Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disagreed.

He started really well tonight. For first 20 minutes I felt he put his mark on the game.
What was so visible was how he did not panic when opposition player was close to him. And he attempted (and executed!) some short passes in tight area that both - PEH and Bentancur would not have pulled off. I mean... he made us tick faster.

But then something happened and his performance suffered a bit. Maybe he did not manage to shake off some lost possessions or smth.

If he can keep up the level of play from first 20 minutes, he will challenge other midfielders for starting spot.
100% agree. Far more comfortable receiving and passing the ball under pressure than the blundering PEH but dropped off massively and looked out of it. A half of two halves

for me he looked a bit lost all of the time last night
not sure he looks up to a starting spot even against lower EPL teams
I was thinking the same but two things have to be taken into consideration ;

1) As others have said, injury and lack of playing time

2) Being outnumbered (AGAIN) in the midfield. PEH looked poor as well tbf, but when you have 3 vs 2 in there it's going to be hard.

Needs games but isn't of the level to get regular games.

We also need squad players so loaning him out achieves nothing either.

For me he can do a job but as a squad player but he needs to work on his condition which I'm sure he is doing.

He was out for 10 months, he needs time to recover. We will always need club trained players in the squad and unlike Winks, Skipp has a set of balls so he will always be useful. If he goes back to the level he was at under Nuno he will be fine.

Started well, but got beaten by Zaha a couple of times after which his level seemed to drop off.

I like him though, hope he can become a solid squad player for us. Lord knows, we need to get somebody from the Academy through to the first team squad.

If West Ham sell Declan Rice they could do a lot worse than taking Skipp on loan.

It would help them, Skipp and Spurs.

Skipp needs a good run of games in the Premier League and he is going to struggle, in the short term, to get that time at Spurs.

A Premier League loan is what he needs.

Started well, but got beaten by Zaha a couple of times after which his level seemed to drop off.

I like him though, hope he can become a solid squad player for us. Lord knows, we need to get somebody from the Academy through to the first team squad.

Yep bit patchy very good then bit of difficulty. However Zaha is an awful player to stop one on one.

Yep, mentioned it a few times. Bissouma and PEH are slow on the turn and don’t track runners well, he does. Also bright and crisp with his passing but if we stick to a two man midfield, is there space for a CDM and three CB’s? We badly need to go 433 or 532 and get a three in the middle with Skipp as the CDM. Even if you played a back 3 you could then allow Romero and Lenglet to push up at times and Skipp to slot in. Would see us be a bit more fluid and less rigid
Amen.

The three centre backs and CDM's is killing us creatively.

Skipp or Hojbjerg, in front of two CB's, is what I would prefer; with two other midfield players who have licence to push on.

4-3-3 with attacking full backs; especially against teams we should expect to roll over.

3 at the back is OK if we need to pay certain teams a bit of respect; especially away.

I was thinking the same but two things have to be taken into consideration ;

1) As others have said, injury and lack of playing time

2) Being outnumbered (AGAIN) in the midfield. PEH looked poor as well tbf, but when you have 3 vs 2 in there it's going to be hard.

I agree there’s this but what he did do better than Bissouma was engage the man further from the area that he did v Villa. I think that’s one of our biggest problems and why we have conceded so many goals. We let the opposition midfield bring the ball in so close to the area before pressing them. Yesterday Skipp did it so much higher up the pitch. Plus he seems to want to do things just that bit quicker.

I like him. He needs a good run of games now.

If West Ham sell Declan Rice they could do a lot worse than taking Skipp on loan.

It would help them, Skipp and Spurs.

Skipp needs a good run of games in the Premier League and he is going to struggle, in the short term, to get that time at Spurs.

A Premier League loan is what he needs.
I like Skipp but agree with this. Just don't see him getting enough gametime with the guys ahead of him, he's at an age where he needs to play significant minutes and I don't see it happening with us this season. Thought he was okay first 20mins last night and poor after that.

I already trust him ahead of Bissouma. Does more to impose himself on the game and I don't feel confident with Bissouma in the midfield at all.

PEH and Bentancur picks itself if they're both available but Skipp is the next best thing we have IMO.

Don't want him to go anywhere and I'm not just saying that because he's a local boy from my hometown.

I like Skipp but agree with this. Just don't see him getting enough gametime with the guys ahead of him, he's at an age where he needs to play significant minutes and I don't see it happening with us this season. Thought he was okay first 20mins last night and poor after that.
Problem is we need depth. So you can't loan out our depth players.

Either he proves to be good enough to break through and play more or he provides squad depth for a few years and we sell him once he looks for a move for more game time.

What I would say is that Skipp's presence in the starting 11 seemed to contribute to Spurs bright start to this game in the opening 20 minutes. Skipp was involved in breaking up Palace attacks and playing simple passes, when he found himself in space through the middle, to the wide and attacking players.

Hojbjerg and Skipp worked better than Hojbjerg and Bissouma.

Zaha was kept very quiet in these early stages but did come back into the game and began to win the battle.

When you compare what Zaha did to Tanganga last season; Skipp deserves a bit of credit for his contribution last night.

I think he did a good job overall against a very experienced key player for Palace.

Especially when you consider how many minutes Skipp has had in competitive matches this season.

Conte referred to him as 'Skippy' in his interview which suggests he has time for him and I guess during the World Cup he had opportunities to coach Skipp and drill him on what he expects.

I really think Skipp will become a top Premier League player.

The comparisons with Winks are unfair. Skipp is a different player. If he goes on loan and plays regular games I think he will push for a regular starting role at Spurs quite quickly.

He needs 30 consecutive games to learn the league.

Either he proves to be good enough to break through and play more or he provides squad depth for a few years and we sell him once he looks for a move for more game time.
Yeah, for me it's not a good situation. Ideally White or another academy player would be physically good enough to be the 5th midfield option and keep just one of Sarr/Skipp for the rest of the season. As it is, I don't see Skipp starting much more than 5 or 6 games before the summer.

Amen.

The three centre backs and CDM's is killing us creatively.

Skipp or Hojbjerg, in front of two CB's, is what I would prefer; with two other midfield players who have licence to push on.

4-3-3 with attacking full backs; especially against teams we should expect to roll over.

3 at the back is OK if we need to pay certain teams a bit of respect; especially away.
3 at the back with 3 CM’s still works, albeit it would be good if one of the CM’s breaks the lines….

Hojbjerg had a really poor game and didn't help him at all last night, Lost the ball constantly and gave a load of hospital passes to Skipp

i think him and PEH wasnt great last night. but in what game would that pairing be good? it doesnt sound like a good combo to me at all. both PEH and skipp are better suited to partnering the other options. it lacks pace and neither are good enough on the ball to overcome the lack of pace. they are very similar and the sort of player they are they need a partner who offers something they cant.

the amount of ground sarr could cover when he came on compared to PEH and skipp was a joke. in a 2 you need someone who can get about at speed.

Back
Top Bottom