both guys repeatedly walked by him to create chances. He did nothing as usual.

The Sissoko apologists will of course respond with "but he gets selected" or "we need him to babysit Aurier" because you can't point to actual things he does well.

Jose plays Sissoko in a defensive role, not sure how that could even be debated, but he is shit defensively so is at best a defensive player by default.
So are you saying that there are better defensive players than Sissoko that Mourinho is leaving out?

If so, please share

So are you saying that there are better defensive players than Sissoko that Mourinho is leaving out?

If so, please share

I would say there is zero need to have someone playing the role that Sissoko does, so the simple solution would be to not have the role and the need for a defensive MF when we already have PEH in MF.

But if we are desperate to have that role be defensive then GLC is a better defensive player, I haven't seen enough of White but he can't be any worse. Could also play guys out of position and get the same defensive result with a better attacking ability.

Back
Top Bottom