New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think your figures are way out on number infected. The last figure I saw was 1 in 2000 meaning 30 people in 60000 although they are only proposing 30000 crowd. if the infective are ill or self isolating then they will not be there. Now I know it only takes 1 infected person to pass it on and the numbers are in clusters rather than averaged throughout the Country. I am relatively old and therefore at risk but a healthy 18 year old should not fear those odds.
The following is from todays papers.
'Some 27,100 people in England are thought to be infected at any one time - 0.05 per cent of the population or one in every 2,000 people - according to the Office for National Statistics, which said today: 'Evidence suggests that the incidence rate for England remains unchanged.'
He's wrong about the R rate too - it's about 1, not 2. And the plan if we're at 50% will be to have testing and other measures in place to minimise the risk further. We may well be talking about 5 Covid positive people in each crowd, who go on infect 5 people, every time there's a 50% capacity home game. Therefore over a season up to about 150 extra cases across a season, resulting in 1 death, as a reasonable estimate.

Is one death a price worth paying for the tax this would generate which can go on the NHS, the people kept in employment who again pay tax but also have better health outcomes personally if not living in poverty, and the positive impact on mental health of having routines and entertainment open up again? It's morbid, but in truth the answer is probably yes - if cases can be kept that low, it will ultimately save more lives than it costs.

When is the sky bar meant to open ??
I believe this will only be available as part of the stadium naming sponsorship deal. I can't believe that they haven't got it ready to go by now. I wonder if they have somehow managed to find a loophole in the law of not drinking within view if the pitch.

I think your figures are way out on number infected. The last figure I saw was 1 in 2000 meaning 30 people in 60000 although they are only proposing 30000 crowd. if the infective are ill or self isolating then they will not be there. Now I know it only takes 1 infected person to pass it on and the numbers are in clusters rather than averaged throughout the Country. I am relatively old and therefore at risk but a healthy 18 year old should not fear those odds.
The following is from todays papers.
'Some 27,100 people in England are thought to be infected at any one time - 0.05 per cent of the population or one in every 2,000 people - according to the Office for National Statistics, which said today: 'Evidence suggests that the incidence rate for England remains unchanged.'

I think watching the games in the stadium will be fine, it’s just the getting there and back for many will be a pain unless they relax the parking restrictions around the ground on match day. Many people, myself included, don’t really want to take public transport yet and getting taxis or ubers there is cost prohibitive for the majority of people.

He's wrong about the R rate too - it's about 1, not 2. And the plan if we're at 50% will be to have testing and other measures in place to minimise the risk further. We may well be talking about 5 Covid positive people in each crowd, who go on infect 5 people, every time there's a 50% capacity home game. Therefore over a season up to about 150 extra cases across a season, resulting in 1 death, as a reasonable estimate.

Is one death a price worth paying for the tax this would generate which can go on the NHS, the people kept in employment who again pay tax but also have better health outcomes personally if not living in poverty, and the positive impact on mental health of having routines and entertainment open up again? It's morbid, but in truth the answer is probably yes - if cases can be kept that low, it will ultimately save more lives than it costs.

Don’t forget to factor in the massive false positives ratio in the test and the way they record covid death figures. If only people without underlying health issues attend then it’s a different story

It used to be a working class game!

Exclusive: Tottenham working on plans to open 4,000 seats for highest-paying fans
Proposals would need to be signed off by government, but club believe that social-distancing would be easiest in corporate areas

ByMatt Law, FOOTBALL NEWS CORRESPONDENT
5 September 2020 • 6:17pm

I think watching the games in the stadium will be fine, it’s just the getting there and back for many will be a pain unless they relax the parking restrictions around the ground on match day. Many people, myself included, don’t really want to take public transport yet and getting taxis or ubers there is cost prohibitive for the majority of people.

Problem is hat Harringey's planning approval for the stadium came with the requirement that Spurs REDUCE the number of car journey's made both for environmental reasons and to deal with objections from local people regarding traffic congestion and parking in the area on match days etc.

All of which was helped by the focus on improving local rail infrastructure and even supporters coach services with local pick up points etc - anything to help meet Harrigey's planning requirement.

So its only Haringey Council that can reverse their requirements to reduce cars, and I'm not sure that will be on their agenda.

Best option might be to arrive early and take up space in a stadium bar and depart late after a session in a bar after the match !

Problem is hat Harringey's planning approval for the stadium came with the requirement that Spurs REDUCE the number of car journey's made both for environmental reasons and to deal with objections from local people regarding traffic congestion and parking in the area on match days etc.

All of which was helped by the focus on improving local rail infrastructure and even supporters coach services with local pick up points etc - anything to help meet Harrigey's planning requirement.

So its only Haringey Council that can reverse their requirements to reduce cars, and I'm not sure that will be on their agenda.

Best option might be to arrive early and take up space in a stadium bar and depart late after a session in a bar after the match !

Obviously this is the best option. No idea what I was thinking!

The stats are bollocks.
They have no idea of the real number of people carrying the infection because testing is barely done. There's likely a hell a lot more untested walking around.
And again, it's not about you or I taking a risk without our health, it's about tens of thousands of people potentially picking it up and passing it on.
People in this country (and others) have shown from day 1 they're ignorant and selfish. For all you know, the person near you has just returned from a trip to a hotspot and not bothered to self isolate.

I wouldn't put it past some to rock up showing symptoms.
Imagine repeating this at every stadium on the weekend.
It would quickly cause another national outbreak that will force us back into full lockdown.

A few more seats in the stadium - when its safe to squeeze back in !

From letter :

The maximum stadium seating capacity has been increased through a series of non-material amendments from the original capacity of 61,461 to 62,303. The last application (HGY/2019/3178) being approved on 17 December 2019. There has been no increase in floorspace.

This final application for a non-material amendment seeks to increase the capacity to 62,850, an increase of 547. The additional seats are to be located in the Lower, Mid and Upper Tiers and in the South Stand. The additional seats can be accommodated through minor modifications to the south west and south east tunnels; the insertion of seats in areas such as the lateral gangway in front of the media tribune; through reconfigured access points and the introduction of some demountable terracing to allow greater flexibility between wheelchair platform and standard seating configurations.

All proposed modifications have been reviewed and agreed with Building Control and checked against egress principles set out in the Green Guide 5th Edition.

There would be no increase in floorspace. It should be noted also that this figure does not account for segregation or ‘seat kill’, which may vary for different events, and therefore means that this precise figure is unlikely to be reached in practice.

A few more seats in the stadium - when its safe to squeeze back in !

From letter :

The maximum stadium seating capacity has been increased through a series of non-material amendments from the original capacity of 61,461 to 62,303. The last application (HGY/2019/3178) being approved on 17 December 2019. There has been no increase in floorspace.

This final application for a non-material amendment seeks to increase the capacity to 62,850, an increase of 547. The additional seats are to be located in the Lower, Mid and Upper Tiers and in the South Stand. The additional seats can be accommodated through minor modifications to the south west and south east tunnels; the insertion of seats in areas such as the lateral gangway in front of the media tribune; through reconfigured access points and the introduction of some demountable terracing to allow greater flexibility between wheelchair platform and standard seating configurations.

All proposed modifications have been reviewed and agreed with Building Control and checked against egress principles set out in the Green Guide 5th Edition.

There would be no increase in floorspace. It should be noted also that this figure does not account for segregation or ‘seat kill’, which may vary for different events, and therefore means that this precise figure is unlikely to be reached in practice.

Pretty impressive that we’ve been able to find space for a further 1,400 odd extra seats from the original designs. I always thought it would end up at around 62,500 max so fair play to the people involved for doing what they’ve done.

No chance of getting fans back in the stadium now after today's panic by Boris on gatherings. In fact I now have serious doubts that the season will not get suspended.

No chance of getting fans back in the stadium now after today's panic by Boris on gatherings. In fact I now have serious doubts that the season will not get suspended.
Too much money at stake for clubs that are running out of time, the competition will go on regardless of how irresponsible it is.

The stats are bollocks.
They have no idea of the real number of people carrying the infection because testing is barely done. There's likely a hell a lot more untested walking around.
And again, it's not about you or I taking a risk without our health, it's about tens of thousands of people potentially picking it up and passing it on.
People in this country (and others) have shown from day 1 they're ignorant and selfish. For all you know, the person near you has just returned from a trip to a hotspot and not bothered to self isolate.

I wouldn't put it past some to rock up showing symptoms.
Imagine repeating this at every stadium on the weekend.
It would quickly cause another national outbreak that will force us back into full lockdown.

You do know that the UK has conducted 17.6m tests, how is that 'barely done'?

No question mass indoor events pose a very serious risk and even with 17m tested that still means 50m untested all of whom could be possible carriers ...

The 'safest' option for Spurs would be to say no to fans over 50, and no to fans with underlying heath issues. Now fans could lie about their age and their state of health but if they did those individuals would be putting themselves at risk not others.

The odds of a healthy under 50's individual dying from Covid are statistically 0.7 in 100,000 so even if the entire 60,000 crowd became infected, provided they were all healthy under 50's just one might die from every two home games ... far more likely to get run over crossing the High Road.

Not sure how you enforce an only Healthy under 50's policy - but that should work.

You do know that the UK has conducted 17.6m tests, how is that 'barely done'?

No question mass indoor events pose a very serious risk and even with 17m tested that still means 50m untested all of whom could be possible carriers ...

The 'safest' option for Spurs would be to say no to fans over 50, and no to fans with underlying heath issues. Now fans could lie about their age and their state of health but if they did those individuals would be putting themselves at risk not others.

The odds of a healthy under 50's individual dying from Covid are statistically 0.7 in 100,000 so even if the entire 60,000 crowd became infected, provided they were all healthy under 50's just one might die from every two home games ... far more likely to get run over crossing the High Road.

Not sure how you enforce an only Healthy under 50's policy - but that should work.
They then go home or back to their community and spread it. As Matt Hancock said today you need to stop the younger people getting it to protect the vulnerable.

*17m tests not people tested, just because you are negative today doesn't mean you will be next week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom