Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The way people are talking about Skipp being “limited” just makes me want the club to get rid of Nuno ASAP, the kid needs a progressive manager.

All throughout his youth career and with Norwich people have spoken on what an excellent footballer he is. We cannot afford to have his development stunted.
Skipp is pretty much 7 games into his career as an EPL first teamer. He’s not going to be Zidane over night. He’s doing fine.

3 mins: CLOSE! Gallagher whips a brilliant free-kick in from the right which Skipp flicks onto Hardwood-Bellis at the back post, but he can only find the side-netting with an instinctive volley.

5 mins:England off to the perfect start in Slovenia!

Skipp's brilliant pass releases Brewster through on goal. He drives into the Slovenian area where he has his heels clipped just as he goes to pull the trigger.

England want a penalty but Conor Gallagher doesn't hang around and wait for the decision, backs up his team-mate and seizes the advantage by lashing the opener into the bottom corner.

41: OVER! Skipp wraps an excellent pass out to Palmer, who skips inside two defenders only to have the ball taken off him by Gallagher, who fires over from 18 yards. The Crystal Palace midfielder is hungry for goals but just snatched at that one.

Last edited:
I’m still not in awe with the midfield pairing in our team. I think it’s one of our weaknesses. Having said that, I think Skipp is doing well. I don’t like a pairing of two defensive midfielders as it creates less attacking opportunities. For most of last year, Hoijberg was almost exclusively the last man back in the midfield and I thought that would be the same again even when Skipp came in but I am noticing that Skipp tends to be the guy making the last gasp challenges and is closer to our defence then Hoijberg. Hoijberg seems to be getting more forward passes in and creating a bit more link up play. If Hoijberg can be the Henderson of our team and Skipp the Fabinho, then there is some potential there. I don’t think Skipp will ever be a world class DM but I’d love to be proved wrong.

I’m still not in awe with the midfield pairing in our team. I think it’s one of our weaknesses. Having said that, I think Skipp is doing well. I don’t like a pairing of two defensive midfielders as it creates less attacking opportunities. For most of last year, Hoijberg was almost exclusively the last man back in the midfield and I thought that would be the same again even when Skipp came in but I am noticing that Skipp tends to be the guy making the last gasp challenges and is closer to our defence then Hoijberg. Hoijberg seems to be getting more forward passes in and creating a bit more link up play. If Hoijberg can be the Henderson of our team and Skipp the Fabinho, then there is some potential there. I don’t think Skipp will ever be a world class DM but I’d love to be proved wrong.

Neither are true 6s but almost every top team wants one of those guys. It’s been Man Us weakness for years. There’s simply not that many elite ones. So the griping about these guys not being one is stupid. Both Skipp and PEH are 6/8 tweeners and have looked pretty good together I think. PEH is the better one going forward at this point so that seems to be his role. We have certainly looked much better in a 4-2-3-1 than the 433.

Neither are true 6s but almost every top team wants one of those guys. It’s been Man Us weakness for years. There’s simply not that many elite ones. So the griping about these guys not being one is stupid. Both Skipp and PEH are 6/8 tweeners and have looked pretty good together I think. PEH is the better one going forward at this point so that seems to be his role. We have certainly looked much better in a 4-2-3-1 than the 433.
My hope belife is we will evolve improve to the point where with the addion of Sarr. And the acquisition of a genuine playmaker Skipp and PEH are playing for the same spot in the side. The way the play rotating them would be very beneficial.

One thing i really like about him is he seems to have a nose for danger. There was a recovery tackle in the first half today which was a good example. He really sprinted to make an important challenge. Not all midfielders have that sense or awareness.

One thing i really like about him is he seems to have a nose for danger. There was a recovery tackle in the first half today which was a good example. He really sprinted to make an important challenge. Not all midfielders have that sense or awareness.

When Rice first came on the scene for West Ham he looked ponderous and not always great on the ball, he still is sometimes but my god does he have a noise for danger. Skipp is actually ahead of Rice if I compare him to Rice’s first season as a full West Ham player. If Skipp does develop further (and that is always a big if!) we could have an quality DM of Rice level, maybe even Parker if we are lucky.

Thought he was good today, and a large part of why we were completely dominant from minutes 10-89. 97% passing accuracy on 76 passes, some important interceptions and tackles.

Oh I think the world of Skipp. He’s growing into an elite player that can give Declan Rice a run for his money in the England team. He and PEH are a great duo in the middle of the park.

Consequently I have high expectations and he was having a stormer yesterday until he made a mistake and had to back off a bit. Something to learn from.
He’s a little bit reckless at the moment and not ready for the non contact nature of the snore fest that is international football. Great PL player tho and I think his time will come.

Rice is very accomplished with his passing and tackling now, he was similar to Skipp a few years ago

To be honest, most of his passing is simple, and Winks at his best was a better tempo passer, but Skipp offers much greater defensive presence
It’s simple but still often a quick forward pass… agree on the def presence, he’s a better DM than PEH let alone Winks

Skipp is waaaay more of a #6 than PEH is and as young as he is we can hone him further if that's the longer term plan for him.... I say we go for it.

Afterall; Like you say, there's not many elite one's about whereas we're dripping with potential #8's..... Especially considering Sarr is to join too next summer.

Still want Kessie in Jan tho'......

Skipp/PEH/Ndombele/Gio/Kessie/Sarr would be an ace MF pool.

Back
Top Bottom