Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

His loan has been great from a developmental point of view, he started at Norwich playing the deeper of the midfield two, he didn't have a shot until December and only scored once in February but that's not the whole story.

Not sure how good Farke is but he certainly saw something in Skipp, he moved him further up the field and had him playing more as a box to box midfielder. The only downside was when Skipp was staying back he was almost never out of position, when he switched to box-to-box he was caught a few times and picked up half a dozen yellow cards as he arrived late on tackles. That said his contribution in terms of attacking passes and creating space in the final third increased a lot.

The problem is we have Ndombele, Dele, LoCelso who all play the more forward midfield role. Much as Skipp enjoyed himself in a very attacking and dominant Norwich side if he is to succeed at Spurs more likely it will be in the defensive midfield role.

Depending on the transfer window a new contract (extend to 2025) and a further loan to Norwich may well be the best development for Skipp ... not sure how he gets much game time behind PEH, Dele, Ndombel, LoCelso. Having him warming our bench for a season, not sure that works for anyone.

I'd suggest we need both Skipp and (ideally) someone like Sabitzer to join for next season, with Sissoko leaving, giving these alternatives in midfield .

Ndombele/Lo Celso
Hojbjerg/Skipp
Sabitzer/Winks

I actually think Skipp is better on the ball and with greater mobility than Hojbjerg - so in some games they could play together.

Also covers injuries a lot better - this season Hojbjerg has been grossly overplayed and for last couple of months has been far less effective than he was in say October, due to tiredenes,

Ndombele is great at what he does, but needs to do more of it/be more productive - tiredness as Lo Celso out so often this season, Need to see what happens next season - might need Dele as an alternative if same issues next season ?

I think Dele is better as a 2nd striker/AM rather than CM - not sure who our striker/AM options will be next season other than we'd hope Kane and Son will stay as we need their goals. Dele can be a more effective goalscorer than either Moura or Lamela so I'd hope he's part of that.

Sure Skipp could go on loan next season - but I think Spurs need him next season, just need to ensure manager plays him maybe 30 games and then we see a peak Skipp in 2022/23

Better than Sissoko even with a broken foot.
Really hope he's given a chance next season and this effectively confirms the of Winks
Honest question... is he more of a Sissoko or Winks replacement?
None strike me as a 'midfield destroyer' and .maybe cos of his stature, Skipp is more akin to Winks... but I was hoping, beyond hope he's got the potential to be more of a Makeleke/Kante type player... neither if those players are 'big' in stature exactly.... don't stop em being world class though!

None strike me as a 'midfield destroyer' and .maybe cos of his stature, Skipp is more akin to Winks... but I was hoping, beyond hope he's got the potential to be more of a Makeleke/Kante type player... neither if those players are 'big' in stature exactly.... don't stop em being world class though!
I think he's miles better than both - possibly a Wanyama replacement?

I’d say he’s more of a Winks replacement/competition. I think it’s got to the stage with Sissoko that we don’t even know what we expect from him as a club anymore. Personally I think we could just sell him and not even worry about replacing him.

I’d say he’s more of a Winks replacement/competition. I think it’s got to the stage with Sissoko that we don’t even know what we expect from him as a club anymore. Personally I think we could just sell him and not even worry about replacing him.
That sums Sissoko up perfectly, there would be absolutely no need for a “in search of Moussa Sissoko’s replacement” thread....

He’ll never be Kante unfortunately, doesn’t quite have that dynamism, and he does lack some physicality, but he is tenacious, reasonably mobile, has a half decent engine and is more comfortable on the ball than Sissoko and I think maybe Hojbjerg. Without the ball I think he reads and reacts to the game better than Winks.

I don’t think he’s going to be “special” but I think with our current paucity of options for the 6 remit, he could at least provide us with an option to rotate this season, and if he develops on, then maybe a good squad option for the next couple of years and then a decent fee of f we decide to move him on.

Back
Top Bottom