Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Skipp needs to learn from today. He may well have been our best player through 35 minutes, then he picked up a very stupid yellow card in a rush of blood to the head, and while he stuck at it and lasted the 90 he necessarily had to give a more subdued performance in the second half.

It's very difficult to boss the game in the middle of the park on a yellow, plus you don't have a professional foul to give for the team in the latter stages. Gotta be smart about that stuff.

I think he's limited on ability but makes up for that somewhat with effort and desire. He likes a tackle, as do all of us supporters. Needs to improve his passing though.

I'm not sure he is. Wasn't he more of a belated Dembele replacement? His assist stats at Lyon never suggested he was an elite provider. He's a great ball carrier and very press resistant and will chip in with some assists, but an Eriksen he ain't, and was never meant to be.

Ideally you'd want someone like Hojbjerg or Skipp, a player like Ndombele and then an Eriksen type, or at least another midfielder who can chip in with goals/assists to some degree.
Or preferably just sell Ndombele !

Skipp needs to learn from today. He may well have been our best player through 35 minutes, then he picked up a very stupid yellow card in a rush of blood to the head, and while he stuck at it and lasted the 90 he necessarily had to give a more subdued performance in the second half.

It's very difficult to boss the game in the middle of the park on a yellow, plus you don't have a professional foul to give for the team in the latter stages. Gotta be smart about that stuff.

TBF, that card was horseshit.

I appreciate Skipp for his tackles and work rate. But his passing needs to be more go forward. He reminds me of Ray Wilkins with his desire to go sideways or back. He needs to realise that if he passes back to Dier or Sanchez we end up hoofing the ball forward. Not so much with Romero.

you can be a DM and still pass forward. I’m not expecting defence splitting passses, but I am expecting a midfielder to take a degree of go forward responsibility.

still love his tackles though…

I appreciate Skipp for his tackles and work rate. But his passing needs to be more go forward. He reminds me of Ray Wilkins with his desire to go sideways or back. He needs to realise that if he passes back to Dier or Sanchez we end up hoofing the ball forward. Not so much with Romero.

you can be a DM and still pass forward. I’m not expecting defence splitting passses, but I am expecting a midfielder to take a degree of go forward responsibility.

Can’t pass forward if you don’t have options and movement, watch City and see how each player has 2-3 options to pass too. Skipp isn’t a great passer but he isn’t bad either, normally if the passes are going backwards or sideways it’s because our movement ahead isn’t good enough and the pass is thus to risky.

That card was soft as hell however.

It wasn't a tackle to hurt or foul, it was solely to force the Villa player to run out of play with the ball.

Can’t pass forward if you don’t have options and movement, watch City and see how each player has 2-3 options to pass too. Skipp isn’t a great passer but he isn’t bad either, normally if the passes are going backwards or sideways it’s because our movement ahead isn’t good enough and the pass is thus to risky.
I think sometimes he could look a bit more. He seems too eager to move the ball on and the quickest option is the sideways pass. In fairness, he passes it positively, as in he puts decent weight on the ball and it usually ends up at the feet of his team mate. Watch others under hit them or play the team mate into danger.

I think sometimes he could look a bit more. He seems too eager to move the ball on and the quickest option is the sideways pass. In fairness, he passes it positively, as in he puts decent weight on the ball and it usually ends up at the feet of his team mate. Watch others under hit them or play the team mate into danger.
He is in a place developmentally where a good coach turns him into a fine young player and a poor one Hoijberge. Tuchel would do wonders for him.

That card was soft as hell however.

It wasn't a tackle to hurt or foul, it was solely to force the Villa player to run out of play with the ball.
Fair enough, but he’s still leaving his feet to go barreling into a challenge he’s never going to win. He put himself at risk.

I love the full-throatedness of his game, but the great ones know how to modulate that. Roy Keane wasn’t picking up first half yellows all the time.

Fair enough, but he’s still leaving his feet to go barreling into a challenge he’s never going to win. He put himself at risk.

It was completely controlled(*) and a challenge he had every right to make....

(*The impact he made with the player was so gentle.)

7 games into his first proper EPL season and we play better with him than without him (even though the system and pesonnel aroudn him has been in flux)..... Stability will see him more confident on the ball... Until then he's doing exactly what we need him to do.....

If Dav/Dier hoof rather than pick out a player it's hardly fair to lay that at Skipp's door.

Last edited:
If that's your only complaint about him, he is a genius.
Oh I think the world of Skipp. He’s growing into an elite player that can give Declan Rice a run for his money in the England team. He and PEH are a great duo in the middle of the park.

Consequently I have high expectations and he was having a stormer yesterday until he made a mistake and had to back off a bit. Something to learn from.

Oh I think the world of Skipp. He’s growing into an elite player that can give Declan Rice a run for his money in the England team. He and PEH are a great duo in the middle of the park.

Consequently I have high expectations and he was having a stormer yesterday until he made a mistake and had to back off a bit. Something to learn from.
I agree. All we need now is a decent creative midfielder or two and we are set

He's a kid, let's not break him with the weight of expectation. We've done it to so many academy players to date.

If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

Agree, but then we're soo weak in the ingredients he brings (spirit, fight), so he's gonna need some help!

TBF, that card was horseshit.
He was always going to get a yellow because he'd lost the ball then gave the foul away. What's more horseshit is the amount of fouls Villa got away with - McGinn must have committed at least three yellow worthy infringements. And don't even talk to me about Targett, who should have gone.

The way people are talking about Skipp being “limited” just makes me want the club to get rid of Nuno ASAP, the kid needs a progressive manager.

All throughout his youth career and with Norwich people have spoken on what an excellent footballer he is. We cannot afford to have his development stunted.

The way people are talking about Skipp being “limited” just makes me want the club to get rid of Nuno ASAP, the kid needs a progressive manager.

All throughout his youth career and with Norwich people have spoken on what an excellent footballer he is. We cannot afford to have his development stunted.
I said this less bluntly yesterday...Good coach turns him into something special an average one....Hoijberge

Back
Top Bottom