Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We won't compete properly until we find a more press resistant player than him. Tge odd goal not withstanding he was very poor against Chelsea and he always is..
Just take a look at what press resistance looks like from a midfield that's 2v4 for most other 8's or 6's, it doesn't look good. Flip the coin and the 6's and 8's performances in the team that has a numerical advantage of 4v2 make them look sensational.

Every single game (6 games under Conte now) we've been outnumbered and dominated in midfield and after every single game its PEH that's been highlighted. The issue is Conte's system vs Tuchel's, it's not a player issue. Dembele would be struggling in a 2v4 overload.

Within the context of this game (dominated in midfield), PEH was our best player. Under Chelsea's aggressive press he lost possession only TWICE! He had a 89% pass success rate, that's huge given how dominant Chelsea's mid were (because they had 4v2) (Bentancur had 73%). Whilst sitting in our lowish mid-block, unable to get out he made 5 passes into the final third (Betancur had 3), the highest in our side.

I could list every single of the main individual stats and he outperformed Bentancur in every single one (I love Bentancur BTW).

TDLR: He was our best player vs Chavs and played with both hands tied behind his back with the tactical set-up by Conte.

Just take a look at what press resistance looks like from a midfield that's 2v4 for most other 8's or 6's, it doesn't look good. Flip the coin and the 6's and 8's performances in the team that has a numerical advantage of 4v2 make them look sensational.

Every single game (6 games under Conte now) we've been outnumbered and dominated in midfield and after every single game its PEH that's been highlighted. The issue is Conte's system vs Tuchel's, it's not a player issue. Dembele would be struggling in a 2v4 overload.

Within the context of this game (dominated in midfield), PEH was our best player. Under Chelsea's aggressive press he lost possession only TWICE! He had a 89% pass success rate, that's huge given how dominant Chelsea's mid were (because they had 4v2) (Bentancur had 73%). Whilst sitting in our lowish mid-block, unable to get out he made 5 passes into the final third (Betancur had 3), the highest in our side.

I could list every single of the main individual stats and he outperformed Bentancur in every single one (I love Bentancur BTW).

TDLR: He was our best player vs Chavs and played with both hands tied behind his back with the tactical set-up by Conte.
Can't agree mate. It's obvious the tactical setup is exacerbating the problem but it's highlighting the players existing weaknesses. I have been making the point since we were top under Jose Mourinho. I did not come to these conclusions under Antonio Conte so your accurate analysis doesn't apply particularly . If we want to cut the margins to the very top sides Royale Sessingnon and PEH are the obvious place to start. He needs to be squad option IMHO.

Can't agree mate. It's obvious the tactical setup is exacerbating the problem but it's highlighting the players existing weaknesses. I have been making the point since we were top under Jose Mourinho. I did not come to these conclusions under Antonio Conte so your accurate analysis doesn't apply particularly . If we want to cut the margins to the very top sides Royale Sessingnon and PEH are the obvious place to start. He needs to be squad option IMHO.
I absolutely disagree this regarding PEH, under the dinosaur we were diabolical because of how he had us set up and (and made us unable to physically compete, we were so fuck unfit). The default under Jose was to play without the ball, sit deep, it was a fucking disaster.

I have concerns about Sess too, I think he still looks timid if he can build confidence (so mentally improve) he can be a positive, if Conte and Perisic can't help him (which they look to BOTH be doing) then yeah, need to concede he's not great. Seems we've been waiting far too long to see him provide a level of consistency in his performances.

I think Emerson is doing just fine, I've said this since the day he joined. He's our only FB/WB that dominates the entire flank (defensively and in attack) (excluding Perisic as we're yet to see him play for a prolonged period in a Spurs shirt, he should be one of our best players on paper), he's NOT world-class or anything and can be upgraded but for me he's absolutely not an issue or concern that prevents us from having a good season.

The caveats here:

1. You say this every week whether he plays well or not.
1. Most would agree he is up-gradeable...... Oh wait...... Enter Bissouma.
3. We've did well against the big teams last season WITH PEH in the team...... The Chavs are the exception to that rule because of the way they set up.

Your take isn't as 'sage' as you repeatedly present it to be and using circumstances like Sunday as a platform to prop it up is mere opportunism that doesn't reflect the actual game.

Spoiler:

PEH makes the cut = 8.3.

"Joining De Bruyne in the middle of the park in this XI is Tottenham man Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg. The Dane scored Spurs' first equaliser on the day, tucking past Edouard Mendy with his only shot midway through the second half. He battled hard in the midfield, making four tackles and six clearances, to land the WhoScored man of the match with a rating of 8.30 in what proved to be a heated derby."

...........Agenda's won't wanna hear that though.

I thought he dealt with the situation far better than Bentancur did. As of right now if I wanted to get Bissouma in it would be at the expense of Bentancur, not Hojbjerg.

*dives for cover*

I thought he dealt with the situation far better than Bentancur did. As of right now if I wanted to get Bissouma in it would be at the expense of Bentancur, not Hojbjerg.

*dives for cover*

Not controversial..... There's a reasonable debate to be had.....

Bentancur has had some awesome performances, but on other occasions has been out-performed by PEH.

Thoroughly intrigued as to who Conte favours in the coming weeks and months....... Will be interesting to see what blend of skillsets he prefers.

Not controversial..... There's a reasonable debate to be had.....

Bentancur has had some awesome performances, but on other occasions has been out-performed by PEH.

Thoroughly intrigued as to who Conte favours in the coming weeks and months....... Will be interesting to see what blend of skillsets he prefers.

I think as of now I'd have Bentancur in for games we're expected to dominate and Hojbjerg vs teams like Chelsea. Bentancur's worst games have all come in big games (United, Liverpool, Chelsea spring to mind) when he's crowded out.

In these matches Hojbjerg's energy & ability to win the ball are pretty crucial, and he offers more of a goal threat too.

*dives for cover*
Neither were great. I'm not personally invested (like some )so for me it's about how do we really compete with the big boys. I think we got fourth with these players which is why I backed starting unchanged, but over time we can be better and that improvement may (will I believe) come at the expense of one of these players maybe both. As someone already said cultist think any critique of their boy be it Son or Hojbjerg is hersey.

*dives for cover*

I don't think that's an unreasonable opinion, it's a fair debate. Don't think I agree with you, but I think there's cases to be made either way.

I would 100% like to see Bissouma start vs Wolves, either way.

I'm not personally invested (like some )......

What is this personal investment that you claim others have.....?

You're insinuating you have some form of exclusivity in wanting what's best for the club.....

As someone already said cultist think any critique of their boy be it Son or Hojbjerg is hersey.

You're borderline being childish about all this; not to mention throwing strawmen around about what an undefined 'they' think.

I don't think that's an unreasonable opinion, it's a fair debate. Don't think I agree with you, but I think there's cases to be made either way.

I would 100% like to see Bissouma start vs Wolves, either way.

I feel like Conte will ease him in some more (really hoping Perisic starts though .. not least because I stuck him in the FF team) but would love to see it. He's the potential difference maker in midfield imo, Bentancur/Hojbjerg is a solid & unspectacular base but one of them alongside Bissouma puts us right up there.

Neither were great. I'm not personally invested (like some )so for me it's about how do we really compete with the big boys. I think we got fourth with these players which is why I backed starting unchanged, but over time we can be better and that improvement may (will I believe) come at the expense of one of these players maybe both. As someone already said cultist think any critique of their boy be it Son or Hojbjerg is hersey.

Yeah I agree. I currently think there's 5 players in the lineup from the first two games who we can improve on going in to the next couple of seasons if we're looking to make that step up to title challengers. That's probably pretty controversial & that's fine, some of the players who I think can be upgraded generally do a good job and I understand why people defend them.

Yeah I agree. I currently think there's 5 players in the lineup from the first two games who we can improve on going in to the next couple of seasons if we're looking to make that step up to title challengers. That's probably pretty controversial & that's fine, some of the players who I think can be upgraded generally do a good job and I understand why people defend them.

It really isn't........ Until we have 25 absolutely elite players in our squad (unlikely*) it will always be true.

(*Accepting that it is indeed unlikely, people's attitudes to those that aren't world class/elite is what's at play here.......)

"We can upgrade X" is a completely reasonable assertion; much like it has been re: Winks or whoever; but militantly banging that drum irrespective of how well they are or aren't playing from week to week is just tiresome agenda-ism.

Spoiler:

PEH makes the cut = 8.3.

"Joining De Bruyne in the middle of the park in this XI is Tottenham man Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg. The Dane scored Spurs' first equaliser on the day, tucking past Edouard Mendy with his only shot midway through the second half. He battled hard in the midfield, making four tackles and six clearances, to land the WhoScored man of the match with a rating of 8.30 in what proved to be a heated derby."

...........Agenda's won't wanna hear that though.
As I was saying… people don’t know how to rate 8s

Hojbjerg is quality.

*dives for cover*

Horses for courses IMO - I prefer Bentacour vs weaker, more low block teams (he gives us more natural rhythm) and Hoejberg in the bigger games as he’s more pro-active, as things stand.

I have a similar theory about Davies and Lenglet for LCB.

But Sunday was on Conte. And the 2 CMs and Sessegnon in particular were on a hiding to nothing in that first hour.

I think as of now I'd have Bentancur in for games we're expected to dominate and Hojbjerg vs teams like Chelsea. Bentancur's worst games have all come in big games (United, Liverpool, Chelsea spring to mind) when he's crowded out.

In these matches Hojbjerg's energy & ability to win the ball are pretty crucial, and he offers more of a goal threat too.
Idea thief. I posted something similar yesterday in the Bentancur thread. Either way I see a few people thinking like this as well now.

Back
Top Bottom