Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Skipp's experience starting to build up nicely :

2020/21
- Norwich - 18 Starts (0) from bench - 1557 minutes
2019/20
- Spurs PL - 1 start (6) from bench - 73 minutes
- Spurs LC - 1 start (0) from bench - 78 minutes
- Spurs FAC - 1 start (0) from bench - 120 minutes
- Spurs CL - 0 starts (2) from bench - 29 minutes
2018/19
- Spurs PL - 2 starts (6) from bench - 216 minutes
- Spurs LC - 0 starts (2) from bench - 6 minutes
- Spurs FAC - 2 starts (0) from bench - 180 minutes

He's now played over 2,200 minutes (equivalent to 25 complete games) of first team competitive games, but the importance of the loan is obvious when he's played almost 70% of those minutes this season at Norwich.

To add to that is 5 starts for E u21's with 2 appearances off the bench adding another 470 minutes.

Oliver Skipp passed another milestone today with his 20th successive start for Norwich clocking up 1737 minutes there (subbed off in 4 games usually for tactical reasons).

Great experience with the loan going as good as it could be, helping take Norwich to top of Championship table.

Oliver Skipp passed another milestone today with his 20th successive start for Norwich clocking up 1737 minutes there (subbed off in 4 games usually for tactical reasons).

Great experience with the loan going as good as it could be, helping take Norwich to top of Championship table.
So let me get this right. A championship player and al the while we are trying to win the big one.

What is No?

iu

So let me get this right. A championship player and al the while we are trying to win the big one.

I met a poster on SC who said something similar about a rookie striker playing in League 1 and then Championship scoring goals for fun.

His bet was that he would eat his underpants if that striker ever made it in PL.

He had to stop posting for a year (due to too many people asking for evidence he kept his word) when Harry scored a goal in each of his first 3 successive PL starts.

I met a poster on SC who said something similar about a rookie striker playing in League 1 and then Championship scoring goals for fun.

His bet was that he would eat his underpants if that striker ever made it in PL.

He had to stop posting for a year (due to too many people asking for evidence he kept his word) when Harry scored a goal in each of his first 3 successive PL starts.
What a silly man.

He was hardly "scoring goals for fun" on loan, 14 goals in 56 games.

I remember seeing his debut vs Hearts and doubting he'd be any great shakes. That was what the vast majority thought, about the only person who never wavered was Windy as far as I remember it.

I remember seeing his debut vs Hearts and doubting he'd be any great shakes. That was what the vast majority thought, about the only person who never wavered was Windy as far as I remember it.

I've played football with Harry Kane and even I doubted his ability to make it. So I'm genuinely not surprised if anyone bar those who overrate our youngsters to be special would think similar.

Debut aged 17 as the first leg had been won 5 - 0 so it was a dead rubber, and Redknapp saw no downside in getting his debut out of the way. No surprise he wasn't great (few players are) but he did win a penalty.

His first loan at Orient and he took time to get going but ended at about 5 goals in 18, a little under 1 in 3, no disgrace for an 18 year old. At Millwall in the following season he spent the first ten or so games being played as a cm or winger scoring about once, before being played up front as a 2nd striker where he started scoring at a rate of one in 2 games scoring about 9 goals.

Then had 2 seasons of disastrous loans - firstly at PL Norwich where he got injured in about his 3rd game ruling him out fir the rest of the season and then on loan at Leicester where he shared the bench with Jamie Vardy and not sure he started many if any games so no surprise only a couple of goals - I suspect your stats include a number with a handful of minutes in the game and being played as a cm or winger, take those out and he's probably 1 in 3 or better, very decent stats for a teenager in a mans game.

But when aged 20, he was given his first PL start at back end of 2013/14, scored and repeated that feat in the next two games getting 3 goals from 7 PL starts.

Next season he was Spurs highest scorer aged 21 and PFA Player of the Year. I think you know the rest of the 'one season wonder'

So morale of the story - by the age of 21/22 some youngsters from the academy will do well, No reason to write them off as teenagers.

Skipp is now aged just 20 and looking very good in the Championship, after looking good in the few chances he got at Spurs as a teenager.

Every reason to believe Skipp may well look even better next season, with a full season experience behind him.

I could be forgetting someone, but I’m thinking this the best loan move we’ve ever had with a young player in recent memory.

Seemingly first name on the team sheet and getting constant plaudits on the Championship leaders is what you dream of when you send a player out.

Skipp should be given every chance to compete for a spot in the starting 11 when he returns. If he can step in, that’s just more money we can allocate to a goalscoring winger or top notch CB.

I could be forgetting someone, but I’m thinking this the best loan move we’ve ever had with a young player in recent memory.
Depends how you define it. Rose was probably the best loan that led to regular 1st team apps but Townsend. Livermore, Mason and Carroll all made a few apps and of course along with Caulker earned the club hefty transfer fees.
Pritchard had a very successful champ loan but never made it at Spurs.
Long list of ex-academy players who had good EPL and top division abroad careers after loans and earned us a few shillings.

I've played football with Harry Kane and even I doubted his ability to make it. So I'm genuinely not surprised if anyone bar those who overrate our youngsters to be special would think similar.
Everyone doubted Harry. Actually not many can honestly say they rated him. Most of us thought at best he'd be a mid table level striker.

Back
Top Bottom