New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's almost as good as West Ham's retractable seating

sails2-1024x576.jpg

images

:harrysmile:

can't help but feel it has a long way to go. We need to get a wiggle on as things will get slower and more difficult the closer to winter we get. As sad as it sounds it's a shame there isn't a schedule/progress chart available to review.

Do we have an automatic option for another year at Wembley? Not that I want this but just wonder at what point it has to be discussed/agreed. I guess this will be the best indication of how things are progressing...

You probably don't think it looks ready due to the interior, which is the easiest and quickest bit to complete.

If you saw a pictures of 50k seats, 1 corner missing and some grass you'd suddenly think it was a hell of a lot closer to being done, despite that being fairly easy to do.

Once the roof gets put on in January you'll start to feel more comfortable about it.

I think the key to the turf not lifting is deep rooted grass right up to the edge. If they can do this then it will have strength and integrity to keep it in place. Whether a huge sliding tackle from Sanchez rips it up is another thing. I guess with UV lights, watering and heat grass grows at an insane speed. Within a few days it will start to join itself together.

Considering each of the 3 sections is made up of 30 different trays they could presumably just take out one tray and replace it with another, if it gets ripped to bits etc?

saw the tv snippet last night on sky and our local news (look North, sliding mec's are made by Yorkshire company )
still can't get my head around where 3 sections of 110mt long X 26mt will be stored with something built above it, the supports for the "roof " will have to be 28 mts wide
I thought it was going to be a simple roll in/out pitch, but with all those ram's to raise the pitch, think Levy must be looking at lots of events to get money back

still can't get my head around where 3 sections of 110mt long X 26mt will be stored with something built above it
It'll be housed in the basement car park (only a car park for football, I guess) under the south stand. It would appear the reason for it being in three sections, with the outer sections moving outwards before they slide under the stand, is to be stored either side of supports at basement level.

Only time the pitch will be stored will be for other events (NFL, concerts, other large events - up to 16 a year, per regulations), otherwise it will be out for exposure and to maintain continuity. I imagine Levy will want to hold as many of these other events in the summer months as possible to keep the facility in use year round. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the pitch only retracts 4-6 times during the league season.

I'd actually expect it to be used much more, if only just to ensure everything is still working. With a mechanism that complex you'd want to ensure it was periodically tested so it doesn't fuck up when you actually need it!

I'd actually expect it to be used much more, if only just to ensure everything is still working. With a mechanism that complex you'd want to ensure it was periodically tested so it doesn't fuck up when you actually need it!
That can be done on weekdays tho. No need to test it Saturday morning when you play a game on Sunday

The mechanics of it actually appear to be quite simple - wheels on rollers. The real challenge was ensuring that the trays came together seemlessly. For that reason, I would think they would try and limit the amount of times the pitch is stored to help ensure maximum field quality and integrity.

But again, I don't think it will be a huge concern - the breakthrough is more utilizing several established pitch and mechanical techniques together in a unique way, not the individual parts themselves.

I'd say it's similar to putting a camera on a cell phone - both the phone and camera were already existing, but combining the two was unique and a breakthrough at the time. Retractable pitches on rollers have been in use for a while, and knitting together a playing surface from disparate parts is also fairly common, but this is the first time they have been combined on this scale and purpose.

I'm interested in the storage of the pitch. The field in the Arizona stadium rolls out in one piece and simply sits outside, but there's not room at the WHL site for this situation unless it's tucking underneath the Sainsbury's? Or will the pitch be completely broken down to individual trays when it's pulled out - doesn't seem likely given the quoted 25 minute timeframe. Anyone have more info?

I'm interested in the storage of the pitch. The field in the Arizona stadium rolls out in one piece and simply sits outside, but there's not room at the WHL site for this situation unless it's tucking underneath the Sainsbury's? Or will the pitch be completely broken down to individual trays when it's pulled out - doesn't seem likely given the quoted 25 minute timeframe. Anyone have more info?
It is broken into three trays and then slides under the south stand (single tier). You won't see it because we will build a podium above it. Essentially the area around the South Stand will be raised. When it is not slide back the area will be a car park. See below.

new_tottenham_stadium35.jpg

The mechanics of it actually appear to be quite simple - wheels on rollers. The real challenge was ensuring that the trays came together seemlessly. For that reason, I would think they would try and limit the amount of times the pitch is stored to help ensure maximum field quality and integrity.

But again, I don't think it will be a huge concern - the breakthrough is more utilizing several established pitch and mechanical techniques together in a unique way, not the individual parts themselves.

I'd say it's similar to putting a camera on a cell phone - both the phone and camera were already existing, but combining the two was unique and a breakthrough at the time. Retractable pitches on rollers have been in use for a while, and knitting together a playing surface from disparate parts is also fairly common, but this is the first time they have been combined on this scale and purpose.
The firm did something similar to ascot racecourse. The horses don't trip up on the seams and it doesn't get fucked up by galloping horses.
They know what they're doing
http://www.scxspecialprojects.co.uk/cache/filelibrary/59/library/fileLibrary/2014/2/Ascot.pdf

It is broken into three trays and then slides under the south stand (single tier). You won't see it because we will build a podium above it. Essentially the area around the South Stand will be raised. When it is not slide back the area will be a car park. See below.

new_tottenham_stadium35.jpg
Gotcha. I don't know why I was thinking it was rolling under the North stand, South stand makes much more sense with the site layout.

Back
Top Bottom