Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is it only me that watched that and thought,that's exactly what our midfield has been missing?
I hope we don't put too much pressure on him when he comes back.

No, I had the same thought after watching.
I haven’t watched a massive amount of Skippy at Norwich this season, but what I have seen I’ve been impressed with. I really like this lad and I hope he gets regular playing time with us next season. I really think he can do a job for us.

No, I had the same thought after watching.
I haven’t watched a massive amount of Skippy at Norwich this season, but what I have seen I’ve been impressed with. I really like this lad and I hope he gets regular playing time with us next season. I really think he can do a job for us.

I have. He has been great. You can tell he had a special relationship with Farke because as the season went on you can see Skipp's positioning change and it be alluded to by the manager in post match pressers.

Watching PEH hobble around against Leeds it is obvious he needs to be rested. I assume that Skipp will come in for rotation or with a clever manager he can squeeze them both in if tactics require it.

One of the highlights of the season for him is when Farke wanted him to start attacking more.

"I actually said before Birmingham there was one or two areas he can still improve, like in terms of the attacking side, and then in the very next game he scores at Birmingham.

"That is a good sign he listens to what I demand. I think he was too surprised to celebrate.

This carries on to the Huddersfield game. Skipp runs the length of the pitch to attack and wins a pen. That is pretty cool in itself but they were already up by five goals. He was just doing what he was told.

I have. He has been great. You can tell he had a special relationship with Farke because as the season went on you can see Skipp's positioning change and it be alluded to by the manager in post match pressers.

Watching PEH hobble around against Leeds it is obvious he needs to be rested. I assume that Skipp will come in for rotation or with a clever manager he can squeeze them both in if tactics require it.

One of the highlights of the season for him is when Farke wanted him to start attacking more.

"I actually said before Birmingham there was one or two areas he can still improve, like in terms of the attacking side, and then in the very next game he scores at Birmingham.

"That is a good sign he listens to what I demand. I think he was too surprised to celebrate.

This carries on to the Huddersfield game. Skipp runs the length of the pitch to attack and wins a pen. That is pretty cool in itself but they were already up by five goals. He was just doing what he was told.

Thank god we sacked josé then. He'd have ruined him for good.

Please don't screw up this next manager signing Levy. Find another Poch, not AVB

His loan has been great from a developmental point of view, he started at Norwich playing the deeper of the midfield two, he didn't have a shot until December and only scored once in February but that's not the whole story.

Not sure how good Farke is but he certainly saw something in Skipp, he moved him further up the field and had him playing more as a box to box midfielder. The only downside was when Skipp was staying back he was almost never out of position, when he switched to box-to-box he was caught a few times and picked up half a dozen yellow cards as he arrived late on tackles. That said his contribution in terms of attacking passes and creating space in the final third increased a lot.

The problem is we have Ndombele, Dele, LoCelso who all play the more forward midfield role. Much as Skipp enjoyed himself in a very attacking and dominant Norwich side if he is to succeed at Spurs more likely it will be in the defensive midfield role.

Depending on the transfer window a new contract (extend to 2025) and a further loan to Norwich may well be the best development for Skipp ... not sure how he gets much game time behind PEH, Dele, Ndombel, LoCelso. Having him warming our bench for a season, not sure that works for anyone.

Depending on the transfer window a new contract (extend to 2025) and a further loan to Norwich may well be the best development for Skipp ... not sure how he gets much game time behind PEH, Dele, Ndombel, LoCelso. Having him warming our bench for a season, not sure that works for anyone.

Not sure he will be warming the bench. PEH has played 4000 minutes across 50 games this season.

Skipp can rotate with PEH, but also play next to him when we adopt a more defensive possession based formation.

Not sure he will be warming the bench. PEH has played 4000 minutes across 50 games this season.

Skipp can rotate with PEH, but also play next to him when we adopt a more defensive possession based formation.

That's true but I'm hoping we don't play that in more than a very tiny handful of games - a new manager needs to put us on the front foot - one DM is enough if the back four do their job - then we have two box-to-box players Dele-LoCelso-Ndombele and a front three ... in my head that's how we line up anyway.

Maybe Skipp can be cover for PEH and another box to box option ... maybe we sell one of those three listed ... interesting window coming up.

That's true but I'm hoping we don't play that in more than a very tiny handful of games - a new manager needs to put us on the front foot - one DM is enough if the back four do their job - then we have two box-to-box players Dele-LoCelso-Ndombele and a front three ... in my head that's how we line up anyway.

Maybe Skipp can be cover for PEH and another box to box option ... maybe we sell one of those three listed ... interesting window coming up.

Yeah, but remember when we are 3 nil up by half time, we will switch defensive for the 2nd half :)

His loan has been great from a developmental point of view, he started at Norwich playing the deeper of the midfield two, he didn't have a shot until December and only scored once in February but that's not the whole story.

Not sure how good Farke is but he certainly saw something in Skipp, he moved him further up the field and had him playing more as a box to box midfielder. The only downside was when Skipp was staying back he was almost never out of position, when he switched to box-to-box he was caught a few times and picked up half a dozen yellow cards as he arrived late on tackles. That said his contribution in terms of attacking passes and creating space in the final third increased a lot.

The problem is we have Ndombele, Dele, LoCelso who all play the more forward midfield role. Much as Skipp enjoyed himself in a very attacking and dominant Norwich side if he is to succeed at Spurs more likely it will be in the defensive midfield role.

Dele can fuck off. And they don't play the same position anyway.

It's clear as day Hojberg can't man the DM duties himself, and that Sissoko and Winks are useless. Skipp slots right in, and thankfully not as a starter so he has time to adapt to the PL.

Is it only me that watched that and thought,that's exactly what our midfield has been missing?
I hope we don't put too much pressure on him when he comes back.
That's my concern for him as well, and it's more about tempering fan expectations and not the club. There were high hopes for him before his loan, but it's 10x that now. He's being looked at as our midfield solution but he is only 20 and will still need time to continue his development.

If he doesn't start the first the game next season it won't be long before he forces his way in. He's so much more dynamic than Hojbjerg. Depends on who the manager is of course and who we bring in but Skipp and Hojbjerg would offer formidable protection in front of the back 4. He showed at Norwich how adaptable he is, they chopped and changed his midfield partner while he remained the one constant.

BTW: I forget to say thank you for the Olly Skipp loan. He was instrumentally a central part of City's achievements during this odd season. I wish he could stay or we could have an option to buy him. See you next season. Grab that top 4th finish.
Got a bit of a soft spot for the fine city so hopefully you lot do ok and finally manage to stay up! All the best unless you are playing us!

Back
Top Bottom