Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Perspective time. A guy is out in minus 5, in the snow. He’s not hiding. He’s putting in a shift, trying everything he can and the team wins 6-1.

Yet rather than credit the guy, yet more abuse is thrown his way. More “he can’t” nonsense rather than “he can”.

I’d credit the player involved. Say “Well done” and “thanks for turning out” rather than cheap gag him sorting his feet out.

As for watching the TV and deciding he is not good enough. Fuck right off. We were at Wembley last night and the guy deserved to be wearing our shirt.

Much more relevant to look at the games in which he has started IMO. Below are the stats for games in which Sissoko has started, or come off the bench and played 45 minutes or more (to account for the Real Home game where he came off the bench for Toby and played 65 minutes).

League Games in which Sissoko has Started:
6-3-3
50% win ratio

League games in which Sissoko has not started:
10-4-2
62.5% win ratio

(All comps) games in which Sissoko has started:
13-6-4
56.42% win ratio

(All comps) games in which Sissoko has not started:
12-4-2
66.6% win ratio

Sissoko has started 12 out a total of 28 league games, and in all competitions has started 22 out of 41. He has started 5/5 FA Cup games, 2/2 EFL Cup games and 2/6 Champions League games (one of the ones he didn't start he played 65 minutes still)

I gave this a like on the basis of the info you collated, but lets not forget in some of our lesser perfomances this season he's often been amongst our better performing and seemingly more motivated players...

He's also contributed to some strong, disciplined performances like RM away.

As an aside, lets be honest if passing ability was the order of the day Poch simply wouldnt select him.

Chavs paid £20m+ for Drinkwater and Dippers £35m+ for Ox-chamberlain so this far down the line fuck the pricetag, he's a decent (not great) utility player and I don't have 'the fear' when i see him on the teamsheet like i did last season.

I don't think he is good enough for the premier league, when Newcastle got relegated he wasn't a stand out player for them unless he was ballsing up, I just think we play him to get his price tag somewhere close to what we paid in hope some other silly club will buy him.

With all due respect, thats bollocks.

No way that's the case.... The amount he has played, IF that was the case and hes the absolute disaster that some insist then that would be tantamount to sabotaging our season before its even started merely in the name of recouping circa £10-15m of 'abstract' transfer fee
If you think the gaffer would concur to such a plan then your impression of Poch is thoroughly flawed.

I gave this a like on the basis of the info you collated, but lets not forget in some of our lesser perfomances this season he's often been amongst our better performing and seemingly more motivated players...

He's also contributed to some strong, disciplined performances like RM away.

As an aside, lets be honest if passing ability was the order of the day Poch simply wouldnt select him.

Chavs paid £20m+ for Drinkwater and Dippers £35m+ for Ox-chamberlain so this far down the line fuck the pricetag, he's a decent (not great) utility player and I don't have 'the fear' when i see him on the teamsheet like i did last season.
Yeah wasn't trying to prove a specific point really, was genuinely fascinated and those were the stats. My personal opinion is he probably isn't good enough for us but hey he is a decent squaddie, if Poch thinks he is a lot better than Onomah or any other academy player (don't think there is much point in getting a replacement if we were to sell him) then he is definitely right.

Not trawling for a barney, but care to expand on that?
Responding to the statement that Sissoko can't be all that bad because we're doing pretty well, I believe that Sissoko is a West Ham-level player and our results have more to do with the general level of quality elsewhere in our squad rather than anything in particular that Sissoko is doing.

And the win percentages that AussieYiddo AussieYiddo put together seem to support that conclusion.

Responding to the statement that Sissoko can't be all that bad because we're doing pretty well, I believe that Sissoko is a West Ham-level player and our results have more to do with the general level of quality elsewhere in our squad rather than anything in particular that Sissoko is doing.

Just curious cos the quote you included didn't state as much and thus your comment appeared far more disparaging.... I dont share your view but i get ya now.

And the win percentages that AussieYiddo AussieYiddo put together seem to support that conclusion.

In all honesty it's remains entirely contentious the moment one cares to scratch the surface of those stats (For starters, as a second string player he's likely to have other less able/fit players around him. See my last couple of posts in this thread if u can be arsed or care for more.)....

A tinge of confirmation bias to you so readily accepting those stats me thinks.

Last edited:
With all due respect, thats bollocks.

No way that's the case.... The amount he has played, IF that was the case and hes the absolute disaster that some insist then that would be tantamount to sabotaging our season before its even started merely in the name of recouping circa £10-15m of 'abstract' transfer fee
If you think the gaffer would concur to such a plan then your impression of Poch is thoroughly flawed.

If you are talking about the latter part of my post, then I thought it was fairly clear I was joking, if it wasn't, then I was joking.

He does run a lot and he doesn't look out of position, but that's just a body on the field if you can't do anything with it. He has his good moments, but they are far outweighed by his "oopsies". I strongly believe poch can teach 99% of players to play the same role that Sissoko can that can pass better than him.

If he turns great, then awesome, if he doesn't then I doubt many people will be surprised.

I'm not his biggest fan, in fact i'd go so far to say that he has the worst basic skill set that i've seen from a highly capped International player but on the other hand he's a trier and i do love a trier. Put it like this, i'd rather have him in our team than a lazy far more talented player like the 300 grand a week Ozil for instance. I've warmed to him to be honest and feel he's a force of nature rather than a good player. Seems pointless to bang on about his limltations that we all can see after every performance. Poch trusts him enough to do a job in certain games and that's good enough for me.

If you are talking about the latter part of my post, then I thought it was fairly clear I was joking, if it wasn't, then I was joking.

(I underlined the part i was referencing.)

No bother. No offense taken nor intended.

He does run a lot and he doesn't look out of position, but that's just a body on the field if you can't do anything with it. He has his good moments, but they are far outweighed by his "oopsies". I strongly believe poch can teach 99% of players to play the same role that Sissoko can that can pass better than him.

If he turns great, then awesome, if he doesn't then I doubt many people will be surprised.

He's not gonna suddenly explode into the player he isnt at this age.

Meanwhile, Poch has let Onomah go out on loan and regularly plays Sissoko ahead of Winks.... Evidently the gaffer doesn't share your sentiment and seemingly has a different role in mind for him than many on here perceive

Not solely in reference to yourself, but the amount of emphasis put on his passing, you'd think Dier, Big Vic & Dembele were Pirlo-esque.

Last edited:
I'm not his biggest fan, in fact i'd go so far to say that he has the worst basic skill set that i've seen from a highly capped International player but on the other hand he's a trier and i do love a trier. Put it like this, i'd rather have him in our team than a lazy far more talented player like the 300 grand a week Ozil for instance. I've warmed to him to be honest and feel he's a force of nature rather than a good player. Seems pointless to bang on about his limltations that we all can see after every performance. Poch trusts him enough to do a job in certain games and that's good enough for me.

This guy gets it.... :adesalute:

Can anyone honestly cite a genuine example of a blunder that MS has made that has directly cos us points this season?

Perspective time. A guy is out in minus 5, in the snow. He’s not hiding. He’s putting in a shift, trying everything he can and the team wins 6-1.

Yet rather than credit the guy, yet more abuse is thrown his way. More “he can’t” nonsense rather than “he can”.

I’d credit the player involved. Say “Well done” and “thanks for turning out” rather than cheap gag him sorting his feet out.

As for watching the TV and deciding he is not good enough. Fuck right off. We were at Wembley last night and the guy deserved to be wearing our shirt.
first Im not a sissoko hater ... i think he's valued squad member ... how valuable I'm not sure but I think in the main he's ok, grafts and does offer some positives

But ... thanks for turning out?!? Wtf. We are Tottenham Hotspur plus he's on a near 100k a week !! Thanks for turning out... you taking the piss mate

Plus. Whilst I'm ambiguous to his value to the squad ... the one thing I can say without fear is he has awful tekkers and to that end I found the exageration caused by the snow funny

I want him to play brilliantly for us and I'll support him im our shirt
But
We are allowed to poke some fun at our Heroes without derision arnt we?

first Im not a sissoko hater ... i think he's valued squad member ... how valuable I'm not sure but I think in the main he's ok, grafts and does offer some positives

But ... thanks for turning out?!? Wtf. We are Tottenham Hotspur plus he's on a near 100k a week !! Thanks for turning out... you taking the piss mate

Plus. Whilst I'm ambiguous to his value to the squad ... the one thing I can say without fear is he has awful tekkers and to that end I found the exageration caused by the snow funny

I want him to play brilliantly for us and I'll support him im our shirt
But
We are allowed to poke some fun at our Heroes without derision arnt we?
Certainly, and i’d offer an apology to you if my direct reference to your comment was felt or read as contemptuous towards your joke. So sorry, did not want to personally slight a fellow fans humour.

To clarify my “thanks for turning out” was not meant as the guys done us a favour, what I mean is that he did not hide. He worked his arse off and put in a shift which deserved praise not criticism.

I completely agree no one should be seen as turning out as a favour.

Adding a layer to my defence of Sissoko is that last night 2 rows down, some guy did not stop abusing Sissoko each and every touch, it was ( and is ) utterly unacceptable to do that and sometimes it feels the guy simply can’t get a break, even though he has earned one

If we level the playing field on transfer fees and say everyone in the team was signed for 1M where would we stand on Sissoko?

Personally I would happily have him in the team, he wouldn't be my first name on the sheet but can put in a respectable shift late on in a game or play cup and lower league games to give others a rest. Not everyone on the bench can be world beaters...

I've changed my opinion of him this season, sure he still frustrates me but he breaks play up well and doesn't stop running. just a shame the play he breaks up is ours :dembelelol:

Is it weird that I'm actually delighted for him haha
DXR6JyiWAAA-7m8.jpg

Jan out in the first round...sure that went down well...Llorente called Nando, love it...

Can anyone honestly cite a genuine example of a blunder that MS has made that has directly cos us points this season?
I doubt he has made any. He’s always just there. Pretty defensively sound to be honest. Not skilful enough to be an attacking player.

So when he’s on the pitch we are pretty much playing with 7 defensive players and four in attack. Not even convinced his position in as a RHS DM allows the right back to go forward that much.

As a squad player, he’s ok. As a first team we, he doesn’t offer us enough. But no mistakes leading direct to goals, you’re right.

Back
Top Bottom