New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A week with no natural sunlight. Less than zero chance. IMHO

Modern pitches are a mix of grass and artificial, they are all constructed with several layers, ensuring rigidity, bounce, irrigation, water retention and drainage. I think on average they need a base depth of 6-8". If they keep airflow and UV lamps I imagine the grass will be ok for 3-5 days, any longer and it may start to suffer. Don't the currently use UV lamps overnight at the moment to force the grass to grow 24hrs a day? Doing this means it's possible to cut the grass before each game removing the top few mm of damage to the blades? Don't see what they're planning will be much different.

Was going to type more but bored myself... Just sign someone FFS, I need something else to think about.

What is that piece of kit sitting on the south west corner of the pitch? (It's about 40 metres long and 7 metres wide). It's situated inside a hole dug out for it. I'm guessing it's a mechanical winch for the retractable pitch.

Last edited:
Ahab , i think thats part of the piling operation.
I'm sticking with my guess. You can see five horizontal yellow cables in the middle of that thing.
Also note what looks like a similar trench parallel to it and about forty yards to the east.

I think it'll be for a fair bit longer than 4-6 hours. They'll want to have it set up for NFL mode well in advance of the day of a game, where possible.
Also, the pitch will be retracted for other events, such as concerts. If they're holding a large gig there (which is the intention) then the stage won't be installed on the day of the event.
The pitch could be indoors for a week at a time, easily.

A week with no natural sunlight. Less than zero chance. IMHO

We already do this with our outdoors pitch, all the lamp are stored on Worcester Ave every match day. Surely you've seen them?
Still going to be a technological marvel and probably a study piece for pitches around the world with the best groundsmen becoming mentors many times over!
I think the Expert Groundsmen will manage to work it out between themselves how best to look after the pitch during NFL games...

Unless it's ONLY just dawned on them that there might be a problem with storing the pitch after reading this thread!
:kanehand:

I'm sticking with my guess. You can see five horizontal yellow cables in the middle of that thing.
Also note what looks like a similar trench parallel to it and about forty yards to the east.
It's not "kit". The red panels are shuttering for a concrete pour, building on the foundations. To the south of it is grey concrete already poured - go back 24 hrs or so and you'll see the red panels around that section instead. Go back a couple more days and you'll see the pile caps.

It's not "kit". The red panels are shuttering for a concrete pour, building on the foundations. To the south of it is grey concrete already poured - go back 24 hrs or so and you'll see the red panels around that section instead. Go back a couple more days and you'll see the pile caps.
It was a good theory but you just blew it out the water. I know one of the pile drivers was working on that exact same spot. What's that machine with the three hinged flexible arm that's currently working on it?

Ahab , if you mean these, they are piles and pile caps being constructed.

image.php

OgA4csn.jpg

Looks like a scorpion, it's pouring concrete
It resembles a scorpion delivering a sting but I can see now it's a truck now with four stabilisers.
I've never seen the like before. What I have seen is concrete being poured straight from a cement truck
but I haven't watched a stadium being built before now.....

I think the Expert Groundsmen will manage to work it out between themselves how best to look after the pitch during NFL games...

Unless it's ONLY just dawned on them that there might be a problem with storing the pitch after reading this thread!
:kanehand:
There's experts involved with every single element of this new stadium, but that doesn't stop people speculating. We're just interested, mate.

That sort of concrete delivery system is called a scorpion

Scorpion Series
I've seen three cement trucks back onto the rear of this scorpion so I guess it's being fed continuously with fresh cement. They're certainly putting in a shift today as it's nearly 10pm and they're still out there working on the south stand foundations. I guess they've got to do that pour in one go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom