Passionate Geordies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My mate went down on a bird in a Newcastle phone box. She was so fat he was, in fact, outside the phone box.

It makes shudder just wanki...thinking about it.

http://imgur.com/1QoCpRN

I was in Block 36 today, right near to the visitors section and my god the noise from the Newcastle fans was deafening, for most of the first half and the entirety of the second half. I expect they had been on the piss since 6am, but even so their support was quite incredible today.

How I wish our home support was only 50% as good as theirs.

I was sat in the away end, was really loud. Embarrassing having them singing songs about how quiet we are, and to think that's something we try and wind Woolwich up about.

Had to take my scarf off as someone Geordie told a steward I was going to get my head kicked in, which was less warm of them.

Hang on, it's not like there was 50 spurs fans sitting with the away support, was me, my wife and two neutrals. Cheered our goal, didn't exactly goad anyone.
Mate I'm not saying its wrong, fair play to you, but I'm not surprised cheering our goal didn't go down to well amongst a couple of thousand passionate geordies, most of whom had probably been drinking since the early hours.

I sit right up the other end and it seems that all away supporters are really loud, even when that area is not full - is it the acoustics?

Unfortunately, its not just the acoustics. As I'm always in the Park Lane Lower, I can categorically say we are almost always out-sung by the opposition, even when we are winning or bizarrely, even if we've won the match. The only recent one where we weren't out-sung was the 4-0 win over QPR, but even then it was only just.

Along with a couple of others who were near to me today, we tried to get some chants started but no-one was interested at all, which was probably a reflection of the general mood in the stadium and the malaise that was happening on the pitch during the second half.

I am not sure if you attend away games, but the home fans being out sung is not something localised to Spurs.

Almost every home ground in the perm is a morgue these days. It is tragic.

I do a few away matches each season and thinking about it you are spot-on. A very sad indictment of modern football, I'm afraid to say.

I think the only PL exception must be Crystal Palace, who seem to have a fantastic home support. From what I have seen and heard on TV, their fans go absolutely wild even when their players come out of the tunnel, let alone score.

I'd expect to get verbal hurled at me all day, but I'm in WHL ffs, not Lazio
You need to distinguish between idealism and pramatism. I agree with you that in an ideal world home and away fans should be able to mix, have a beer together and watch the match, but the real world is not like that. Football is a tribal game, attended for the most by people who are passionate about their team and want to see their team beat the oppostion and prove they are better and that ' prove your better' mindset also applies to singing and size and nosie of support.

Nope, but I find it kind of sad the people goading Chelsea fans for it (can't believe I just said that). But it's the same in every ground and I have a strong suspicion the majority of people who will now be goading Chelsea's support have never been to a game in their lives.

One huge help across the premier league would be safe-standing! Needs to happen because not only are people more likely to sign standing up, but almost more importantly it'll group like minded supporters together.

Hi, yes I am from the UK, been a Spurs fan since I was 5 or 6. Never sat in the away end before.

My friends were guests of Gabriel Obertan, and they go to most Newcastle away games in London.
I have to be honest - your confession stuck me as being either from someone a) who has never been to a top flight game in the UK before, b) Someone with thinking issues c) someone on a wind up.

No one can be that ignorant of the ramifications of doing that and not need a nurse or a lot of medication.

its only what everyone who goes, knows to be the case. In the 90s and noughties it was recognised as one of the rowdiest and most passionate places to play or visit.
Now WHL is universally recognised as being a seething cauldron of discontent and moaning.
Now the cost of attendance has gone up its filled with Smoked Salmon lovers rather than fish and chip people (yep the choice is deliberate) and they either know fuck all, or seem to think that they have a god given right to be entertained, rather than bother their arses to SUPPORT the team when its under the cosh, or encourage it to do better when the performances are weak.
That and the modern affliction of demanding instant gratification, coupled with a few years of having a reasonable level of league success, and EVERYONE now seems to think that its a given that they will have a team full of Modric/Bale/VDV standard players.
So yes, it is monumentally embarrassing. I'm glad that I saw the place when it was a matter of pride to be part of the support, not ashamed by it.

I am not ashamed by our team.

Chadli smashing birds left right a centre.

its only what everyone who goes, knows to be the case. In the 90s and noughties it was recognised as one of the rowdiest and most passionate places to play or visit.
Now WHL is universally recognised as being a seething cauldron of discontent and moaning.
Now the cost of attendance has gone up its filled with Smoked Salmon lovers rather than fish and chip people (yep the choice is deliberate) and they either know fuck all, or seem to think that they have a god given right to be entertained, rather than bother their arses to SUPPORT the team when its under the cosh, or encourage it to do better when the performances are weak.
That and the modern affliction of demanding instant gratification, coupled with a few years of having a reasonable level of league success, and EVERYONE now seems to think that its a given that they will have a team full of Modric/Bale/VDV standard players.
So yes, it is monumentally embarrassing. I'm glad that I saw the place when it was a matter of pride to be part of the support, not ashamed by it.

Lot of issues here, support across the whole prem has been getting more and more tame, police, clubs and politicians can't tell the difference between passionate supporters and hooligans and treat them all the same, only a year ago there was 1882 being targeted by Haringey council and all that bollocks. You stand up and sing these days and some steward comes over as though we are fucking children, feel like the club wants it to be a sanitised family friendly but boring place. That's not to mention the ticket prices which will lead to the prawn sandwich people coming to our games instead of more working class type fans.

The football aspect is more complex I feel, we have gone from the crazy mid table counter attacking 4-4 score line days of the 90's and early 00's full of passion but bugger all defending to the days of constant new styles in the case of AVB a very boring style of football. The club feels unsettled, the football is not always entertaining and some of the players look as though they don't want to be there. The Redknapp 2 year success didn't help either as we temporarily became used to good football and winning and we judge everything by that.

Want the passion back, get the likes of Mason and Kane on the pitch players with ability but also heart who will fire up the crowd, give the manager some time and let him build the squad not Levy so the football can get to a good place and we can maybe play as a team and most of tell the stewards to fuck off and put the ticket prices down to a reasonable level so old fans can come back.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/05/tottenham-fan-group-atmosphere

Lot of issues here, support across the whole prem has been getting more and more tame, police, clubs and politicians can't tell the difference between passionate supporters and hooligans and treat them all the same, only a year ago there was 1882 being targeted by Haringey council and all that bollocks. You stand up and sing these days and some steward comes over as though we are fucking children, feel like the club wants it to be a sanitised family friendly but boring place. That's not to mention the ticket prices which will lead to the prawn sandwich people coming to our games instead of more working class type fans.

The football aspect is more complex I feel, we have gone from the crazy mid table counter attacking 4-4 score line days of the 90's and early 00's full of passion but bugger all defending to the days of constant new styles in the case of AVB a very boring style of football. The club feels unsettled, the football is not always entertaining and some of the players look as though they don't want to be there. The Redknapp 2 year success didn't help either as we temporarily became used to good football and winning and we judge everything by that.

Want the passion back, get the likes of Mason and Kane on the pitch players with ability but also heart who will fire up the crowd, give the manager some time and let him build the squad not Levy so the football can get to a good place and we can maybe play as a team and most of tell the stewards to fuck off and put the ticket prices down to a reasonable level so old fans can come back.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/05/tottenham-fan-group-atmosphere
good post, your middle paragraph mirrors my earlier thoughts.
as for the last, although Mason and Kane are doing well, they are not of the Modric, King, VDV or Bale standard and passion and enthusiasm will only take us so far. We need to unearth or buy someone special who will act as the galvanising catalyst that any of those mentioned so often became.

depends. my grandmother was proper sexy.
you don't need to tell me that
snob11-219x300.gif

Back
Top Bottom