Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He really got the brunt of the British media ‘build them up to knock them down’ tactic. Plus he always seemed a bit fragile mentally, and it must be a mind fuck to go from being a star of your profession to a redundant has-been. I know he tried his hand at managing, but that was a predictable disaster. As were his attempts at punditry.

I think a good career option would be as a writer. Obviously not actually writing, but dictating observations on football matters once a week for one of the rags. Give the journalists some license to polish it up a bit and I think a lot of people would be interested in what he has to say.

I’ll always remember him fondly. That free kick against Woolwich was one of my earliest memories as a Spurs fan, and I was also lucky enough to be at the old Wembley when he scored that goal against Scotland.

He was incredible in a Spurs shirt. I’m glad he scored such an iconic goal for us.

That goal and then walking back up Wembley way singing you’ve lost that double feeling was tremendous. Easily one of the best days of my life.

He’s a Spurs player I will always be proud to say I watched in his prime, massive shame he never reached his full potential.

All these years I have had a feeling of disappointment in Gazza, in that I never felt he cared about Spurs, we were just a stop on his crazy tour and he disappeared when we needed him most, off for the money.

So reading that comment above had made my early Sunday hours a bit more enjoyable than insomnia and beer usually makes me. I stand corrected Gazza. I’d love to say “Thank you for memories that only “old timers disease” will rob me off!

I wish I were young again and cared the way I did when he and Lineker were our shining lights. Back when you could answer any opposing fan in the play ground with “so? We have Paul Gascoigne” and every little cunt shut up.

Where is my time machine ? :vdvcry:

Last edited:
If this turns out to be true I'm washing my hands of him.

Had more than enough chances and is lucky to have the support he does even now.

The incident seems to have happened around the same time he was on Soccer AM wankered.

Speak to any cannabis user of a 'certain age' and they'll spin you all the usual faux hippy shit about it: "Actually being good for you, that they give it go Cancer patients, so why not sell it at Tescos? ...and that every great song or film EVER was written whilst on the stuff..."
...whilst at the same time nervously looking over their shoulder constantly as paranoia sets in!!

A drug is a drug.... whether it's rolled up and smoked, or poured out and drunk.

When someone is murdered with a gun, you don't get people bemoaning it wasn't a knife, 'cos that's somehow 'less' of a weapon... the murder is the problem, not the manner in which it's carried out.

Same with gambling addiction... losing your family and all your money on the Horses, is no better or worse than had you lost it all betting on the outcome of Crown Green Bowls!

And its the same with the Alcohol/Drug/weed debate.

It's Addiction that's the problem...
They're BOTH addicts... it's just that for some reason, Snoop Dogg thinks he can take the moral high ground on this one 'cos he's 'aged' better!

Last edited:
I'm just baffled that people think my post about Snoop likely not knowing who Gazza was is worthy of dislikes :sandro:

Snoop didn't make the image, he shared it days after it was doing the rounds on social media. It's more social commentary than a dig at Gazza (as well as boosting Snoop's ego a bit, I'm sure).

Snoop hasn't responded to anything from Gazza himself because he clearly has no idea who the fuck he is, and that he's the other guy in the meme he shared.

Oh well :harrysmile:

Just watched both episodes of the new Gazza documentary on iPlayer. It’s pretty heart breaking from various angles, but his decline as a footballer and the breakdown of his family are so completely tragic. We saw the very best of him at Spurs when he was on top of his game and his life was on an upwards trajectory. Just left me feeling very sick and disgusted with the media and the fake pals around him.

The comment at the end from his sister that she wish he had been not quite so good at football so he could have just been left alone to do what he loved were very much to the point.

Just a massive tragedy all round.

Just watched the Gazza film - in 2 parts.

What an absolute legend, ruined by so many people. Just a lad who had great footballing skills, wanted to have a good time and have a beer with his mates.

Yet completely ruined by Piers Morgan and Rebbeca Brooks who wanted to use him to further their careers.

Just awful that he never stood a chance - people were hired to start fights with him just to get a story and getting a network of stooges to befriend him as fakes to get any inside story they could.
Piers Morgan is a gooner twat; he made money exploiting and then knocking down people like Gazza. He’s a wretched excuse of a human being.

I watched the BBC documentary at the weekend. I know some of his problems were his own making, but the press have to take some of the responsibility on the way it turned out. As a footballer, the guy was a genius, and I feel that we were lucky to have seen the best of him. Unfortunately, he was injured for the years he should have been at his peak. He was surrounded by hangers-on, bad advisers and people who used him mercilessly.
The saddest part for me was the end when they showed him as he is today - a shadow of his younger self, living alone in a rented apartment.
In a way, I wish I hadn't seen it, so I could just remember the supremely talented footballer, whose skills took the breath away.

Back
Top Bottom