New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If reports are true that Levy backed out cos he was pissed off that FDB leaked the meeting, then its just another massive facepalm....

It cannot be true, surely...?!

I doubt it.

Reports are focusing on Pochettino because there has been nothing "out there" to report on with FDB. So they say we arent interested now and try and justify it with that line. And yet other sources say FDB has been away for a week and so will only now (or soon?) be in a position to talk to us. It was reported Aaron Winter (I believe a friend of his) has been quoted as saying FDB believes he is on his way to Spurs, strangely very few picked up on this.

I think if we wanted Pochettino and not FDB we would have got him by now. All week the press have been banging his drum, whats stopping us from making an approach? We could have done the deal already.

We are clearly waiting for something. IMO its FDB.

I think many people were very unfair to both Bentaleb and Sherwood, all that stuff about 'his love child' was unwarranted IMHO.

As with so many things I await how the new manager does compared to the 'clueless, dim-witted' Sherwood. You know the one who beat Poch twice in one season and whose team finished above Soton, and gave Kane a much-needed chance. Oh this is going to be fun I reckon :)

People need to stop banding about this "Sherwood beat Pochettino twice" bullshit. Spurs should have beaten Saints twice. The squads are incomparable. What people should be banding about is how clueless the approach was and how awful we fared against the bigger teams. Change was a necessity.

I really dont see why so many want Benitez, undoubtedly a good coach but otherwise, IMO, a disaster waiting to happen.
When he went to Liverpool the success he had initially was very much down to the squad he inherited. When he started making his own signings the wheels began to come off. Same happened when he went to Inter. I'm not convinced about him at all.

Do your homework Danny Boy.

I would wager he has been, since November, and will have 90% of a deal already in place. Just the formalities remaining.

IMO it will be FDB, but Im not ruling out a surprise left field appointment.

I think from here we will go through the motions, so to appear like now we are working on it.
We will leave it quite a few days, let the papers link everyone under the sun.
Then the papers will confirm we are after XYZ, possibly with quotes from him/his agent or club.
We wont comment for a few more days.
During this time, due to lack of comment, the press will run stories of how we are jeapordising the move for some silly reason or another (break clauses/money/promise of player X staying/Levy Brinkmanship)
Then in about a weeks time (from now) we will announce we have made contact.
A few days later the OS will update, new manager will be in with his "Great club/history/tradition" speech.
Curiously the pictures used will have snow/flooding in them giving away the fact the deal was done 5 months ago :D

I'm in the FdB camp, there are loads of pro's and con's but what really swings it for me is his staff he might bring with him in Jaap Stam as defensive coach and Dennis Bergkamp as Assistant. My scum mates are melting at the thought of Bergkamp at Spurs and that for me is worth it alone, like a knife through their hearts.

He's hardly done fuck all has he? He's managed to get Southampton to finish 8th in the league while playing fast-paced, possession-based attacking football (with a very young squad). He isn't my first candidate, but I think he looks to go out and dominate teams with the ball, and get through them quickly, which I like to see.

8th!!! fuck me are you serious?

they were shit against us both games ,
do me a favour he's the latest flavour of the month
file under that bloke at watford who ended up at northampton

Based on that, I pick whoever they want

I very much hate the idea of being held hostage by any group of players, but considering how difficult it is to come by Prem-level CDM's and CB's in particular, economically it makes sense to have to weigh the wishes of such a group. I hate Vertonghen's attitude from this past year, but if there's an option that would get him not only to stay but likely very reinterested and possibly on par with how he was last season, that's unfortunately something that inevitably must be taken into consideration however small it may be of a factor.

Last edited:
Yep, the man Tim did the double over and finished two places below him. He's obviously what we need, not a clueless, dimwit like Tim who hasn't got the first idea of football management according to some of the Spurs football experts in cyberspace.

You couldn't make it up. You don't need to, it might actually happen :roflmao:

But as I've said, if it does I'll back him, you see because I support the club.
Liverpool appointed Brendan Rodgers in 2012, in the same season his Swansea side finished three places below them. If the man is good enough for the job, then it doesn't matter if his team finished below the season beforehand (his Southampton team have much smaller budget to work with than Spurs do).

Arrigo Sacchi was in charge of a Serie B team when Berlusconi appointed him as manager of AC Milan, yet within two seasons he won the European Cup with the Rossoneri

Last edited:
Does it matter if we're a big club or not?

To sound horribly ruthless does it not all just go down to who can afford the most?

I could write about a proud history and the pride of North London, but anyone coming in to the club in these times is more likely to ask, 'what are you prepared to pay?', it's the nature of the beast, it's not something I think is right but that's honestly what we're looking at.

Back
Top Bottom