New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The mechanics of it actually appear to be quite simple - wheels on rollers. The real challenge was ensuring that the trays came together seemlessly. For that reason, I would think they would try and limit the amount of times the pitch is stored to help ensure maximum field quality and integrity.

But again, I don't think it will be a huge concern - the breakthrough is more utilizing several established pitch and mechanical techniques together in a unique way, not the individual parts themselves.

I'd say it's similar to putting a camera on a cell phone - both the phone and camera were already existing, but combining the two was unique and a breakthrough at the time. Retractable pitches on rollers have been in use for a while, and knitting together a playing surface from disparate parts is also fairly common, but this is the first time they have been combined on this scale and purpose.

There's a bit more to the mechanics than just wheels on rollers. 68 motors, hundreds of wheels, numerous hydraulic actuators, pulling and locking mechanisms for the pitch, locking mechanism for the raised touchline, pitchflaps (they're called touchline flaps in the vid....but pitchflaps sounds much better.) There is a whole host of electrical, mechanical and other moving parts, all operating in a harsh environment, being used here.

My reply was to BF3 saying it would only be retracted 4-6 times a season. Something like this would have a planned preventative maintenance schedule and everything would be checked regularly, they could well end up retracting it in every Monday for a few hours. Add to that, adverse weather conditions. If it's going to piss down all week, the trays that the pitch sits in would collect all the water and increase drastically in weight running the risk of damaging everything. And why would you want the pitch out in torrential rains, frosts and snows when you can take it indoors and give it perfectly controlled growing conditions.

Actually, after reading that back, I wouldn't be surprised if it was retracted most of the time.

Still don't like that our pitch isn't the one that sits there permanently and is wheeled in and out almost like it's not as important as the other pitch.

Still it's not my stadium and there's not much I can do about it really. Would prefer the turf to be in the ground and not on a platform being wheeled out but as long as it doesn't make a difference to the players or atmosphere it won't really have an impact I guess

Still don't like that our pitch isn't the one that sits there permanently and is wheeled in and out almost like it's not as important as the other pitch.

Still it's not my stadium and there's not much I can do about it really. Would prefer the turf to be in the ground and not on a platform being wheeled out but as long as it doesn't make a difference to the players or atmosphere it won't really have an impact I guess
The splitting of the pitch is new but this is not a new concept.

Having just watched those videso of it knitting together at the training ground I feel reassured. Its being tested thoroughly.

Advantage of the football pitch being above is also for the spectators of both sports so we are at ground level, whereas the NFL pitch is sunk down as they are in the states so the crowd can see over the heads of all the staff alongside the playing surface.

Skip beyond the animation (same as already released) to the bit at the training ground as it has some additional footage.

Great couple of videos, showing the pitch being tested. I shouldn't be surprised but the level of detail in installing test trays at the training ground to try it out is very reassuring. I'm sure the players would have been involved and had their say and any problems ironed out.
Nice its being down by a British company too.

Much prefer that the football pitch wheels in and out. The alternative is a worse playing surface. You would have to sit the rails under the footy pitch, so instead of 3 seams you'd have 6 (one for each side of the 3 rails. Other option would be placing the rails atop the pitch, creating rutting.

The other advantage of the removable pitch is that it can be stored under grow lights during periods of little sunlight or poor weather, and/or sections that are damaged can be much more easily replaced.

Done properly, and it sounds as if Spurs are sparing no expense, it should result in one of the highest quality pitches in the Premier League and still allow for the stadium to be used for other events on a regular basis to generate income (for example, Woolwich cannot really host concerts at the Emirates during the football season because it would severely damage the pitch).

Premier League finances: the full club-by-club breakdown and verdict

Old article I just came across so apologies if this horse has already been kicked. But we often talk about what the club will be capable of "after the increased stadium revenue" when we have better "financial parity" and glancing over the accounts it just feels like we're being a bit optimistic.

Figure in optimistically:

£20M Nike raise
£10M in improved terms for AIA
£50M in additional matchday income (very optimistic as it'd put us just behind United in this regard)
£10M in stadium sponsorship (in the neighborhood of what new stadiums globally are being named for)

Additional turnover: £90M
Total turnover: £300M

That puts us level with the dippers in 5th BEFORE you factor in their new stand. Likely to remain £50M+ behind them and woolwich, a gap that can be closed with some silverware and the fact we actually make money via the academy. But Chavs and City will continue to dope, and the commercial monster that is United isn't relenting any time soon.

All of this to say - we really ought to look at holding Poch's family hostage for about 20 years.

Old article I just came across so apologies if this horse has already been kicked. But we often talk about what the club will be capable of "after the increased stadium revenue" when we have better "financial parity" and glancing over the accounts it just feels like we're being a bit optimistic.

£20M Nike raise
£50M in additional matchday income (very optimistic as it'd put us just behind United in this regard)
£10M in stadium sponsorship (in the neighborhood of what new stadiums globally are being named for)

That puts us level with the dippers in 5th BEFORE you factor in their new stand. Likely to remain £50M+ behind them and woolwich, a gap that can be closed with some silverware and the fact we actually make money via the academy. But Chavs and City will continue to dope, and the commercial monster that is United isn't relenting any time soon.

All of this to say - we really ought to look at holding Poch's family hostage for about 20 years.
Indeed. In terms of financial power we're looking at City, United and Chelsea being out ahead, with a trio behind them of ourselves, Woolwich and Liverpool who are still close enough to compete given strong management.

£20M Nike raise

You need to add in another 50m for tv rights, and another 40m for CL tv rights.

You need to add in another 50m for tv rights, and another 40m for CL tv rights.
I was simply talking increased revenue from our current situation. All our competitors are getting the same tv and CL money, so we're only keeping pace in that regard. The CL is only worth £40M if you win it, a realistic figure would be £20M which puts us that bit closer to LFC and Arse...but probably still a shade behind and all a lot behind the top 3.

Back
Top Bottom