Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’ll never be Kante unfortunately, doesn’t quite have that dynamism, and he does lack some physicality, but he is tenacious, reasonably mobile, has a half decent engine and is more comfortable on the ball than Sissoko and I think maybe Hojbjerg. Without the ball I think he reads and reacts to the game better than Winks.

I don’t think he’s going to be “special” but I think with our current paucity of options for the 6 remit, he could at least provide us with an option to rotate this season, and if he develops on, then maybe a good squad option for the next couple of years and then a decent fee of f we decide to move him on.
I agree, although I think he may have a slightly higher ceiling than you suggest as a DM.
Playing the disciplined role alongside GLC & Ndombele, he'd definitely be an upgrade both defensively and in playing it fast & simple on Winks & Sissoko.
He's a team player with a lot of spirit & determination, and I've seen no suggestions that he has an inflated ego like Dele.
Plus with Kane & Bale likely going, we need another Home Grown player.

For the record, at Skipp's age Kante had yet to make his professional debut and was on the books of third-tier Boulogne in France.

If Skipp is dedicated to his craft and handled and coached well along the way, he's not yet what he will eventually be.
Provided he hasn't reached his peak yet.

Some young players look great but never develop.

For the record, at Skipp's age Kante had yet to make his professional debut and was on the books of third-tier Boulogne in France.

If Skipp is dedicated to his craft and handled and coached well along the way, he's not yet what he will eventually be.

Hey, I would love to be wrong, I just don’t think Skipp has the physical/athletic tools that Kante has. Very few have, Kante is a phenomena.

I like the kid, he doesn’t have to be Kante to be viable/useful.

What's the plan for seeing it Todd?

First team game time? Loan?

In the context of our current situation, squad and covid damaged resources, needing many new upgrades, what would be your plan for Skipp. Genuine question.
Don't know BC. I also don't opine on things half-cocked. That's your territory and...life's curse. I will allow the evidence to guide my opinion. As I've stated before I've seen nothing of him this season in order to formulate an opinion. But I do know that comparisons to Kante at this stage are...premature (sorry to broach another sensitive topic). Glad you put a lid on that one before folks got outta hand. Hope he does well but I do have my reservations that you addressed in a subsequent post. We should probably take a peak at the guy at Lille...he seems to have the physicality and dynamism. Who'da thunk it?

Don't know BC. I also don't opine on things half-cocked. That's your territory and...life's curse. I will allow the evidence to guide my opinion. As I've stated before I've seen nothing of him this season in order to formulate an opinion. But I do know that comparisons to Kante at this stage are...premature (sorry to broach another sensitive topic). Glad you put a lid on that one before folks got outta hand. Hope he does well but I do have my reservations that you addressed in a subsequent post. We should probably take a peak at the guy at Lille...he seems to have the physicality and dynamism. Who'da thunk it?

Again, I'm asking how is that going work? How do we see more of him? Game time at Spurs or Loan ? Or do you think it would be better for him and us as a club if we don't see him for the next couple of years? Genuine* question, because you have argued for this previously.

Which guy at Lille? Soumare or Sanches?

* Genuine but with un tranche de cunty obviously/

Last edited:
Again, I'm asking how is that going work? How do we see more of him? Game time at Spurs or Loan ? Or do you think it would be better for him and us as a club if we don't see him for the next couple of years? Genuine* question, because you have argued for this previously.

* Genuine but with un tranche de cunty obviously/
If you have to say "genuine question" then that should tell you something about your past behavior/questions, no? But the answer you seek this time is "I don't know". It is, in fact, possible to not have the faintest and not resort to pulling things from nether regions. I don't know and don't need to bolster a facade.

As we will need HG players and many say he is ready (not that I take anyone on this board's opinion of a player that seriously) then why not give him a shot. Winks has already shown he is substandard and utilizing your newly shared 'plan of succession for the youts' we should move him on. Give Skipp a shot...but by no means should we stop our MF recruitment at that. Competition is key and no player should have a clear shot to starting. If he's good enough he will get games.

As I've stated for a few seasons now, give me 5 or 6 MFers this summer. Skipp, thusly, can and should be one of them. Move Winks, Moussa, and fucking Dele out. That leaves a player to compete with (and hopefully beat out) Hodgepodge as #2, another 2 players to light a fire under or bench Ndom and GLC as #'s 3 and 4...and one last one for good fucking measure since you can never have enough MFers. Or we could just keep Sissoko as that X-factor.

Which guy at Lille? Soumare or Sanchez?
Surely you know that. As reported by Sudoko in the SummerTT thread a few days ago and by you in the OTT thread a day or two later it is known that one of those players is going to LCFC. So that leaves only 1 of those players. But it was only a flippant suggestion. I would be 'against' this move as much as I was for the GLC and Ndom moves. It would be a fortune this year and show that we have no idea what we are doing upstairs. I need not lose even more faith in their decision making.

If you have to say "genuine question" then that should tell you something about your past behavior/questions, no? But the answer you seek this time is "I don't know". It is, in fact, possible to not have the faintest and not resort to pulling things from nether regions. I don't know and don't need to bolster a facade.

But you said you need to see more to be convinced, I concur, but how do we do that if, for example, we don’t give him some game time, or loan him?

Do you see where I’m going with this?

As we will need HG players and many say he is ready (not that I take anyone on this board's opinion of a player that seriously) then why not give him a shot. Winks has already shown he is substandard and utilizing your newly shared 'plan of succession for the youts' we should move him on. Give Skipp a shot...but by no means should we stop our MF recruitment at that. Competition is key and no player should have a clear shot to starting. If he's good enough he will get games.

All sounds fine, but remarkably similar to the argument I made for a couple of other players, that you have been busting my balls about for a couple of years.

As I've stated for a few seasons now, give me 5 or 6 MFers this summer. Skipp, thusly, can and should be one of them. Move Winks, Moussa, and fucking Dele out. That leaves a player to compete with (and hopefully beat out) Hodgepodge as #2, another 2 players to light a fire under or bench Ndom and GLC as #'s 3 and 4...and one last one for good fucking measure since you can never have enough MFers. Or we could just keep Sissoko as that X-factor.

Only if x = Shit²

Surely you know that. As reported by Sudoko in the SummerTT thread a few days ago and by you in the OTT thread a day or two later it is known that one of those players is going to LCFC. So that leaves only 1 of those players. But it was only a flippant suggestion. I would be 'against' this move as much as I was for the GLC and Ndom moves. It would be a fortune this year and show that we have no idea what we are doing upstairs. I need not lose even more faith in their decision making.

Sanches? I really don't think he'll be going for Ndombele money, even if he was going cheaper I wouldn't be interested in him for us, especially for any midfield that only involved two people and I could definitely think of better 8's out there. No matter what he's got in his boots occasionally, I still worry about what's between his ears. He's maturing, but he is 23, it's about time. Even Lille had shunted out to the right wing last few games I watched.

Last edited:
But you said you need to see more to be convinced, I concur, but how do we do that if, for example, we don’t give him some game time, or loan him?

Do you see where I’m going with this?
No, I don't see where you are going with this because it seems I addressed this right here with
Give Skipp a shot...but by no means should we stop our MF recruitment at that. Competition is key and no player should have a clear shot to starting. If he's good enough he will get games.
and
As I've stated for a few seasons now, give me 5 or 6 MFers this summer. Skipp, thusly, can and should be one of them.
So I don't know why you keep going to the dry well as if I'm not answering your question. I know you like to repeat yourself but in this instance it is unnecessary because I've addressed it. So feel free to go with this wherever you like but it seems I've made myself clear.
Only if x = Shit²
So what you're saying is that Sissoko still has a role to play then?
Sanches? I really don't think he'll be going for Ndombele money, even if he was going cheaper I wouldn't be interested in him for us, especially for any midfield that only involved two people and I could definitely think of better 8's out there.
Color me surprised. I'm shocked, shocked, that this is your assessment. You could knock me over with a feather now BC. I could have never seen this coming. BTW I don't care what he goes for (even if it's a mealy mouthed statement considering COVID and all) as it still doesn't matter to my suggestion from 3 seasons ago. What matters is we'd have a fine player on our hands for what is now a paltry sum and would have had actual MF help when we needed it.

It was thinking outside the box BC...outside any box including mental boxes one constructs for themselves. That would have been 2+ seasons of a player on the rise to the level of his natural talent. And maybe we wouldn't have had to suffer Sissoko's exploits...or worse, your yammering on about such.
No matter what he's got in his boots occasionally, I still worry about what's between his ears.
Ahhhh, the nebulous doubts that can be ascribed to any player so BC won't have to reassess his previous. Know it well. Sure do look forward to this level of granular critique when it comes to our youth players. But as you've told me 'I can't prove you wrong'.
He's maturing, but he is 23, it's about time.
I will remember this...but as you are king of the edit it might not be here when I check my bookmark.
Even Lille had shunted out to the right wing last few games I watched.
Ahhh, more aspersions cast. I'll add this to the 'occasionally' further up. Don't worry BC 'you weren't wrong'. You weren't right but you can't be proven wrong. There! Happy? I know you are.

I could definitely think of better 8's out there.
Sure you could. And I would be 100% behind your eye for a player as I've been for all of the 100K you mention every season. How's that go? See young player on team A, mention in thread anything positive they did and make sure to say "one to keep an eye on"...but don't forget the question mark at the end...it gives plausible deniability when the kid is shit.

It makes me think back to our battles over Sessegnon and all the things you saw in him that my naivete and ignorance wouldn't allow me to see. Even now when you still see him as a LW and I foolishly wonder if there is any place for him at the PL level and still wonder why he was even purchased in the first place...and at that number - the last 2 being the most salient points.

But feel free to regale me with names of the magnificent 8's that you have your eye on. I await with bated breath because I know you've put in the time to not only see their strengths but to also work out their warts (like Sanches' issues between his ears). That's why I'll feel comfortable taking your suggestions.

Got a lot of hope for Skipp. He acts like a leader on the pitch and seems driven, the type of player to want to push and improve bit like Kane.

He is aggressive, positionally smart, can drive forward well and has a good engine. At the very least a decent cover for Hojbjerg next season.

Oliver-Skipp-training.jpg

The lad wears shorts where others wear trousers and tights.

That’s all I need to know about him.

Still a better scout than the fat useless cunt that is Steve Hitchen.

Fifa and Football Managers scouts do better at spotting potential and estimating transfer price estimates than Steve Hitchens.

A robot throwing darts at a dart board with pictures of players on it does better than Steve Hitchens.

Continue the game..

Provided he hasn't reached his peak yet.

Some young players look great but never develop.
Paul Moran
Mark Robson
John Polston
Andy Polston
Guy Butters
Neale Fenn
(though he had 'other' issues)
Ollie Morah
Jonathan Blondel,
the Belgian kid who was meant to be the next Enzo Scifo!
Terry Dixon.....

The list goes on.... we've got previous!

Back
Top Bottom